Why become a member? ×

Bass fuzz / distortion

TheIceMoose

After a good few years away from playing I have been coaxed back into playing by some friends in need. I'm after a good chunky distortion / fuzz pedal that'll give me all the fuzz that I need without losing any bass. I used to use a russian big muff a good few years back but I'm wondering if there's anything new out there that I should be checking out?

Cheers

it's not cheap or that easy to get hold of, but the wounded paw [url="http://www.woundedpaw.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=150"]battering ram[/url] is by far the best overdrive/fuzz pedal i've ever used.

NO loss of bass, lovely overdrive to distortion and great fuzz too.

the main downside is the cost and ordering one from canada.

the upside is its ability to keep the low end intact, something i found amiss in most pedals, even those like the fulltone bass driver.

EDIT: don't forget bassfuzz.com for a great round-up of the fuzzy end of bass.

Edited by ahpook

The best bass Muff I've tried is the Wren & Cuff Pickle Pie 'B', but again it's a matter of ordering one and going on the waiting list.

The best gated fuzz I've tried is the Chunk Systems Brown Dog. Fairly rare and a bit overpriced tbh but most gated fuzzes sound pinched and nasal and awful but the Brown Dog is a full-blooded fuzz that still manages to gate really tightly.

The MXR Blowtorch is fairly unique sounding, well designed with its EQ options, and combines well with modulation effects to sound synthy, but IMO the 18v power requirement is a PITA, and it doesn't get heavy enough (or clean up enough) to be useful.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1175300' date='Mar 24 2011, 09:54 PM']The MXR Blowtorch is fairly unique sounding, well designed with its EQ options, and combines well with modulation effects to sound synthy, but IMO the 18v power requirement is a PITA, [b]and it doesn't get heavy enough[/b] (or clean up enough) to be useful.[/quote]

I found that too. It sounded really monstrous at home but didn't do the business with a loud drummer, no matter what i did.
I'd like to try one again with our current drummer as i reckon the fuzzed up mids would get through more, it just sounded a bit polite the first time though.

Back to the OP, the 2 fuzz pedals i use are a black Russian Muff and a ZVex Mastotron. Both are my idea of what bass fuzz sounds like but in slightly different ways, since buying the Mastotron i've not bought another fuzz pedal, not for everyone but give one a go. I got a bit frustrated with pedals which didn't retain low end but the 3 way switch on the Mastotron does the job - just set it to 3!

Sandford & Sonny Bluebeard or a Blackout Effectors Musket are my go to fuzzboxes

I've had a tump load over the years but these are the two I keep coming back to for 'that' sound

I've also been happy with the zoom uf-01 which offers a nice gated fuzz.

My musket is up for sale btw if anyone's interested.

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='1174921' date='Mar 24 2011, 05:01 PM']Check out the EHX Bass Big Muff, a Bass specific variant of the Big Muff, modelled on the old Green Russian. Cheap too![/quote]

^ Nice pedal, though I personally prefer the Little Big Muff - I've tried both and I found the Little pedal to be much brighter and less 'muddy' than the bass-specific version.

But heh, that's just me! Can't go wrong with EHX either way...

[quote name='TomTFS' post='1175663' date='Mar 25 2011, 10:11 AM']I say this every time, but Way Huge Swollen Pickle. f***ing awesome, doesn't lose any low end, and actually adds a load of sub, which I likes a lot.[/quote]

+1! awesome pedal.

keeps the bass so well i swear its a bass pedal! can also go from insane to quite nice fuzz sounds.

big muff cheaper but for me this is well worth the money.

andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='1176351' date='Mar 25 2011, 06:51 PM']+1! awesome pedal.

keeps the bass so well i swear its a bass pedal! can also go from insane to quite nice fuzz sounds.

big muff cheaper but for me this is well worth the money.

andy[/quote]

It's pure DOOM on guitar too, haha. So much bottom end.

I use one of 2 pedals to get my main dirt sound, first is a Myrtle Pedals Corvid Fuzz, it's basically a jumbo tonebender clones with added tone pot, it's a fat and creamy fuzz that I love! Secondly a Tech21 Red Ripper, more bass than I know what to do with, but more of an overdrive circuit with tweaks.

I do layer a few things on top to get most sounds live though. One of the above acts as the base of the sound then I add one or more of the following - Octave, Subdecay Noisebox, EHX MicroSynth and Moog FreqBox... Basically the sound gets as complex harmonically as you like.

For a single pedal option though I think Tech 21 have the right quality to price ratio going on!

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1176007' date='Mar 25 2011, 03:03 PM']Is there any secret to using the Muff alongside an Overdrive pedal? My ODB3 has a selector for distortion, but it very quickly turns to muck.[/quote]

Run an overdrive / boost into a Bass Big Muff set to dry mode and you get a super heavy yet defined distortion. You have to mod the BBM with an extra volume control to make the dry mode useable though!

Thanks Danny. I think that's the wall I've hit. Will try again tonight and make sure I've set it to Dry - I think anything else just doesn't seem to work, whilst individually they sound great.

No complaints individually - both great and economic pedals.

I start with Keeley Compressor, then Wooly Mammoth for heavy big bottom gated synth fuzz (pinch and wool maxed out) or Catalinbread SFT or Skullytone Russian Spy (tweaked green muff) for amp-like hair, grit and overdrive.
All of this going into Fender Bassman 135 all-valve head for warmth and break up.
My personal bass heaven right there!