Why become a member? ×

Jeff Berlin Banned from Talkbass Shock!

Spoombung

[quote name='chardbass' post='1117546' date='Feb 6 2011, 12:26 PM']Was that Trilok Gurtu? I saw them in Newcastle in the late 80s and groaned when I saw the perc set up (sensing a lack of drum-orientated groove) but it was amazing.[/quote]

Thanks to Bilbo reply earlier on this thread as I had no idea who the guy was.

"That 'unknown' percussionist was Trilok Gurtu from the US band Oregon. He is a genius. I recommend their cd Ecotopia."

The fact he played while on one knee was unusual to say the least but extremely entertaining.
This was a great memory of 3 very individual and talented musicians.

Why knock someone who entertains so many people. Is that so wrong ?

Dave

Had a brief look at this topic,as there are lot of replies. When I used to read Bass Player,Jeff seemed to get
a raw deal (imho) from people complaining about is column in the letter page.
Let's face it , like it or not , the guy has got humongous talent.

Sure , he doesn't hold back in his opinions in advising/helping others, but he genuinely cares about making others progress.
He gave free advice, and got angry responses from many. They should lighten up. It's only an opinion.

If things were different for me, and I lived in the states,and could afford lessons . I would choose him .(and Billy Sheehan/Stu Hamm) :)

• Thanks 1

Strong opinions aren't welcome on forums - any forums. You either muddle along with the accepted wisdom of the forum or you're a troll. If you're unlucky enough to be contrary and you also happen to be better at expressing yourself in text than most of the people you're disagreeing with, then you're entirely f***ed, as Jeff Berlin has apparently discovered.

It's unusual in this case because it happened to someone who's an expert in his field, whereas it's usually anonymous people who it happens to. And usually because they are faced down by an army of sycophants or people with other interests at stake.

- Kev, known troll.

• Thanks 1

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1118493' date='Feb 7 2011, 01:02 AM']Strong opinions aren't welcome on forums - any forums. You either muddle along with the accepted wisdom of the forum or you're a troll. If you're unlucky enough to be contrary and you also happen to be better at expressing yourself in text than most of the people you're disagreeing with, then you're entirely f***ed, as Jeff Berlin has apparently discovered.

It's unusual in this case because it happened to someone who's an expert in his field, whereas it's usually anonymous people who it happens to. And usually because they are faced down by an army of sycophants or people with other interests at stake.

- Kev, known troll.[/quote]
Glad you're back, mate :) How's tricks?

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1118508' date='Feb 7 2011, 01:12 AM']And as far as soloing goes, Jeff has always been able to play Jaco under the table, and Jaco knew this.[/quote]

Well, i know i'd prefer to listen to Jaco's perfectly phrased melody lines from "A Remark You Made" than anything i've heard Jeff Berlin play, guess it's all subjective.

I've never understood the whole willy comparison of "playing somebody under the table", for me it's all about expression and not note flurries. This is why some of Jaco's stuff towers above JB's playing, all IMO of course. I've never heard Jeff get particularly exquisite tones from a bass, ever. His playing isn't as moving as some of Jaco's stuff for me.

FWIW i'm not a Jeff hater, i like listening to some of his output and he always has something interesting to say. One of those guys who you listen to when he talks, whether you agree with him or not (for whatever reason). I just don't understand why one guy has to be "better" at bass than another!

Btw i scored Clive Barker's Jericho for £3 the other day!

[quote name='silddx' post='1118598' date='Feb 7 2011, 08:45 AM']Glad you're back, mate :) How's tricks?[/quote]

I'm good thanks, but I'm not really "back", I'm still not that interested in posting. I've managed to find more time for music since I stopped using forums quite so much though so it's all good.

Currently learning to read as my new year resolution, and working on a new EP with my band. Hope you're well and keeping busy. :)

- Kev

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1118860' date='Feb 7 2011, 01:33 PM']I'm good thanks, but I'm not really "back", I'm still not that interested in posting. I've managed to find more time for music since I stopped using forums quite so much though so it's all good.

Currently learning to read as my new year resolution, and working on a new EP with my band. Hope you're well and keeping busy. :)

- Kev[/quote]
Cool mate. I tried to stay away for a bit but I got the shakes and looked a bit pasty so I came back. I lasted a bloody week :)

There's a few of us reading converts about, after another highly argumentative 'to read or not to read' thread :lol: I have to say, it's totally worth the effort learning to read. Music theory is what is really useful to me though.

Hope the EP recording goes well, I'm doing one too at the moment. In four bands now, one of them is just a hobby band though but it's fun.

Take care mate and keep in touch.

Cheers,
Nx

[quote name='silddx' post='1118941' date='Feb 7 2011, 02:38 PM']Cool mate. I tried to stay away for a bit but I got the shakes and looked a bit pasty so I came back. I lasted a bloody week :)[/quote]

You got the shakes so much that you wrote an ad selling the Warwicks. Those trembles can be awful :)

My problem is that I can admire JB, his technical skills, knowledge etc, but I just don't enjoy his music. I have Champions and Pump It (on vinyl) and liked them both for a while but his last few cds have come and gone because, for me, after the 'wow', there is nothing very nice to listen to. Excellent example of when astonishing technique is not enough.

I still, however, agree 110% with his advocacy of musical literacy (in its broadest sense) and the rejection of short termism and short cuts.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1118981' date='Feb 7 2011, 03:24 PM']Nigel's fault he did a few videos for me a while back and I haven't been able to get the tone out of my head.

Sorry to go OT.[/quote]

You won't regret it, excellent basses.

Does this mean we have to call you waynefunkdude?

[quote name='Doddy' post='1117773' date='Feb 6 2011, 03:38 PM']Exactly-it's all about the context,the information is always the same.

The sad thing is there are a lot of people about who teach in this manner-and it does as disservice to the student.
It's easy to write a Tab showing a scale and move it about,but it doesn't actually show you anything. What are the notes? How do they relate to one another? What can you do with the scales? What other positions can you play them? On it's own the pattern is not going to do much good,if you don't know how to work with it. But it's easy to 'teach' and is a shortcut that misses out a lot of relevant information.These teachers,I feel,are the kind of teachers and players who generally get really offended by Jeff Berlin,because he's an advocate of studying and that there are no shortcuts,and therefor it leads to arguments that there are loads of other learning methods,when really there aren't.[/quote]

I agree and so does Branford.