Why become a member? ×

FS/FT EBMM Ball Family Reserve Stingray 4HH *SOLD*

Beedster

A recent acquisition in 100% as new condition (all stickers etc still on bass). Original eBay listing here:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200585229348&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_997"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...IT#ht_500wt_997[/url]

I guess buying this has reconfirmed that I am a passive Precision guy through and through. I rehearsed it a couple of times and much as I was after versatility, I ended up in position 3 (which sounds strangely passive and Precisiony) each time. I guess I know how to make that basic tone work in a band.

It is a pretty unique instrument, the build quality is outstanding and the roasted maple neck and ebony board are to die for. Not sure whether BFR is better quality than normal EBMM or just a marketing ploy, but it does seem pretty special. I have just shy of £1500 invested in this and recognise I'm unlikely to get it all back. I'm looking to trade/PX either for a decent rig or for a Precision with maple board.

A few conditions: No Jazzes, no basses other than Precisions, no amps unless they have valves.

And without wishing to sound rude, please don't offer a post-1980 Precision as a straight trade, it'll need some cash with it :)

C

Edited by Beedster

Cash price is £1250. It has all case candy (unopened) and is in the OHSC. I have registered the bass with EBMM but haven't phoned the BFR hotline to get the certificate sent, so you will be able to get that done in your name

C

[quote name='gary mac' post='1181800' date='Mar 30 2011, 07:37 AM']Blimey Chris that was a quick change about.
Best of luck with the sale.
You must stay faithful to the P bass and stop lusting after these strangers[/quote]

Just like the old days eh Gary! Agreed; I feel a bit like I've been unfaithful to my GF, and now understand why those who do such things apparently experience an outpouring of love for the injured party when they realise the error of their ways! My '65 is sitting looking very smug at present

[quote name='alanbass1' post='1181823' date='Mar 30 2011, 08:28 AM']Very nice[/quote]

Cheers Alan, hope al's well mate

[quote name='charic' post='1181825' date='Mar 30 2011, 08:34 AM']Straight swap with a MIM precision? You know you want too :lol:[/quote]

:)

[quote name='MB1' post='1181921' date='Mar 30 2011, 10:17 AM']MB1. :)
....Unreserved BUMP![/quote]

Nicely put Martin!

I would probably consider decent studio gear in PX/trade for this also

If you're after passive Precision tone, plus versatility Beedster, ever considered the Big Al? Check out 1:59-ish on this clip from everyones fave bald headed bass freak :

CHRISDABASS has a sunburst/maple on just now for about the same wonga as you're looking for?

Edited by MattM

[quote name='MattM' post='1182288' date='Mar 30 2011, 02:44 PM']If you're after passive Precision tone, plus versatility Beedster, ever considered the Big Al? Check out 1:59-ish on this clip from everyones fave bald headed bass freak :

CHRISDABASS has a sunburst/maple on just now for about the same wonga as you're looking for?[/quote]

Hi Matt

Good of you to post that mate, thanks. No, I've learned my lesson, I'm not going to get back on the treadmill of trying basses speculatively. OK, I know I can go to a shop and try a few, but as I'm sure most people will agree, it takes several hours of playing through your own gear, with the band, and perhaps live, to really know whether a bass works for you. Getting one via mail is of course, taking that to extremes! I bought the HH on the basis of very happy memories of my 'ray era, and some quite tasty sounding recordings from the time (and because I need a back-up, and it seemed wise to get something different). However, I didn't realise until I'd played it for a few days that I was always trying to find the P-tone. I guess I've moved on and these days know how to get most of what I need from a single P-PUP. This baby is brand spanking new, still has all the sticky labels with barcodes etc on it, so I'd rather move it on now while it's in that condition than keep it a few months and probably dink it a few times.

Cheers

C

Chris, gotta poke a bit of fun at yer mate.......I thought you wanted something with 'versatility'?

Nah, TBH I sympathise with you. You just need to do this every so often to realise that what you're looking for, you already have!

Guess there's no point in saying, try different strings, different amp/settings/cab(s), your minds made up. I've tried the doublebuck approach (albeit a G&L) and couldn't get back to single H quick enough. Yes it was versatile alright but I spent more time fiddling, for what I finally realised was a single H tone, than playing the damn thing.

I love the P sound myself it's just that the sound dissappears on stage for me in as it's backline only and no monitors for most of what I do so it ends up being Ray/Status so I can hear meself.

Love the bass Chris and I hope it sells quickly for yer, if it was a single H I'd consider it....

