Why become a member? ×

Precisions - Advice needed

gjones

I went into my local Guitar Guitar shop in Edinburgh to buy a compressor today. Out of curiosity I asked to try out a Fender Precision...........and I liked it.
The ones I tried were the Fender 50's Classic Precision, the Mex standard Precision and the Squier vintage modified amber P bass (because the Jazz Bass VM is so good). They all had their own personality soundwise and although the 50's classic was the best looking, the sound I preferred was the Mex standard. I was very surprised that they sounded so different. I now really fancy one but know nothing about precisions.
What should I be looking for? Do you have any favorites? What are your opinions on the 3 basses I tried? Are there others I should try first before I buy?.

I know there's a lot of you out there who are big fans of Fender Ps. Your advice would be much appreciated.

Gareth

Edited by gjones

Only advice I have is buy one.

Whichever one you liked the playability/sound of best, get it. Put some decent flats on it, and you'll probably never look back.

I have a MIM 50s Precision and with flats, it just has a simple, clear and commanding sound that I can't get from any of my other basses.

So yeah, buy one!

Worst comes to worst, you find you're not REALLY keen so you sell it on here (advertising to a huge amount of Precision lovers!) It would be gone in 10 minutes :)

Edited by skej21

Go for the one that you liked the feel of/sound of the most.

Ideally, that very one - Fenders can be very different, even on the exact same model. If you liked a specific bass, get it. A better deal down the road/on the net may not be so good, as you may not get on so well with the one you end up with. I`ve currently got 2 US Precisions, recently sold a third one, and all of them sounded different to each other, albeit still sounding like Precisions.

I`ve had Mex Standard, Mex Classic 50s, Mex Mike Dirnt, Jap 51 Reissue, Jap Aerodyne - all good basses, not fussed about where made, only playability/sound, so I`ve kept the two that I personally got on the best with.

And thats the main thing. Playing a bass that works with you will only enhance your playing and enjoyment of the instrument.

Edited by Lozz196

The reason I asked the question was because if someone asked me to advise them on jazz basses I'd have a list of models as long as my arm I would recommend to them(or warn them away from) but precisions.............I haven't a clue about.

One thing I'm pretty sure of though is I don't like clanky P sounds and maple necks. I played a friend of a friends P bass years ago and it had that warm woody sound I associate with them from JJ Cale records. The closest I got to that sound was with the Mex standard. You're right I should try a few more and look for that sound.................I wonder if they've got a road worn?

[quote name='gjones' post='1218975' date='May 3 2011, 06:41 PM']The reason I asked the question was because if someone asked me to advise them on jazz basses I'd have a list of models as long as my arm I would recommend to them(or warn them away from) but precisions.............I haven't a clue about.

One thing I'm pretty sure of though is I don't like clanky P sounds and maple necks. I played a friend of a friends P bass years ago and it had that warm woody sound I associate with them from JJ Cale records. The closest I got to that sound was with the Mex standard. You're right I should try a few more and look for that sound.................I wonder if they've got a road worn?[/quote]

As already suggested, try a Squier CV as well if you can. This has vintage style frets so they are smaller than the usual ones used by most manufactures.

A while ago I tried the Squier CV Precision and I was VERY impressed by it's build quality. I was playing through a Hartke 4x10 combo in a small shop and I wasn't impressed with the sound though(more to do with the Hartke, which can sound a bit harsh to my ears, than the bass I think). My Precision curiosity started when I tried the new USA standard version about a year ago and thought it had quite a modern sound and not at all what I expected.
I could buy the Squier and put US pickups in it I suppose? A cut price Pino Pallidino.......

Try, try and try as they all seem different. My 77 bought new was excellent once set up correctly. Look beyond having Fender on the headstock. My longest keeper of 20+ years has been a G&L SB1, a precision on steroids? (with made by Leo on the headstock). However the Kramer DMZ4001 I acquired recently - another 'precision' -is better still. This [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=134083"]Ibanez[/url] would also be the business and is a 'vintage' bass at a super price. Leaves plenty of change to try alternate pickups if it is not quite to taste. I have no connection with it, I would buy it, but I would also get a divorce for the price. Recently bought a Yamaha BB for not much from here, yet another good 'precision' type bass.

Edited by 3below

• 4 weeks later...

I played another precision the other day at a jam night. An old US one with an action like a bow and arrow and a nail as a strap button. What a sound though none of that fancy hi fi stuff just lots of bottom end.

I thought I'd got over my Precision fixation, seems I haven't...............hmmmm.

Find one that plays well, feels good, weighs whatever feels right to you and has the tone you're looking for. If aesthetics are important, then the colour will matter, too.
What's less important is where/by whom it was made (check out Tokai HardPunchers, for example)

[sarcasm] Choose carefully, as due to the total lack of readily available spares/upgrade paths/replacement parts, you'll be stuck with what you bought and have no way at all of modifying it to better suit your taste. [/sarcasm]

My favourites I've tried?

Squier CV60s (Fiesta Red/Tort/Rosewood)
Fender Highway One (Black/Black/Rosewood)
Tokai HardPuncher (Olympic White/Tort/Maple)

MIA Fenders (all with BBOT bridges) were present and compared on all 3 occasions. I preferred those listed above in terms of playability and tone.

I [i]still[/i] don't own one yet, though (note use of the word "yet"). It'll happen eventually, but may well be a PJ or a deluxe with the twinjazz humbucker at the bridge...

I bought a Korean Squier P off here not so long ago for a song. A new set of Ernie's and a jack socket and I love it. Don't think I'll be able to part with it. It just feels right in the hands and is very easy to play.

I also have a US standard which is different to the Squier but not better in the hands?

Play loads and buy the one that feels right.

P's rock!

LC

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='sime17' post='1264688' date='Jun 11 2011, 10:19 AM']+1 for cv60 - I've had one for a week and I'm fast becoming a cv60 bore. t's a very cheap way of dipping a toe in 'p' waters without sacrificing on sound or kwalidee too much.[/quote]

Nothing boring about educating, and saving people money.

Its not the best P in the world but its certainly good enough to pass as a good P bass, and at a lower price point than its peers.
The MIA's do look really nice though, and if they had vintage frets i'd buy one without hesitating.

Edited by dave_bass5