Why become a member? ×

Just auditioned a drummer.

leschirons

[quote name='lowdown' post='1136307' date='Feb 21 2011, 10:17 PM']And her Drum teacher, calls him/herself a Drum teacher?
The teacher should have known she was not ready - even for Audition experience. [whatever that means]
Not good for her confidence at 18.

Garry[/quote]

My point exactly.

Strange things auditions - have been abysmal at music styles I have played for more years than I care to remember (no comments about being c*** and talentless please, I know that, they just haven't caught me yet). Have played well off the cuff in less than ideal circumstances - started work at 7:30, left work at 6:30, no food, no break all day (stupid job at times - teaching), 7 pm auditioned for 1 1/2 hrs. Self and guitarist were on fire and got the seat(s).

The big thing is to leave people with self respect, hope and ways to move on. We all started somewhere.

[quote name='leschirons' post='1136317' date='Feb 21 2011, 09:21 PM']I'd find it quite interesting, maybe as a seperate issue, to hear from any teachers on here about encouraging their students to audition whether it be simply for the experience or believing that they may get the gig.[/quote]

Maybe a midweek local jam night sort of situation first to see what similar age and many none pro players can do, It would either spur her on or decide she cant be bothered to get that good. There are some great players out there who choose to do it for shits and giggles only!

[quote name='leschirons' post='1136317' date='Feb 21 2011, 09:21 PM']I'd find it quite interesting, maybe as a seperate issue, to hear from any teachers on here about encouraging their students to audition whether it be simply for the experience or believing that they may get the gig.[/quote]

The thing is,once someone is outside of the teaching room you don't know how they are going to play.
You can have a student who is great and can play along with tracks really well and groove to it,but sucks
in a band. Likewise you get guys who play well with their band,but choke when they walk into their lesson.

When I was setting up a rock band a few years ago,I listened in on a bunch of drummers while they were
having their lessons and asked a couple if they wanted to come over and play a couple of tunes.One guy sounded
great when he was in his lesson,but was shocking when we played together. I later heard him with his own metal
band,and he was playing really well within his niche.
The girl you auditioned may have been like this...maybe she would be better within her own comfort zone. She may
be a great student and can play whatever her teacher throws at her,but just choked when put in an unfamiliar situation.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1136439' date='Feb 21 2011, 11:35 PM']The thing is,once someone is outside of the teaching room you don't know how they are going to play.
You can have a student who is great and can play along with tracks really well and groove to it,but sucks
in a band. Likewise you get guys who play well with their band,but choke when they walk into their lesson.

When I was setting up a rock band a few years ago,I listened in on a bunch of drummers while they were
having their lessons and asked a couple if they wanted to come over and play a couple of tunes.One guy sounded
great when he was in his lesson,but was shocking when we played together. I later heard him with his own metal
band,and he was playing really well within his niche.
The girl you auditioned may have been like this...maybe she would be better within her own comfort zone. She may
be a great student and can play whatever her teacher throws at her,but just choked when put in an unfamiliar situation.[/quote]

Relevant points raised. Thank you.

Not being a teacher of any kind, this had not occured to me beforehand other than the usual audition nerves thing. I admit that I am probably over critical of drummers generally, especially on time keeping issues but I would have thought that she would have been able to hold a basic tempo. I wasn't expecting Lenny White, but I would have thought that her tutor would have maybe given her a few tips on preparation.

I guess it could simply be a case of a youngster simply being in love with the idea of being a drummer but judging by her intial e-mail, it appeared she was really passionate. She has acoustic and electronic kits so I assume she also has the support of her parents.

Thanks for your input.

With bassists/guitarists a good thing to look for to see if someone is good is their ability to tune.

There are many other measures for drummers, perhaps one is the sticks they use, or NO sticks as it is in this case.

Personally, I'd immediately forget any drummer who turns up with the AHEAD carbon sticks for example.

