Why become a member? ×

Meshell Ndegeocello

Pete Academy

I was talking to Doddy today about her, as he's just bought the Plantation Lullabies album. I think she's amazing. Her sense of groove is sublime and totally natural. Check out these tracks:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpdzEpGIqtY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpdzEpGIqtY[/url] Amazing bassline and sound.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDbRKB7oLEQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDbRKB7oLEQ[/url] Just total groove, playing from the heart.

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1119377' date='Feb 7 2011, 08:27 PM']Funnily enough I've just been listening to her covers of Bill Withers 'Who Is He' and Marvin Gaye's 'Make Me Wanna Holler' - absolutely solid versions with killer bass groove and a tone to die for. There's some amazing youtube videos of her live that just absolutely kill![/quote]

She's very underrated IMO.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1119385' date='Feb 7 2011, 08:33 PM']She's very underrated IMO.[/quote]

Not in Chez Owen she isn't. She totally rules. Plantation Lullabies, Ben Folds 5 (1st album), Heavy Weather, Dark side of the moon, Corinne Bailey Rae (1st album). They are all truly great albums and totally do it for me. I cannot put them in order but they all always hit the spot. She is one of the great musicians.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1119485' date='Feb 7 2011, 09:21 PM']She's great....too funky for her own good. Plantation Lullabies and Peace Beyond Passion are great albums.[/quote]
+1, or rather +2 for those. They keep coming back to my CD tray and I'm saving the others to discover later.

Me'shell is definitely one of my favourite players, ridiculous groove and an amazing feel. Some of her simplest lines are really hard to recreate properly because of her articulation.

Her part at 2:30 through this always makes me smile:

[quote name='JimD' post='1119877' date='Feb 8 2011, 10:55 AM']Great player.

She plays and sings on "Anomie and Bonhomie" by Scritti Politti. This is a very interesting record and the opening track opens with her bass; even the [i]first note[/i] has such a great tone![/quote]
Now THAT is a ridiculously under-appreciated album.

[quote name='JimD' post='1119877' date='Feb 8 2011, 10:55 AM']Great player.

She plays and sings on "Anomie and Bonhomie" by Scritti Politti. This is a very interesting record and the opening track opens with her bass; even the [i]first note[/i] has such a great tone![/quote]

That's a great album. But is it Meshell on the first track? There are a couple of guys(including David Dyson) credited,but it doesn't say on which tracks.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1119922' date='Feb 8 2011, 11:33 AM']That's a great album. But is it Meshell on the first track? There are a couple of guys(including David Dyson) credited,but it doesn't say on which tracks.[/quote]

"Umm" :) , that is a good question. I had always assumed that she was the sole bass player but a quick Google suggests as you have that David Dyson and Vere Isaacs are also credited. Sorry for potentially clouding the waters here. Either way, those opening notes are BOSS and the album is fab!