Why become a member? ×

Tenuous Claim To Fame

Thunderthumbs

[quote name='jim_bass' post='700255' date='Jan 4 2010, 10:09 AM']I was in a car park in Louth a guy in a posh car came over a gave me his car park ticket 'cos it still had an hour left on it. I politely accepted the ticket and thought to myself, I recognise this bloke from somewhere. As he drove off I read the number plate of his car, which was something like RCB1. It was Roy Chubby Brown![/quote]

You're lucky... he's currently up on charges for beating somebody up in a car park... allegedly.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='700361' date='Jan 4 2010, 12:23 PM']"The comedian, real name Royston Vasey, is scheduled to appear at Teesside Magistrates' Court in Middlesbrough on December 16"

My mind has just been blown.[/quote]

Yep - that's where the League of Gentlemen got their town name from. You couldn't make it up :)

The other band i play with performed on EastEnders twice. They played in alert square for Kat and that gangster on tier engagement day and also the singer played in the Queen vic, again for Kat i believe.

I was in a "band" with Ian Mitchell (from the Bay City Rollers) for a while back in 1995. It was a reincarnation of the Ian Mitchell Band but other than a compilation album of old recorded tracks that we put together (that i didn't play on but was on the cover) it didnt go anywhere.

Nothing to boast about there i guess.

[attachment=39655:156.jpg]

My mate Baz introduced me to this bloke after a gig they'd done together, he said we had the same thing in common - our initials are the same apparently :rolleyes: . After one or two beers :) he rather kindly gave me his plectrum too :lol:

My wife sat next to Frank Carson on a train and had a lovely chat with him. My wife is pretty unaware of lots of things so had no idea who he was and what he did even after he explained that he was in entertainment and on his way to a gig. How we laughed in the next carriage.

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' post='706106' date='Jan 8 2010, 11:39 PM']I play with a drummer who has also played with Nick Turner's Space Ritual - that puts me on the extreme outer edge of the Hawkwind family tree. sort of.[/quote]

Nick Turner was my saxophone teacher in the late 80´s. Not that one ^^^^ but he did used to get Hawkwind fans turning up to his gigs by mistake.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='705818' date='Jan 8 2010, 05:51 PM']The bass player from Desmond Dekker's band once borrowed my old cheapy fretless bass for a gig when I was at poly'. He actually quite liked it and was a nice bloke in general.[/quote]
I used to be in a band with the keyboardist from the same band.

I thought I'd posted this already, but it's not in the thread...

So as well as nearly being in a band with John Bonham's daughter, when I was 5 my best friend was Nicky Hallam, since better known as DJ The Head from the Stereo MCs. We only stopped being friend because our birthdays were either side of the September year divide and so when we went to Junior school he was in the year above me which at that age will kill a friendship dead. It was here that he met Rob Birch the singer. Also at the same school as me was Bruce Wooley who wrote "Video Killed The Radio Star", and Paul Brindley who played bass in The Sundays.

The strange thing is that while I was very active musically at school trying to get my fairly terrible band involved in every musical activity going, I don't remember any of the others doing anything musical at all except for Rob Birch who was the guitarist and singer in a punk band called The Blitz Kids.

Edited by BigRedX

I shared a Jacuzzi with Elvis Costello at Lamptons in Westbourne Grove.
"Alright Elvis keeping busy?" "Yes thanks" was it.

I sent Roger Waters out of my shop to get cash because I couldn't get through on the phone to Access to authorise his card.

I was married to Mick Fleetwoods step niece.

Dennis Wise cut me up when I was on my bike so I leant over and lifted his wipers to the up position at the next traffic lights. He didn't take it well.

I'm on Rat Scabies pub quiz team.

I've shared gigs with such stellar figures as Happy Jack and Waynepunkdude.

Lots more but I can't spoil you all at once.

Done loads of gigs with famous people- met some very famous people whilst I have been "out and about"- some would blow your mind... but I cant say.....

Last thursday at one of our monthly residencies one of Journey South- the one who doesnt play guitar- was doing a very drunken dance- by, that lad can sup!!

Years ago at a gig in liverpool Sonya ( Stock Aitkin and Waterman girl )was in the audience and had the most recognisable shape to her face- from a distance you would know exactly who she was.

Bob