Why become a member? ×

Ok . You quit bands for good, you keep a few basses

Biggest mistake I ever made was selling my 50w fender bassman and trace elliot rigs after the band imploding.

Now I'm looking at spending a lot of money to replace them. I said I wasn't going to gig again and a few years down the line the new band is almost ready to go.

Edited by smashie

I have had my "thats it no more bands moments" in the past (like a sucker i always get tempted back) and if I was in that position again I would sell my big rig and get something small and powerful like the really sexy Mesa Combo which can have all sorts of fancy coverings. Its probably more attractive than my furniture so I would get something like that and keep it in the dining room, small, loud, attractive and capable if you ever get dragged back into a band.

Keep an amp definately. Maybe not a huge stack, but a combo, or even small lightweight head & cab, keep hold. You never know what`s round the corner. This has happened to me a couple of times, once on bass, once on guitar, and each time it`s cost me a fair bit. Though my band has just broken up, I`m keeping my TC head, and have in fact bought a lightweight cab, and sold the heavy-weights, for the "just in case" moment. Cos it will happen.................

Yep, I had a 10-year hiatus, with about half a dozen gigs in that time, just for parties or get-togethers, and I'd sold the big rigs (Ampeg SVT, V4B and 8x10 and 2x15), all but one of the basses and bought a small Peavey (and then Warwick) combo. Did me OK for what I needed. Nowadays I'd keep the whole rig (if money wasn't an issue) - the RH450 and the 1515L take up hardly any room, and the RH450 is great for bedroom practice with mp3 player and headphones. If I was desperate for money (and I had no prospects of gigging), I'd go down to just the Roland Micro Bass combo (same thing with the headphones/mp3 scenario) if only to keep me sane.

One of these days, i will give up bands for good.
It will be either
a} when my hands become too arthritic to play, or
b} when i become too old and frail to lift a bass, or
c} when they screw the lid down.

No, you don't need that Ampeg stack any more and should sell it to me for next to nothing :)

By all means sell some stuff ... but keep enough back that you can pop out of retirement at a moment's notice...

... because you can guarantee you'll get the call as soon as you've exchanged the cash and settled down to a lifetime in your slippers

Edited by Norris

[quote name='Rich' post='1147023' date='Mar 2 2011, 12:51 PM']One of these days, i will give up bands for good.
It will be either
a} when my hands become too arthritic to play, or
b} when i become too old and frail to lift a bass, or
c} when they screw the lid down.[/quote]
Let's hope c} doesn't happen before a} and b}.

I had a 4yr break where I kept both my basses (been a while since I could say that!) and my amp. I've no plans to stop but I would always have a serviceable rig and at least one bass just in case I came out of retirement. I've played with bands who've had guys in their 70s onstage so I think there is plenty of life in my playing career.

I do think it'd be a bit silly of me to keep more than 2 cabs and a head though.

I have sold all kit a couple of times (guitar and amp).

Both times because I needed the cash :lol:

I have taken an oath NOT to sell everything this time around :)

I have three electric guitars and two valve amps

Three basses and two transistor amps

Oh and a 1500w PA with speakers so big I can't lift them on my own........

My wife loves me :)

[quote name='Norris' post='1147040' date='Mar 2 2011, 01:00 PM']By all means sell some stuff ... but keep enough back that you can pop out of retirement at a moment's notice...

... because you can guarantee you'll get the call as soon as you've exchanged the cash and settled down to a lifetime in your slippers[/quote]
I agree entirely.