Why become a member? ×

Would you pay £7,489.85 for a pair of pup surrounds?

dave_bass5

I saw this add just now but cant imagine anyone would pay this much, not even a collector. Am i wrong?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1957-Gibson-Cream-M-69-PAF-Pickup-Surrounds-RARE-/220662032274?pt=Guitar&hash=item33607b6792"]ebay listing[/url]

Check out the special offer for the screws lol.

Edited by dave_bass5

"To the unlearned, these may seem like two silly over-priced pieces of plastic, but to those in-the-know or in need of them...they're well worth it."

No, to anyone with a modicum of rationality they're over-priced. I'm not an expert in vintage guitars, but I recall a '57 goldtop going for around £25k. I'm pretty sure a 3'rd of the price wasn't the pickup surrounds.

I wonder where he gets them made?

$11,500 should easily cover the necessary tooling and bashing out, say, 100 sets. Can't cost much to nickel-plate screws either.

Nice little earner if there are mugs out there with more money than sense.

Good luck to him. Long live capitalism. :)

I don't know if these parts are priced accurately or not but it seems that you guys don't know the vintage collectable guitar market.

I know someone who wanted a replacement scratch plate for a 57 Strat. An original cost him over £3000 plus shipping from the US. There are collectors who will pay 100's of thousands for rare instruments.

It's another world out there if you can afford it!

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='mart' post='1162014' date='Mar 14 2011, 05:02 PM']Thanks for posting this. These are just what I need for my Sue Ryder goldtop. :)[/quote]

I better get in first then as my LP is in desperate need of some......

The guitar cost me £75 from Ebay (It must be a genuine Gibson cause the chap said I could trust him. It came out of his uncles attic).

:)

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='1161874' date='Mar 14 2011, 03:22 PM']"To the unlearned, these may seem like two silly over-priced pieces of plastic, but to those in-the-know or in need of them...they're well worth it."

No, to anyone with a modicum of rationality they're over-priced. I'm not an expert in vintage guitars, but I recall a '57 goldtop going for around £25k. I'm pretty sure a 3'rd of the price wasn't the pickup surrounds.[/quote]

[quote name='chris_b' post='1162076' date='Mar 14 2011, 05:45 PM']I don't know if these parts are priced accurately or not but it seems that you guys don't know the vintage collectable guitar market.

I know someone who wanted a replacement scratch plate for a 57 Strat. An original cost him over £3000 plus shipping from the US. There are collectors who will pay 100's of thousands for rare instruments.

It's another world out there if you can afford it![/quote]
This and this.

I know some 59' Les Pauls can change hands for £250'000 , I know a friend of a good friend who inheritted a pair and got offered that for one and £80'000 for a second that had a headstock repair, He kept the minter and sold the 80k one to donate the money to the RNLI as the guy that bequithed them to him had been a lifeboat volunteer all his adult life whether you lot agree with it not doesn't matter it just fuels the fire the same as classic cars for millions.