Why become a member? ×

Do you need the 5th string?

Phil-osopher10

[b]Well I blinking well do![/b] Would be a lot less "at home" without it, I've been playing fivers for the best part of 20 years now and have totally adapted the logistic of my playing around that low B, so much so, that when I play a 4 strings bass I find myself working harder than I do with the 5th in place. It's a clever evolution of the instrument and not a fancy "must have" gizmo that purists might think of. It works and that's a fact. So move with the times and accept it.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

I don't feel I need five. I understand it's about more than getting to those lower notes, it's also about the ease of access to the notes you want all the way up the fretboard. When reading a similar thread in the past, I was struck by the words of the wise and diplomatic BurritoBass, something along the lines of "I like the limitations that four strings place on your playing"

I'm happy on 4 and 5.

If I was going to opt for which end of range to extend it would be adding a high c for chords if I was playing jazz in a trio. I've never been a great fan of the sound and feel of a low b. If I need a low d I detune. Below that I'm not keen on venturing.

Haven't we just done this?

Anyway my best looking/sounding/playing basses all happen to have 5 strings. I'm not going to user a less good 4-string bass simply because for a particular set I don't need the low B.

Besides when I'm not playing it the B string makes for an awesome thumb rest!

I am unsure, I have a 5 thumb and it does make things eaier to play but I rarely use anything lower than the D. Also there is horrible neck dive on the 5 thumb not sure about the 4 but it is putting seriouus strain on my wrist, so much so I have to go and see if something more serious has happened.

just asking the question

As a recent convert to 5 strings I now find 4 string basses somewhat incomplete - almost like being used to 4 but then having 3.

There are other advantages to having a wider neck - it is more natural to me to adapt to better fingering technique.

Of course you don't [i]need[/i] the 5th string, but I really like all the options that open up when it's there, not to mention the extra low notes.