Why become a member? ×

Which Flatwounds?

Bass_Guardian

[quote name='Shambo' post='1117348' date='Feb 6 2011, 07:12 AM']There is no best make of strings, just the ones you're happiest with.[/quote]

I'd echo this. I personally love Fender flatwounds, though i've read that of people wouldn't touch them with a bargepole, so horses for courses i guess.

I had always used Rotosound solo bass these used to be made to make up your own tail piece ball ends in the 70's-80's they latter changed to fixed ball
I found these a good halfway house and used them for over ten years then couldn't get them, then they re-appeared a different length like most rotosound strings did.
went on to ordinary round wounds, Elites were about all was stocked by most shops through the 90's then I chanced on Elite ground wound, and have to say they are the best most meaty heavy tone sounding I have played, I have tried Thomastik-Infeld and rotsound flats and found them just too flat.

So try a pressure wound or ground wound set, they maybe just what you need

Edited by deepbass5

I have a Ryder on the way and am also planning to "flat" it. I love the TI Jazz Flats on my fretless, but haven't tried them, or any other flats, on a fretted. So I'm following this thread with interest...

Do you know what gauge strings the Ryder ships with? I would expect the "standard" 45s. If the nut's too tight you can always widen it - but the opposite is not true, so I'm wary of fitting say 50s and then finding they don't suit me.

[quote name='martthebass' post='1117474' date='Feb 6 2011, 11:22 AM']Sorry for the hijack, but I'm looking for some flats with lower tension than my current Roto flats - would TI infeld flats fit that category? If not, any other suggestions?[/quote]

Ti Flats are the lowest tension of all the flats ( I have tried them all )

Will.

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' post='1117205' date='Feb 5 2011, 11:41 PM']Hello im looking for my first ever set of flatwounds so i dont know which ones are best blah blah

The nut is cut quite tight, i think mainly for gauge 40-100 and below.

Which strings would u recommend and why?

Thanks in advance

Alex :)[/quote]

Hey Alex, so you bit too!!! :) Your Jim Deacon now has a sister!

I bought one too, despite talking for ages about not liking P-basses... because I had recently tuned my ears to teh sound of a P-bass wih flats and I thought "hmmm, actually, not bad".
The P-bass sound of the Ryder is still P-bass like and I don't love it (the Jim Deacon is better in that respect, I think), but played it palm muting and I really liked that sound.

I bought a set of Rotosound Trubass (flatwound, black nylon coated):

They do not fit exactly on that nut. As you noticed, it's cut with pretty narrow slots. I went for it regardless, thinking I would expand the slots with a file later. Even with the nut untouched is not too bad. The strings do sit a bit higher than normal, but not as much as I thought they would. The tension of those strings is higher than the crappy thin strings provided. I had a really low smooth action on mine, and with the Rotosounds it got a bit higher (the nut slots did not help). But I just brought the saddles down a bit more, and again I had no need to touch the trussrod. It's really comfortable to play, and I love teh sound of those strings.
I'm not in love with teh sound of the bass alone with the tone control fully open (although it sits alright in the mix, if you play along to something - I haven't used it with the band yet). But if you turn the tone down you have a really thick tone that to my ears is very very good.

Last night I spent a couple of hours playing along to various things... lots of reggae and african music, Sade, Afrocelt, funk and old R&B... and it worked really well. I found my default was to have the tone all the way down, and if I needed to cut through better I would turn the tone up until I got the the point I wanted.

So, longwinded answer...
In short... I am not an expert in flatwounds. I have only used one other flatwound type (also Rotosound, the "Steve harris strings" - I forget the model number) and some groundwounds. But I can say that I love the Tru-bass strings on the Ryder bass. :lol:

If you're in Edinburgh at some point you're welcome to have a go.

[quote name='mcnach' post='1117718' date='Feb 6 2011, 02:47 PM']Hey Alex, so you bit too!!! :) Your Jim Deacon now has a sister!

I bought one too, despite talking for ages about not liking P-basses... because I had recently tuned my ears to teh sound of a P-bass wih flats and I thought "hmmm, actually, not bad".
The P-bass sound of the Ryder is still P-bass like and I don't love it (the Jim Deacon is better in that respect, I think), but played it palm muting and I really liked that sound.

