Why become a member? ×

God I hate .... slap bass * THE POLL! *

Clarky

[quote name='HMX' post='1164840' date='Mar 16 2011, 07:23 PM']Generally overused for 'w***ery' but when used in the right type of song, I have no problems.[/quote]

Out of interest what's the tipping point between somebody simply playing bass and being deemed to be a fret w***er ?

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1165052' date='Mar 16 2011, 10:00 PM']I wonder how many slappers believe that people only pretend to dislike it because they're jealous and they can't do it.[/quote]
I wonder how many people who dislike slapping pretend they can't do it even though they can because people who can slap and aren't jealous are not the same people who won't.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='1165117' date='Mar 16 2011, 10:58 PM']I wavered a bit over the Tastefully option, but then I realised that I instantly kill any YouTube video that shows a bass player with their thumb set to 'stun'.

So that must make me a hater.[/quote]

But...but...Goddamn it LARRY GRAHAM, people!!
:)

I think if you 'hate' slap bass then ultimately you're not going to be good at it, not because you can't do it but because it stands to reason you probably don't practice it as much as someone who does like to play slap. It's not sour grapes or anything, probably just the reality of it.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1165370' date='Mar 17 2011, 08:37 AM']If you listen to an example like Marcus Miller's 'Run For Cover' and try to imagine it played fingerstyle, the bassline would lose all its impact.

There are many other examples, most notably a lot of Cameo songs.[/quote]

I think you're wasting your breath (virtual or otherwise) on trying to convert the anti-slap brigade. Ultimately it's likely they don't like the type of music that features slap either and will probably argue forever that even though some like RHCP, their best songs are when Flea's not slapping.

If you strip out the 'who gives a damn' votes, 24% (so far) hate slap, while 76% either love it or like it when used tastefully. Thats 3:1 in favour of slapping in some form. So I'm not sure why the pro-slappers appear to feel so backs-against-the-wall!

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='purpleblob' post='1165389' date='Mar 17 2011, 08:57 AM']I think you're wasting your breath (virtual or otherwise) on trying to convert the anti-slap brigade. Ultimately it's likely they don't like the type of music that features slap either and will probably argue forever that even though some like RHCP, their best songs are when Flea's not slapping.[/quote]

I think you're probably right.