[quote name='Bankai' post='1138015' date='Feb 23 2011, 01:07 AM']There are many other measures for drummers, perhaps one is the sticks they use, or NO sticks as it is in this case.

Personally, I'd immediately forget any drummer who turns up with the AHEAD carbon sticks for example.[/quote]

Really? Why's that?
Who cares if they use Ahead sticks if they can play?

You can't measure a player by their sticks. As an example,one of the loudest rock players I know uses Vater
7A Manhattens.

We had the almost exact opposite a couple of years back.

Band needed a drummer and a friend (who is also a drum teacher) recommended a student. She was almost 17, never been in a band before, didn't even own a kit but her dad had promised her one if she got in a band. been learning a few months at best. We decided to audition her anyway (being nice) and sent her a set list saying which 3 to learn.

Gets to the audition and not only does she nail the 3 tracks perfectly she's spot on tempo wise, never deviated, she was really easy to lock in with, and she was a great laugh as well. In this case her teacher had it spot on.

We'd all still be playing together if the guitarist hadn't moved to Poland.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1138029' date='Feb 23 2011, 01:22 AM']Really? Why's that?
Who cares if they use Ahead sticks if they can play?

You can't measure a player by their sticks. As an example,one of the loudest rock players I know uses Vater
7A Manhattens.[/quote]
When it comes to Ahead sticks, the easy way of me explaining them is that they make it harder to play if you're a good drummer. If you lack technique they'd probably help, bit like waterwings.

When it comes to the drummer you've mentioned, if he's loud and that's his thing, then all he's doing by using 7A sticks is making things harder for himself

I don't think anyone is to blame here, IF the auduitioners were quite clear about what they wanted.

I think you can often tell someones kind of level by an intial conversation.
but anyway, she had a shot and didn't work out.
I sympathise with the OP who tried to give her a hand with why she didn't get the job and it seems to have backfired.

Not much you can do about that.

People who can play but don't listen..well..!!! I am not at all surprised about that.

A couple of years ago a rather well known band around here in Belgium was looking for a new drummer.
Unfortunately their bass-player was on holiday but still they had to do auditions.
They asked me to replace their bass-player for the auditions (bit weird actually since normally you have to lock in with the actual bass-player) and I learned their repertoire..
A couple of drummers showed up and the last one was a young woman..
We started playing a mid-tempo song and it wasn't too bad.
Then we got into this really fast song and halfway through the song I noticed that she was slowing down..
I saw her face turning red and her hands started to lose grip on the sticks..
She barely made it to the end of the song and she was gasping for air at the last cymbal stroke..
I didn't make it easy on her..I said "Let's do that last song again, I have a feeling the groove wasn't quite right" :-)
She couldn't keep it up and went down..she didn't get the job.
Years later that same woman became the girlfriend of a lesbian singer I was in a band with.
We had this really great drummer but he got sacked because the girlfriend convinced the singer that he wasn't any good..
Women...

[quote name='wombatboter' post='1139642' date='Feb 24 2011, 10:47 AM']I saw her face turning red and her hands started to lose grip on the sticks..
She barely made it to the end of the song and she was gasping for air at the last cymbal stroke..[/quote]

This is why I hesitate when thinking about female drummers. They just don't have the power to let loose. It's the same [url="http://www.bikester.co.uk/bicycles/bmx.html"]as in sport[/url]. :)

Edited by menolikeslap

[quote name='Bankai' post='1139521' date='Feb 24 2011, 05:17 AM']When it comes to Ahead sticks, the easy way of me explaining them is that they make it harder to play if you're a good drummer. If you lack technique they'd probably help, bit like waterwings.[/quote]

I'm not having that. I know guys with awesome technique who have have used Ahead sticks from time to time,and have no problems.
If you lack technique,you'll suck whatever sticks you use-using Ahead sticks won't help.
Anyway,how can a stick help poor players and hinder good ones?

