Why become a member? ×

Your influence's bass

Phil-osopher10

Just out of curiosity, How many of you have bought a bass being influenced by the fact a certain someone plays it? I know for a lot of us our local shop doesn't have an amazing selection all of the time therefore test runs aren't possible, therefore buying 'blind' off the internet is quite a common place thing, is it not?

Yes.
My first proper bass was a Yamaha RBXJM1 after seeing John Myung use his on the Scenes From New York DVD!

Truckstop

edit: and I'm perilously close to taking delivery of a CIJ Sting '51 Signature. But not because of the sound, purely on the looks and the knowledge that CIJ Fenders tend to be outstanding value.

Edited by Truckstop

I did when I bought my first "proper" bass thirty years ago.
I was a huge fan of Chris Squire & Geddy Lee so I bought a secondhand Rick 4001.
Found out pretty quickly that hero worship is not a very good criteria for buying a bass......

Personally I think I'm a bit of a sucker for it. I bought my first 'expensive' bass £650 was pretty expensive for me! It was '94 Warwick Thumb, I know dirk lance didn't use the thumb but he did use a warwick so I wanted one. Also I do love it's tone it's yummy! But now I think I would like another 'expensive' bass as I want a night and day scenario. Have the warwick and say a lakland... oh ben kenney from the same band plays a lakland.

I'm a sucker, damn it!

Yip.

My first ever bass when i was 12 was a Marlin Slammer in red with maple fretboard after seeing john Deacon use one that looked identical to me at least on the One Vision video. Later on finding out what it really was

First expensive bass was a 5 string black Stingray after seeing Flea use one playing Funky Monks on the Funky Monks video.

Modulus Flea for the same reason, Rickenbacker 4003 because of Chris Squire and a Shine 12 string semi acoustic bass cos it was the closest I could find to Tom's Waterstone.

gallien krueger 800RB because of flea as well

If you listen to someone like Chris Squier, he tends to sound the same regardless of what he is playing.

the long and the short of it is that unless you're really lucky you're going to sound damn all like them, even if you use identical gear. The closest I got to a Chris Squire sound was with a Stingray and the closest I got to a Stingray sound was with an Epiphone Thunderbird with DR Red Devil strings.

Edited by Delberthot

When I first started playing bass my hero was John Paul Jones. It took me years before I bought a Jazz Bass though, because I always had the impression they had a thin sound....duh?. After playing an old MIJ Squire Jazz and really liking the sound (which wasn't thin at all) I took the plunge and bought a Geddy Lee, then I aquired the old Squire Jazz mentioned above and now I have a MIJ 62 reissue, which was the bass JPJ used on all those early recordings.

It took me a long time..........but I got there in the end.

Yep,

I've got a Yamaha Attitude LTD II,

Its a shame most people buy them just seeing them as a "Shred bass" where as in reality you'd be better off with a Jazz bass or an Ibanez! But i love the feel and the tone! (and i don't sound exactly like Sheehan i'll have you know!)

And i'd kill for a JM1/JM2 (I missed out Truckstop!) preferably a JM2, Monster tone, and both guys are killer players and two of my favourites,

I guess its natural that If a certain bands players playing influences the music you play and how you play your instrument you'll probably be drawn to that sort of tone

Funnily enough, it's the one gear trap I haven't fallen into, always choosing basses I like the look, sound or feel of.
Even when I bought my Roscoe Beck signature I bought it because I love the bass, only later finding out how awesome Mr. Beck is...

Then again, I have modded one or two of my basses towards the style of influences( mirror pickguards :) ).

I think that most people,if they're honest,will admit to at least their early purchases being influenced by
their favourite players.
The reason I headed in the direction of a Fender Jazz was simple.....Jaco and Marcus used them. A few years
ago,I bought my Marcus Miller signature model purely because of what it was-as it turned out I'm really happy
with the bass.
Lately,alot of players that I really dig are using singlecut basses,which made me want to try them out. When
I eventually did get to try one,I loved the feel and balance and everything and got one pretty soon after.

Although I'm at a stage where I know what I like,if I see or hear someone with something that I dig,it still
influences me to want to try it out for myself.

[quote name='RhysP' post='1168230' date='Mar 19 2011, 01:49 PM']I did when I bought my first "proper" bass thirty years ago.
I was a huge fan of Chris Squire & Geddy Lee so I bought a secondhand Rick 4001.
Found out pretty quickly that hero worship is not a very good criteria for buying a bass......[/quote]

+1

And then again with an EB3 - Andy Fraser

[quote name='JTUK' post='1168222' date='Mar 19 2011, 01:41 PM']I currently like Jazz type basses but I want to best bass for me..or my thinking.. so am not persuaded to buy a bass for some other players sounds.

Who would do that..????[/quote]

I saw this guy playing a Sue Ryder P-bass and I thought "I must get me one of those!!!" :)

just kiding... sorry, couldn't help it :)

seriously... I'd agree with the above answer. Of course I am influenced when I hear a particular sound... but I don't particularly like to look like anybody else's copy.

Jack Bruce - tried an EB3 and didnt like it as much as the Les Paul which made the same sound and more, so bought that.

Cliff Burton - bought a Rick 4001 but would really like one in burgundy like his as its a proper sexy colour. The Rick is my go-to bass for just about anything, so that was a good purchase. That bass has done a colossal amount of gigs. In fact I just restringed it. lol

And I have a lot of players that I love who have had Precisions, Jamerson, Harris et al so bought a P a couple of years ago.