Why become a member? ×

Gibson Thunderbird Short Scale - Limited run of 400

farmer61

I've thought about putting together a short scale t-bird for ages - something like a CIJ mustang bass neck with a warmoth firebird body might have worked. Doubt I'd get one though as I've now got an epi pro-v. Glad there's no pics of this one as I don't think I'd be able to contain the GAS (if you pardon the expression)

[quote name='Norris' post='1119964' date='Feb 8 2011, 12:17 PM']There is a picture [url="http://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-guitars/pid20108/cid560/gibson-thunderbird-short-scale-in-satin-ebony.asp"]here[/url][/quote]
From bridge position and number of frets that looks like a pic of a standard long scale to me.

Probably no short-scale pics available yet.

Edited by EssentialTension

It's not like the one in the photo. No press image as of yet.

It's Matt Black, no pickguard, looks odd. I got excited for 10 secons, and then saw it.

The Rumour mill states there will be the 'LP Junior DC Bass' Like the original EB-0 but with an additional Bridge Pickup, so an SG reissue bass with an LP body Shape. Exciting.

And some new Les Paul Standard Basses with larger bodies - They did a buckethead signature guitar with a 10% larger body, the guitar was mental, but i can see it working for the bass, Gold Top, Ebony and Heritage Cherry burst.

These are all just pencilled in at the moment, and may never come to light, they were doing a System of a Down Thunderbird about 2 years ago, but it never made it to production although they showed it at NAMM.

Looking forward to the Les Pauls and that Junior.

Hope they actually do them!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='farmer61' post='1163269' date='Mar 15 2011, 04:19 PM']Thar she blows

:)[/quote]
And your opinions sir?

Personally I'd not get the short scale for myself because it's too short. I find even the standard T-bird a little small! :)

Edited by Bankai

I hate Matt black anything but the one above looks fine with the Pickguard. I love the sound of Gibson Basses just the balance issues/ 3 point bridge are a hassle to resolve, but I still prefer the tone over a fender - even though i'm a P fan flatwound eb3's are incredible sounding basses second to none (IMO!)

With the pickguard on it it does look far better,

Taking a picture of it next to that sexy mofo' of a Bicentennial Tbird doesnt do it any favours though! haha

And i agree, IMO gibson should give up with the 3 point bridge (besides maybe if they release reissue models of various basses or something to keep things authentic etc)

The hipshot supertone is a far better bridge than the stock one (only in my opinion there once again)

back to the bass though;

anyone know if its neck through like it's big bro' or is it a SN?