[quote name='Doddy' post='1139733' date='Feb 24 2011, 11:20 AM']I'm not having that. I know guys with awesome technique who have have used Ahead sticks from time to time,and have no problems.
If you lack technique,you'll suck whatever sticks you use-using Ahead sticks won't help.
Anyway,how can a stick help poor players and hinder good ones?[/quote]

This

[quote name='Doddy' post='1139733' date='Feb 24 2011, 11:20 AM']I'm not having that. I know guys with awesome technique who have have used Ahead sticks from time to time,and have no problems.

Agree. Are these the same sticks endores by Lars Ulrich and Joey Jordison? Two very average drummers :)

Aww sh*t. :)

Does this mean that I need to actually learn some stuff instead of waiting for Ahead to bring out a set of bass strings that put all the notes in the right places..? :)

I will write a long reply as it's hard to explain in brief why they help some drummers but not others.

As for Lars and Joey using them, they get paid a lot of money for their endorsement. I bet if they were choosing in free will, they'd definitely be going elsewhere.

Edited by Bankai

[quote name='Bankai' post='1140690' date='Feb 24 2011, 11:58 PM']I will write a long reply as it's hard to explain in brief why they help some drummers but not others.

As for Lars and Joey using them, they get paid a lot of money for their endorsement. I bet if they were choosing in free will, they'd definitely be going elsewhere.[/quote]

....and I will argue that it won't matter. The sticks will not help you if you suck,and they won't hinder you of you can play.

Joey Jordison is using Pro Mark now by the way. Also Jim Keltner has been known to use Ahead sticks at times,at his own free well.
And......Ahead sticks are Aluminium,not carbon.

[quote name='Bankai' post='1138015' date='Feb 23 2011, 01:07 AM']Personally, I'd immediately forget any drummer who turns up with the AHEAD carbon sticks for example.[/quote]

I know that this has been followed up by others, but this just seems wierd to me.

Would you expect to be immediately forgotton because you turned with an X brand rather than Y brand bass, or X rather than Y strings, or passive rather than active etc etc. ? I suspect not and think you'd be a bit pissed off if you were.

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='1141127' date='Feb 25 2011, 12:51 PM']I know that this has been followed up by others, but this just seems wierd to me.

Would you expect to be immediately forgotton because you turned with an X brand rather than Y brand bass, or X rather than Y strings, or passive rather than active etc etc. ? I suspect not and think you'd be a bit pissed off if you were.[/quote]

Actually, I would expect it in quite a few cases... you'd be daft to turn up to an audition for a Britpop type band with a seven string Conklin or to an audition for a country band with a spiky BC Rich bass.

[quote name='Bankai' post='1139521' date='Feb 24 2011, 05:17 AM']When it comes to Ahead sticks, the easy way of me explaining them is that they make it harder to play if you're a good drummer. If you lack technique they'd probably help, bit like waterwings.

When it comes to the drummer you've mentioned, if he's loud and that's his thing, then all he's doing by using 7A sticks is making things harder for himself[/quote]

I'm a drummer and I have to disagree, it's not that simple.. The type of sticks you use have lots of variables, not just weight, length, size, tip and material.. It can still come down to personal taste like some choosing a P bass over a MM or warwick.

Use a variety of sticks on gigs and sessions. Even in the last 2 years, I again use very different sticks regularly ..

I personally don't like Ahead stick, but I've seen people play very well with them, equally I've seen the same with 7A's seranios.. If the drummer is comfortable, which is most important thing, it doesn't matter.. Judge them by their playing not their gear.. I wouldn't judge Buddy Rich if he would have used ahead type sticks

On the teaching front comments you get 3 students:

Those who can play with others, but are not great in lessons or theory

Those who can play by themselves (pieces in controlled conditions - lessons or at home etc)

Those who can do both

Also auditions can be a crippler for some.. I still hate them... I never get nervous on big gigs, TV, festivals, sessions.. but playing in a room with drummers or bassists or some auditions.. I can't think of anything worse..