[quote name='martthebass' post='1182375' date='Mar 30 2011, 03:49 PM']Chris, gotta poke a bit of fun at yer mate.......I thought you wanted something with 'versatility'?

Nah, TBH I sympathise with you. You just need to do this every so often to realise that what you're looking for, you already have!

Guess there's no point in saying, try different strings, different amp/settings/cab(s), your minds made up. I've tried the doublebuck approach (albeit a G&L) and couldn't get back to single H quick enough. Yes it was versatile alright but I spent more time fiddling, for what I finally realised was a single H tone, than playing the damn thing.

I love the P sound myself it's just that the sound dissappears on stage for me in as it's backline only and no monitors for most of what I do so it ends up being Ray/Status so I can hear meself.

Love the bass Chris and I hope it sells quickly for yer, if it was a single H I'd consider it....[/quote]

LOL, cheers Mart, I deserve it, really.

I've tried three sets of strings and, guess what, I like it best with heavy La Bellas, which in itself says something about what tone and feel I feel comfortable with. With the 'Special Edition' EB strings it came with it is extremely versatile, anything from Flea/Miller brightness through to Jamerson thump (I'll put these back on for the buyer). I haven't really fiddled too much to be honest, I found out quite quickly the settings I like, and, well, the rest is obvious!

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='1182206' date='Mar 30 2011, 01:58 PM']... I feel a bit like I've been unfaithful to my GF, and now understand why those who do such things apparently experience an outpouring of love for the injured party when they realise the error of their ways! My '65 is sitting looking very smug at present ...[/quote]
Chris, does the '65 let you play her or is she withholding that pleasure as a punishment?

This is what too many pups on a Ray does IMO, instead of just enjoying it as a Ray and a different bass it's lulled you into trying to turn it into a P bass which is done easier and more effectively as you know with an actuall P bass.
I would love this baby for my MM collection, I would still only use it in parallel rear though :)

Long live the P bass and good luck :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1182813' date='Mar 30 2011, 10:24 PM']Chris, does the '65 let you play her or is she withholding that pleasure as a punishment?[/quote]

Better than ever Dave :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1182825' date='Mar 30 2011, 10:41 PM']This is what too many pups on a Ray does IMO, instead of just enjoying it as a Ray and a different bass it's lulled you into trying to turn it into a P bass which is done easier and more effectively as you know with an actuall P bass.[/quote]

Spot on Pete. I should have listened three weeks ago :)

I've been watching this from the start with interest but I didn't expect this outcome.

I have two P basses, one is a 51 RI but I equally like to use my G&L in neck pickup passive mode for that tone. I'm also happy with a jazz in bridge pickup mode for a similar tone. When the bands playing, I can't hear the difference really.

Apart from looks, (I love my jazz bass bound and block necks) if really pushed to own only one bass, the G&L would win, the jazz would be second. That's the logical conclusion. It does a massive range of sounds. Next year might be a different opinion and the jazz might take first place. I love them both. :)

Why not try a G&L L2000? Passive and active. P size neck. Cheap but high quality. Much underrated basses. If I was the MD of G&L, I'd treble the prices and change peoples perception of these basses. I bet they'd sell more if they increased the price.

I feel sorry for you on this Chris, and I hope you get a quick sale. What a bummer.

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' post='1182901' date='Mar 31 2011, 12:14 AM']I've been watching this from the start with interest but I didn't expect this outcome.

I have two P basses, one is a 51 RI but I equally like to use my G&L in neck pickup passive mode for that tone. I'm also happy with a jazz in bridge pickup mode for a similar tone. When the bands playing, I can't hear the difference really.

Apart from looks, (I love my jazz bass bound and block necks) if really pushed to own only one bass, the G&L would win, the jazz would be second. That's the logical conclusion. It does a massive range of sounds. Next year might be a different opinion and the jazz might take first place. I love them both. :)

Why not try a G&L L2000? Passive and active. P size neck. Cheap but high quality. Much underrated basses. If I was the MD of G&L, I'd treble the prices and change peoples perception of these basses. I bet they'd sell more if they increased the price.

I feel sorry for you on this Chris, and I hope you get a quick sale. What a bummer.

Frank.[/quote]

Cheers Frank, we live and learn. I'll be happy to stick with the Precision, trust me!

[quote name='BlueHelmet' post='1182945' date='Mar 31 2011, 06:09 AM']That's quite a nice bass. How much does the black sugar finish actually sparkle?

And Chris, in case the deal does not work out, could you drop me a short PM? That would be great.[/quote]

The Black Sugar finish is probably more noticeable in the photos than it is in the flesh, it just looks like a black bass really! I'll let you know if it doesn't work out

Cheers

C