Why become a member? ×

God I hate .... slap bass * THE POLL! *

Clarky

I've decided that on balance I actually hate it more than I like-it-when-used-tastefully.

I've even started to dislike whole genres of music where slap bass regularly turns up, and it's the slap bass in particular that puts me off.

There aren't many tunes where I can listen to more than 30 seconds of it. Especially not modern players with their gutless scooped sounds.

I've gone for "who gives a damn" as I've come to realise that at the end of the day almost every thread ends up in an argument whatever the subject :)

EDIT: And I can almost guarantee that this thread will also now descend into another place to argue over this subject :)

Edited by purpleblob

I'm not sure I understand why this subject engenders such strong feelings. It's not as though there needs to be a "do you hate fretless/fingerstyle/pick playing/distortion/five string basses...?" poll is there?

I like it in general terms, but there are times when it is inappropriate. Like any style, if it's done badly it's horrible.

I do it now and then, but I don't see why I should feel embarrassed about it?

[quote name='purpleblob' post='1164467' date='Mar 16 2011, 02:52 PM']I can almost guarantee that this thread will also now descend into another place to argue over this subject :)[/quote]

Now there's a self-fulfilling prophesy if ever there was one!! :)

I would like to think the arguments on the other thread have pretty much exhausted this topic. Was interested to see if the ultra pro- and anti-slap community would be in the minority and thus far they are - most seem to think its cool if used to suit the context of a song (my view)

I voted 'love it',because it's a legitimate bass technique,therefor I love it in the same respect that I love playing the bass using any other technique,or playing extended range instruments,or reading,or studying,or using effects,or playing upright.......and so on.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1164503' date='Mar 16 2011, 03:16 PM']I voted 'love it',because it's a legitimate bass technique,therefor I love it in the same respect that I love playing the bass using any other technique,or playing extended range instruments,or reading,or studying,or using effects,or playing upright.......and so on.[/quote]
I voted for "I think its great if used tastefully to suit a song"

I love nearly all techniques apart from tapping/hammering. I feel another thread coming on...

Its just a technique, there is nothing wrong with it really, rather the problem is with the players that feel obliged to use the technique at all possible times. I don't get the people that use slapping as a generic 'showing off in public' technique or as the only way to try out a new bass. I find I get more out of the bass playing fingerstyle to see how the bass 'breathes' and resonates when played, to me it works as a better way to try out the natural tonal characteristics of a bass.

I find that it is a good technique to learn though, even if you never need to use it in the context of band. Its just good to explore different ways of playing and seeing what works for the player. So I guess I am in the middle of the 'slap is crap' debate.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1164503' date='Mar 16 2011, 03:16 PM']I voted 'love it',because it's a legitimate bass technique,therefor I love it in the same respect that I love playing the bass using any other technique,or playing extended range instruments,or reading,or studying,or using effects,or playing upright.......and so on.[/quote]

Well said.

I was going to go for "I think its great if used tastefully to suit a song" originally but this reply is spot on. So I cannot change my vote but just assume I've pressed "I love it".

From my perspective, this is the crux of the matter:

There are ONLY two types of bass player. Those who can slap, and those who can't.

It doesn't matter if you can slap but choose not to.
It doesn't matter if you have decades of experience with the greatest names in music, or if you're 12 years old and have just picked up a bass for the very first time.
It doesn't matter if you play with fingers or a pick, play jazz or rock, old classics, modern, pop, prog, rap, whatever, IT ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT MATTER.

You can either slap, or you can't. This automatically creates a division, "us and them", those who can and those who can't.
And with any division comes elitism.
And with elitism comes envy, jealousy, derision, intimidation, superiority, inferiority, frustration, fear, anger, etc.

Those who can slap look down on and demean and patronise and condescend those who can't. Like, "Is that it? Is that all you can do? Come back when you've grown up and learned to slap like a real bass player."
Those who cannot slap are afraid of and intimidated by those who can. "I have absolutely got to learn this technique. I have no use for it, and no interest in it, but no one's gonna take me seriously as a bass player unless I'm good at slapping."

I believe this is why slap bass generates so much strong feeling.

[quote name='Conan' post='1164469' date='Mar 16 2011, 02:53 PM']I'm not sure I understand why this subject engenders such strong feelings. It's not as though there needs to be a "do you hate fretless/fingerstyle/pick playing/distortion/five string basses...?" poll is there?[/quote]
The pro & anti "Five string basses" & "Pick playing" threads come along with tedious regularity.

[quote name='KevB' post='1164504' date='Mar 16 2011, 03:17 PM']Presumably the teaspoons are like those finger extension things Tony Levin used to have on and the vole is a string dampner?[/quote]

Perish the thought. Two teaspoons and some gaffa tape make for a perfect set of vole tongs.

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='1164525' date='Mar 16 2011, 03:30 PM']From my perspective, this is the crux of the matter:

There are ONLY two types of bass player. Those who can slap, and those who can't.

It doesn't matter if you have decades of experience with the greatest names in music, or if you're 12 years old and have just picked up a bass for the very first time.
It doesn't matter if you play with fingers or a pick, play jazz or rock, old classics, modern, pop, prog, rap, whatever, IT ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT MATTER.

You can either slap, or you can't. This automatically creates a division, "us and them", those who can and those who can't.
And with elitism comes envy, jealousy, derision, intimidation, superiority, inferiority, frustration, fear, anger, etc.

Those who can slap look down on and demean and patronise and condescend those who can't. Like, "Is that it? Is that all you can do? Come back when you've grown up and learned to slap like a real bass player."
Those who cannot slap are afraid of and intimidated by those who can. "I have absolutely got to learn this technique. I have no use for it, and no interest in it, but no one's gonna take me seriously as a bass player unless I'm good at slapping."

I believe this is why slap bass generates so much strong feeling.[/quote]

I disagree. I can slap adequately (I'm no Marcus Miller, but who is .... err apart from Marcus Miller, and I'm certainly no Cluetterbuck :) ) but I choose not to as I don't much like the sound and it doesn't suit the bands I have played in. I can appreciate it when it suits the context of certain songs (Ashes to Ashes, Forget me nots, RATM stuff etc), hence my view being in line with the majority in the poll.

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='1164548' date='Mar 16 2011, 03:49 PM']and you said the argument was finished off in the other thread..... :)[/quote]
Yep, I'm f.o.s :)

As soon as people, rather than simply voting, started giving their reasons for voting it inevitably started going down the tried-and-tested BassChat route of Harry Hill-style "FIGHT"

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='1164525' date='Mar 16 2011, 03:30 PM']From my perspective, this is the crux of the matter:

I believe this is why slap bass generates so much strong feeling.[/quote]

MB1. :)
" Us and Them?..... and by the way which ones Pink?"

[quote name='lowdown' post='1164500' date='Mar 16 2011, 03:14 PM']What about that old ancient technique on the Double Bass..... 'Slap Bass'....
Is it still ok to do that?
Thought i might check before i get all polled out.

Garry[/quote]
Slapping the old upright is great- the styles of music where its used most very often dont have drums,that can only be a good thing surely

[quote name='keeponehandloose' post='1164686' date='Mar 16 2011, 05:46 PM']Slapping the old upright is great- the styles of music where its used most very often dont have drums,that can only be a good thing surely[/quote]

Agreed. And you don't have to change your strings.

Garry