Why become a member? ×

Just auditioned a drummer.

leschirons

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='1141127' date='Feb 25 2011, 12:51 PM']Would you expect to be immediately forgotton because you turned with an X brand rather than Y brand[/quote]
Gear choices show the person's awareness of their instrument amongst other things.

I'm away from home at the moment, I'm back tomorrow and will be making a video to explain my theory relating to ahead sticks. Show it to any drummer and I'm sure they'll agree with the ideas.

[quote name='Bankai' post='1141241' date='Feb 25 2011, 02:12 PM']Gear choices show the person's awareness of their instrument amongst other things.

I'm away from home at the moment, I'm back tomorrow and will be making a video to explain my theory relating to ahead sticks. Show it to any drummer and I'm sure they'll agree with the ideas.[/quote]

Really.. wow. I'm a drummer (first instrument).. don't spend too long though, it's only a thread :-)

I might be going off in totally wrong direction here but! Are using ahead sticks the same principle of say using a certain brand of string (some people play better, or think they do, with a certain brand) or using a certain pick for example? Such as using a jazz 3 over some paddle?

[quote name='krth1985' post='1141338' date='Feb 25 2011, 03:25 PM']I might be going off in totally wrong direction here but! Are using ahead sticks the same principle of say using a certain brand of string (some people play better, or think they do, with a certain brand) or using a certain pick for example? Such as using a jazz 3 over some paddle?[/quote]

technically, yes and the point of judging someone before they play and only judging them on their gear (in this case sticks).. which is wrong!!

[quote name='Bankai' post='1141441' date='Feb 25 2011, 04:34 PM']Yeah, your choice of sticks is best compared to a bassist's choice of strings.[/quote]

Agreed

But I know amazing/top bassists who don't spend alot of time thinking about what strings they use and the same with drummers with their sticks.. It means nothing, it's quality of the player...

Put Vinnie C with ahead sticks or nathan east with a rubbish set of strings.. They both still would sound amazing.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='1141219' date='Feb 25 2011, 01:58 PM']Actually, I would expect it in quite a few cases... you'd be daft to turn up to an audition for a Britpop type band with a seven string Conklin or to an audition for a country band with a spiky BC Rich bass.[/quote]
Well yes, sadly you're possibly right, but that really indicates the narrowmindedness of the auditioners.

That's also a fairly extreme case - I'd agree with others that choice of sticks is more akin to choice of string, rather than number of strings.

Perhaps that's why drummers turn up without sticks - they don't want to upset the auditioners by bringing the wrong ones.!

[quote name='Doddy' post='1139733' date='Feb 24 2011, 11:20 AM']I'm not having that. I know guys with awesome technique who have have used Ahead sticks from time to time,and have no problems.
If you lack technique,you'll suck whatever sticks you use-using Ahead sticks won't help.
Anyway,how can a stick help poor players and hinder good ones?[/quote]

Rejecting any drummer who uses Ahead is very OTT, but I kind of get the point. I'm not a drummer, but I do dabble from time to time and have had a go with Aheads. Their weight and balance mace it very easy for me to play straight and hard, which can made me seem much more consistent than I actually was, but trying to play with any nuance was impossible for me (hey, I can play a few rudiments...). I don't think they'd necessarily hinder [i]good[/i] drummers, but I can see how they'd help limited drummers in certain circumstances (ie, Lars Ulrich).

I realise they do different models as well, I'm not sure which it was I tried but it's entirely possible they were one of the heavier sets.

Edited by Maverick

[quote name='Maverick' post='1141919' date='Feb 25 2011, 10:45 PM']Rejecting any drummer who uses Ahead is very OTT, but I kind of get the point.[/quote]
Yeah, that was more to make a point than anything else :)

[quote name='Maverick' post='1141919' date='Feb 25 2011, 10:45 PM']I'm not a drummer, but I do dabble from time to time and have had a go with Aheads. Their weight and balance mace it very easy for me to play straight and hard, which can made me seem much more consistent than I actually was, but trying to play with any nuance was impossible for me (hey, I can play a few rudiments...). I don't think they'd necessarily hinder [i]good[/i] drummers, but I can see how they'd help limited drummers in certain circumstances (ie, Lars Ulrich).[/quote]
I will explain why this is shortly, and also cover why they make things harder for good drummers.