I bought a set of Rotosound Trubass (flatwound, black nylon coated):

They do not fit exactly on that nut. As you noticed, it's cut with pretty narrow slots. I went for it regardless, thinking I would expand the slots with a file later. Even with the nut untouched is not too bad. The strings do sit a bit higher than normal, but not as much as I thought they would. The tension of those strings is higher than the crappy thin strings provided. I had a really low smooth action on mine, and with the Rotosounds it got a bit higher (the nut slots did not help). But I just brought the saddles down a bit more, and again I had no need to touch the trussrod. It's really comfortable to play, and I love teh sound of those strings.
I'm not in love with teh sound of the bass alone with the tone control fully open (although it sits alright in the mix, if you play along to something - I haven't used it with the band yet). But if you turn the tone down you have a really thick tone that to my ears is very very good.

Last night I spent a couple of hours playing along to various things... lots of reggae and african music, Sade, Afrocelt, funk and old R&B... and it worked really well. I found my default was to have the tone all the way down, and if I needed to cut through better I would turn the tone up until I got the the point I wanted.

So, longwinded answer...
In short... I am not an expert in flatwounds. I have only used one other flatwound type (also Rotosound, the "Steve harris strings" - I forget the model number) and some groundwounds. But I can say that I love the Tru-bass strings on the Ryder bass. :)

If you're in Edinburgh at some point you're welcome to have a go.[/quote]

Thanks for the offer mate but i dont think ill be in Edinburgh any time soon sadly.

Whats the gauge of the rotos ur using?

Alex :lol:

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' post='1118413' date='Feb 6 2011, 11:08 PM']Thanks for the offer mate but i dont think ill be in Edinburgh any time soon sadly.

Whats the gauge of the rotos ur using?

Alex :)[/quote]

it's 65-115.
But believe me, they do not feel huge. Very easy to play.

I like the sound, but I'm not entirely sure whether I'd prefer these, a standard set of flatwounds I had before (Rotosound as well, not coated) or my usual D'Addario XL170 45-100 *with* a mute at the bridge... I need to experiment a bit. The black nylon Tru-bass ones do sound good, but I feel they'd be better suited for a fretless perhaps.

[quote name='mcnach' post='1118729' date='Feb 7 2011, 11:35 AM']it's 65-115.
But believe me, they do not feel huge. Very easy to play.

I like the sound, but I'm not entirely sure whether I'd prefer these, a standard set of flatwounds I had before (Rotosound as well, not coated) or my usual D'Addario XL170 45-100 *with* a mute at the bridge... I need to experiment a bit. The black nylon Tru-bass ones do sound good, but I feel they'd be better suited for a fretless perhaps.[/quote]
I was thinking about not getting the black nylon ones, i heard theyre mainly used on acoustic basses?

Was thinking maybe labella deep talkin 43-104 gauge...

But i also like the P bass with nickel rounds on though :)

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' post='1118867' date='Feb 7 2011, 01:37 PM']I was thinking about not getting the black nylon ones, i heard theyre mainly used on acoustic basses?

Was thinking maybe labella deep talkin 43-104 gauge...

But i also like the P bass with nickel rounds on though :)[/quote]

easy, you need another Sue Ryder :)

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' post='1121083' date='Feb 9 2011, 10:43 AM']How u getting one?[/quote]

I was informed that I indeed own another white one (had a choice of colours 'though :))

There are some still in shops. Someone kindly PMd me offering to get me one from their local SR shop. Et voila, result.
Not with me yet, I have yet to decide whether I'm travelling in that direction, and in that case I can collect... or post.

There's a shop in Haddington and another in Dunbar... I'm thinking of calling to see whether they have any... and if yes, go for a drive up there at the weekend. But that would be obsessive, wouldn't you say? :)

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' post='1118867' date='Feb 7 2011, 01:37 PM']I was thinking about not getting the black nylon ones, i heard theyre mainly used on acoustic basses?[/quote]
I've got TI Jazz Flats on my fretted acoustic but La Bella black nylons on my fretless Precision and on my fretted Jazz.

The black nylons don't have to go on an acoustic bass; it's just down to what you like the sound of and the feel of.

I know. It's difficult.

The 'appropriate technology' on this particular bass would be whatever the hell first comes up secondhand for sale on BC :)

However…

In my view LaBellas are the classics. You gotta try them. I used a set for five years. Eventually I found them a bit stiff, but there are four gauges available. Avoid the super-heavy Jamersons, they'll kill ya.

Thomastiks are delicious. I would be using them still, but my P has a bit of a neck issue and I needed a touch more tension.

Now I'm on Pyramids. They're my favourite so far.