Why become a member? ×

Jeff Berlin Banned from Talkbass Shock!

Spoombung

[quote name='Doddy' post='1115395' date='Feb 4 2011, 02:54 PM']So why did you clearly direct it at Jeff?

[b]They can still offer good advice though. Just because these guys are doing different gigs doesn't make it any less relevant to what you are doing.In fact,I think a lot of it is relevant no matter what level you are playing at.[/b]About the thick skinned thing-the problem is that there are some people that will constantly argue with someone no matter how many times that person explains themselves,because they are a well know player-More so than with other members.[/quote]
They'll have done tiny gigs in their past, and believe me they probably still do. Plenty of immense players out there doing tiny club gigs to earn their rent and food cash. Just look at recent photos of them.

Gwizmon with Gary Husband at Boaters

[quote name='silddx' post='1115414' date='Feb 4 2011, 03:01 PM']They'll have done tiny gigs in their past, and believe me they probably still do. Plenty of immense players out there doing tiny club gigs to earn their rent and food cash. Just look at recent photos of them.[/quote]

Exactly.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1115420' date='Feb 4 2011, 03:05 PM']Because I meant it.[/quote]
So why say it was aimed 'less directed at Jeff himself than the sycophants that frequent that site'?

Either way,calling him 'an egotistical,self obsessed arsehole' wasn't the best post you've ever made.

Well populated forums tend to represent the wider spectrum of life with many varied opinions and personalities. Whereas in real life its easy to avoid people you don't like (most of the time) a forum post is open to all. Celebrity or not my advice would be to avoid forums altogether unless you can take a bit of criticism and/or hostility.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1115369' date='Feb 4 2011, 02:43 PM']Maybe a little harsh, less directed at Jeff himself than the sycophants that frequent that site.[/quote]

I think your right as a musician to be absolved from any criticism on an online forum is effectively rescinded as soon as you've joined up and started posting. I'm not saying it's right to go about criticising someone without considerable forethought (if at all really), in fact for the most part whilst I thought your post was funny, it probably was badly worded for those that don't know you well enough to know that at times you can be tongue in cheek. However, if you join a site and assume you're safe from being called out by forumites that are unable to conduct themselves with any decorum then you've made a mistake.

It's the internet, people have a habit of saying what they want because more often than not they won't suffer the repercussions in regular life. Everyone's an armchair critic when they want to be.

[quote name='risingson' post='1115618' date='Feb 4 2011, 05:18 PM']It's the internet, people have a habit of saying what they want because more often than not they won't suffer the repercussions in regular life.[/quote]
This is the unfortunate truth.

[quote name='risingson' post='1115618' date='Feb 4 2011, 05:18 PM']I think your right as a musician to be absolved from any criticism on an online forum is effectively rescinded as soon as you've joined up and started posting. I'm not saying it's right to go about criticising someone without considerable forethought (if at all really), in fact for the most part whilst I thought your post was funny, it probably was badly worded for those that don't know you well enough to know that at times you can be tongue in cheek. However, if you join a site and assume you're safe from being called out by forumites that are unable to conduct themselves with any decorum then you've made a mistake.

[b]It's the internet, people have a habit of saying what they want because more often than not they won't suffer the repercussions in regular life. Everyone's an armchair critic when they want to be.[/b][/quote]
The fact that it is the internet does not excuse the fact that people choose to act like complete tools.

Personally, I do my best not to say anything through the web I wouldn't say face to face. It is all fine and dandy to rant at a PC screen, but on the other side is someone real. If I wouldn't like to see random people being nasty to me, why should I be nasty to them?

[quote name='Doddy' post='1115347' date='Feb 4 2011, 02:33 PM']Jeff Berlin speaks a lot of truth and sense.
Do I agree with everything he says? No,but I agree with an awful lot of it. He's one of the most accomplished players on the instrument,and is obviously very confident in his ability,and this is often seen as arrogance. I've read interviews with players who I consider a lot poorer than Berlin,who have come across as being a lot more arrogant.[/quote]

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1115410' date='Feb 4 2011, 03:00 PM']JBs problem is that he forces people to deal with the fact that doing this music thing properly is hard, there is no quick way of getting there, only proper study. Whether you agree about metronomes or no is a minor point. His critiques of music schools who take you r money and offer little in return are legit but threaten a lot of people who are making a lot of money. He is going to raise the hackles of some. Personally, I like his candour.[/quote]
I was going to post something but these two posts sum up everything I was going to say - thanks Doddy & Bilbo. :)

[quote name='Spoombung' post='1115738' date='Feb 4 2011, 06:50 PM']Yeah, but he looks like he could handle himself off screen, though. Or at least burn my eyes out with his cigarette and electrocute me with his cables.[/quote]

That just always reminds me of this..

Edited by TomKent

I suppose famous players get so used to getting compliments that criticism (or someone disagreeing with them) can be hard to handle. After all, if you do a bass clinic, I don't suppose people would turn up who don't like you!

Why do famous players have to go on forums as themselves anyway. Why not keep anonymous and just enjoy the banter!

I did write out a longer post, but I don't think it's worth adding to the discussion so I'll keep it to a minimum.

Just looking at this thread, it's got people gossiping about someone's private life and people being very strongly and publically judgemental about someone they've never met.

Are we surprised there's not (m)any famous bassists here?

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1115827' date='Feb 4 2011, 08:07 PM']Just looking at this thread, it's got people gossiping about someone's private life and people being very strongly and publically judgemental about someone they've never met.[/quote]

I was being publicly critical about a public figure based on what he has said and done in public.