Why become a member? ×

God I hate .... slap bass * THE POLL! *

Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='1165394' date='Mar 17 2011, 09:01 AM']...So I'm not sure why the pro-slappers appear to feel so backs-against-the-wall![/quote]

Hmm, I don't really see that the pro-slappers are demonstrating a "backs-against-the-wall" vibe. I just think that there are some people so closed minded to different styles of playing or different music that ultimately there's no point trying to reason with them.

For example, Pete mentions the superb Marcus Miller, but that name alone usual starts a good 10 pages of argument.

But just to balance things I also think it's extremely unfair suggesting that if somebody doesn't like a style it's because they can't play it - I like the style but I'm not that good at it, so conversely I suspect there are people who dislike it who must be better at it than me :)

Edited by purpleblob

[quote name='Conan' post='1164469' date='Mar 16 2011, 02:53 PM']I'm not sure I understand why this subject engenders such strong feelings. It's not as though there needs to be a "do you hate fretless/fingerstyle/pick playing/distortion/five string basses...?" poll is there?[/quote]
Slap is quite obtrusive though, so it needs to be used wisely.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1165370' date='Mar 17 2011, 08:37 AM']If you listen to an example like Marcus Miller's 'Run For Cover' and try to imagine it played fingerstyle, the bassline would lose all its impact.[/quote]

The best solution for everyone in this sort of situation is for nobody to play the song ever again.