Why become a member? ×

Just auditioned a drummer.

leschirons

Just auditioned for a new drummer. Ours is leaving (pop function type band) It was at my house as I have a studio with a kit already set up. 18 years old and looking like she'd just left a Cradle of filth gig. But, in all fairness, that's just appearances and auditions should be open to everyone. She arrived with Dad (fair enough) but without sticks. She was put forward by her drum teacher who teaches at the Montlucon drum school.

I'd suggested she learn three numbers from our set list. I'd chosen, one funky, one slow and one with a nice cool groove. I reckon playing in time, with feel, on a slow number is hardest to achieve. She was terrible. One pattern for everything and couldn't even keep time within one bar. Stopped playing three times as she'd got lost and obviously had not listened to the three tracks.

I don't have a problem with anyone, at any level, as we all started off crap and then got better with practice. What I find unbelievable is that a pro tutor has put her up for this. He knew very well what we played as he'd seen a gig. No doubt she was nervous and we gave her all encouragement to try another couple of numbers of her own choosing. No better.

We did the sensitive, "we'll e-mail you as we have others to audition". No doubt at some point, she'll get told in no uncertain terms what people think of her drumming but I can't see the point in upsetting someone so young, so she'll be let down lightly (at least, by us)

As far as I'm concerned, her teacher is a dick-head. If she'd auditioned with someone else, she could have had all her confidence totally destroyed by some arshole.

[quote name='icastle' post='1136017' date='Feb 21 2011, 07:25 PM']Sounds to me like her drum tutor has done her a great disservice at the expense of her confidence and wasted your time as well...[/quote]

I'd agree.

Nicely handled.

Perhaps a diplomatic word with the tutor?

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1135986' date='Feb 21 2011, 07:00 PM']Perhaps the teacher did it to give her audition experience? It does sound like your time was wasted but hey, we've all been there! I'd tell her no & why BUT it's how you say it and feedback well delivered is easier to swallow[/quote]

+1, IME part of being a musician is helping others along. I've been in both situations, the band leader responsible for the selection, and the prospective bass player woefully out of his depth at a pro audition. Each is a learning experience and each probably helps you do a better job of the other.

If the girl has ambitions to play in a band, the teacher is arguably doing the right thing by preparing her for auditions early, we all know that confidence and familiarity with the environment are as important as technique when it comes to getting a gig.

We just recruited a new drummer. At the audition he wasn't very good, but we liked him. Second rehearsal he was still a bit iffy. Yesterday, third session, he rocked.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1136028' date='Feb 21 2011, 07:30 PM']I would of been the same though and done the same as far as the gentle letdown.[/quote]

+1

I can't think of a time when there's ever a need to be 'nasty' to anyone who hasn't come up to scratch in an audition.
Much respect and kudos to leschirons for handling it so well. :)

definately! jobs a good un. thanks teach.[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1136028' date='Feb 21 2011, 07:30 PM']She sounds like most drummers to me and already got the hang of not bringing any sticks! I bet that's what the tutor taught her :)

I would of been the same though and done the same as far as the gentle letdown.[/quote]

I agree with the possibility that her teacher wanted her to gain audition experience and I'd like to make it clear that although yes, our time was wasted, we do not hold her (the auditionee) responsible for this. Her teacher is treading a fine line I think risking her confidence against gaining experience. He should at least make sure she's at least "nearly" up to the job before putting her in this position. Afterall, he doesn't know that we may, or may not have really ripped into her and that's not fair.

Burrito has a good point about letting her know why it's a no go but I don't think she'd handle any more than "not quite ready yet" and I'd hate to upset a young'un as they need encouragement to continue if it's what they really want to do.

I think a quiet word (as has been suggested) to her teacher may be on the books.

Thanks for the replys.

[quote name='leschirons' post='1135975' date='Feb 21 2011, 06:52 PM']We did the sensitive, "we'll e-mail you as we have others to audition".[/quote]
I would have kicked her in the fanny and told her to **** off. Back on Sensible Common you did the right thing. It's not easy auditioning even when you are competent. Musos are so strange - its quite daunting walking into a room with a load that you don't know. Move on, you'll find someone.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1135986' date='Feb 21 2011, 07:00 PM']Perhaps the teacher did it to give her audition experience? It does sound like your time was wasted but hey, we've all been there! I'd tell her no & why BUT it's how you say it and feedback well delivered is easier to swallow[/quote]

+1

I once had a similar situation with a guitarist.
The guy could barely play a chord, he was a real beginner, but I admired his courage (or was it naivety? :))
He looked a bit disheartened early one when he realised there was no way he could be the guy we were looking for. It was just me, on bass, and the singer, that day. With a rhythm machine. At my place.
Since we were there I figured we might as well have some fun. Rather than letting him go with a direct "no", I tried to be polite (but clear) and tried to compliment him on some of the stuff h was trying to do. I took one of my guitars and showed him a couple of easy things to try so we could play a little etc, and recorded the whole thing, then sent him the recording.

