Why become a member? ×

Coolest Basses ever!

Robert Manning

For me the coolest basses ever would have to be more than just a bass, and would have to have some history.

So Macca's Hofner, the P that Simonon is tring to destroy on the London Calling cover, Jaco's jazz, Bernard Edwards MM, the bass Lynott did his last gig with... etc...

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1226437' date='May 10 2011, 05:06 PM']I already own what IMO are the coolest basses ever...

However that dosen't stop me from GASing for something T-Bird shaped with 5 strings too![/quote]

Woaa awsome! They have a very futuristic coolnes to them. I bet they will get cooler with age!

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1226885' date='May 10 2011, 10:51 PM']

Love this one[/quote]

i prefered the body shape on the Rusedski model, though i think they outsourced production to another country.
The newer Murray model is supposed to be way better but let down by shoddy quality control and consistency

Well, if anyone saw my Facebook ramblings today, it's this prototype beauty:

Made by Andy Guyton of Guyton Guitars in Suffolk for Brian May.

or at least a production model of - this one was at the London Bass Guitar Show:

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='1226932' date='May 10 2011, 11:31 PM']i prefered the body shape on the Rusedski model, though i think they outsourced production to another country.
The newer Murray model is supposed to be way better but let down by shoddy quality control and consistency[/quote]
:) :)

G&L ASAT thin line
Gretsch White Falcon
Gibson T-bird (bicentennial preferably)
Rick 3001
Anything from the 80s with a pointy headstock and P/J config.

Not on my cool list are

Singlecuts (even though they're amazing to play)
Headless basses (as above)
Status streamline/stealth/S2/kingbass (as above)
Warwicks (as above)

How fickle is that though? I think it stands to reason that basses that don't dislocate your shoulder, balance well, sound great and in some cases even look great just aren't fashionable, instead we'd all rather walk around with our left knuckles dragging across the floor, not being able to reach past the 12th fret (not that we really need to) and never ever playing an instrument designed after roughly 1975 just in the pursuit of being cool. Seems more than slightly Guitarded to me. I thought as bass players we were meant to embrace new technology and design and not be stuck in the past with our cumbersome P-basses valve amps?

[url="http://www.oliviasvintageguitars.com/bass/guitars/416/"]http://www.oliviasvintageguitars.com/bass/guitars/416/[/url]

This.

I e-mailed Gibson to see if they'd make me one, and they laughed at me.

So eventually i'll buy one and get a refin.