We stayed in touch and I encouraged him to keep at it, that yes, it sounded dire :) but nobody is born knowing how to play.

The guy went on to write some songs and form a band, and did a few gigs before the band broke for some of the usual reasons. He once told me that if I hadn't encouraged him after the "audition" he would have sold the guitar and amp because he felt he was useless at it.
Ok, I didn't give the world a new Gary Moore, but I feel proud of that.

It's important to tell the truth, to avoid misleading people. But *how* the truth is said is very important. It's only music, there's no need to destroy someone's ego.

edit: oh, and part of telling her the truth would include "you need to prepare the songs you were given for the audition. If I dedicate x amount of my time to you for the audition, I'd expect you to have at least tried a little". Gentle (purely because of her inexperience), yet firm.

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='leschirons' post='1136057' date='Feb 21 2011, 07:43 PM']Burrito has a good point about letting her know why it's a no go but I don't think she'd handle any more than "not quite ready yet" and I'd hate to upset a young'un as they need encouragement to continue if it's what they really want to do.

I think a quiet word (as has been suggested) to her teacher may be on the books.[/quote]

That's your shout of course, but the mere fact that you take 15 minutes out of your day to call her and explain personally, and to give her some ideas as to how she can do better next time, might motivate her hugely.

Anyway, I don't know why you're worried about a drummer not having stick at an audition. We turned up to remote country house to record a few years back to find the session drummer had no sticks. When we got a bit angry he said "Why am I always doing this?" :)

[quote name='BottomE' post='1136061' date='Feb 21 2011, 08:44 PM']I would have kicked her in the fanny and told her to **** off. Back on Sensible Common you did the right thing. It's not easy auditioning even when you are competent. Musos are so strange - its quite daunting walking into a room with a load that you don't know. Move on, you'll find someone.[/quote]

Appreciate your initial comment however, her dad was there and was bigger than the 4 of us put together.

Moving on and finding someone is obviously what we'll do but the reason I posted was the behaviour of what I consider to be an irresponsible teacher.

[quote name='Beedster' post='1136077' date='Feb 21 2011, 08:51 PM']That's your shout of course, but the mere fact that you take 15 minutes out of your day to call her and explain personally, and to give her some ideas as to how she can do better next time, might motivate her hugely.

Anyway, I don't know why you're worried about a drummer not having stick at an audition. We turned up to remote country house to record a few years back to find the session drummer had no sticks. When we got a bit angry he said "Why am I always doing this?" :)[/quote]

Point taken and of course, you're right. I just need to assemble my thoughts about how to be honest, yet delicate but, I will contact her personally.

[quote name='leschirons' post='1136089' date='Feb 21 2011, 07:53 PM']Appreciate your initial comment however, her dad was there and was bigger than the 4 of us put together.

Moving on and finding someone is obviously what we'll do but the reason I posted was the behaviour of what I consider to be an irresponsible teacher.[/quote]
Sure, but you may find the teacher acted with good intent. Call him if you feel you need to - I'd just say hey, it didn't work out and forget about it.

I've just mailed the vocalist and told her that I'll speak to the auditionee. I agree it's best to be delicate, and honest and maybe offer some advice for her next audition, hopefully she'll be mature enough to accept it as help rather than just criticism.

If I am found dead with a Slipknot / Megadeath CD severing my neck, I would like to be remembered as one who tried.

[quote name='leschirons' post='1135975' date='Feb 21 2011, 06:52 PM']She was terrible. One pattern for everything and couldn't even keep time within one bar. Stopped playing three times as she'd got lost and obviously had not listened to the three tracks.[/quote]

And her Drum teacher, calls him/herself a Drum teacher?
The teacher should have known she was not ready - even for Audition experience. [whatever that means]
Not good for her confidence at 18.

Garry