Why become a member? ×

Thread On Tb...

bubinga5

Haven't watched the videos, but from the responses he's received, and the ones he's dished out, I'd say there're an inordinate amount of tossers with access to keyboards in the world.

Quick edit: I'm not including your good self in that statement b5, I agree with your assessment of that guy's contribution to the thread.

Edited by beardybass

If I heard something like that on the radio I'd change channels straight away - it's a musical style that I really detest.

However, if someone wants to play that style of music then they have every right to do so and should be supported in their endeavours.

I do detect the rather unsubtle 'clip clop' of several pairs of feet under a bridge in that particular thread though... :)

I think there's some hypocrisy going on. It seems fine to slag off all and sundry UNTIL they become a member of your favourite bass forum, then all slagging is off limits.

For instance one has to be careful of what one says about Janek Gwizdala, Dave Marks, etc. because even though these players are in the public domain and therefore open to all kinds of positive, negative and indifferent criticism, they are members of this community and the moderators will take it ill if you write any negatives.

I hope Alain Caron doesn't sign up on Basschat for instance :)

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='1094879' date='Jan 19 2011, 10:27 AM']....It seems fine to slag off all and sundry UNTIL they become a member of your favourite bass forum, then all slagging is off limits....[/quote]
There are thousands of people logged in to BC during a day so what anyone posts goes out to a world wide audience. We should always post as if the interested parties were reading it.

I think that "slagging off" reflects badly on the "slagger" and not on the "slagee"!

Anyone can express dislike without resorting to childish comments. Well, most of us!

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1094952' date='Jan 19 2011, 11:41 AM']I find it hard to spend time on TB without wanting to put my fist through my monitor these days and threads like that are one of the reasons why.[/quote]
To be fair, threads like this pop up on BC fairly regularly. It's not specific to TB.

[quote name='silddx' post='1094879' date='Jan 19 2011, 10:27 AM']I hope Alain Caron doesn't sign up on Basschat for instance :)[/quote]

:)
Can we still talk about Jeff Berlin's trainers?

If you put a lame bass showpiece on Youtube and tell everyoe how good it is then there might just be a slim chance someone on an internet forum might link it for a laugh.

Not saying he deserved the "that guy is a w@nker!" comments but his tuneless masterpiece is gonna get more detractors than fans.

Just sayin...

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1095021' date='Jan 19 2011, 12:32 PM']:)
Can we still talk about Jeff Berlin's trainers?

If you put a lame bass showpiece on Youtube and tell everyoe how good it is then there might just be a slim chance someone on an internet forum might link it for a laugh.

Not saying he deserved the "that guy is a w@nker!" comments but his tuneless masterpiece is gonna get more detractors than fans.

Just sayin...[/quote]
Heh heh! Hi Top Hell, a proper chav is Jeffrey.

The problem is you never know how sensitive people are on the internetz. I've even seen people on here, albeit rarely, dish out some serious sh*t on some people, then get rounded on and they can't take it. Or if someone has has some bad news which coincides with them getting a good slagging. Some people could be vertyupset by it. But I suppose you can't tread on broken glass everywhere, I think you have to have a thick skin sometimes. However, I know how I would feel if someone said I look like a right c*** on youtube in a BC thread.

I clicked the link, read the title then closed the page. I'm pretty sure I know how the thread panned out without reading it - and that's nothing against TalkBass, because I would probably gloss over a thread on any forum asking for opinions on a person's playing. Been a Moderator long enough! ha ha!

[quote name='silddx' post='1094879' date='Jan 19 2011, 10:27 AM']I think there's some hypocrisy going on. It seems fine to slag off all and sundry UNTIL they become a member of your favourite bass forum, then all slagging is off limits.

For instance one has to be careful of what one says about Janek Gwizdala, Dave Marks, etc. because even though these players are in the public domain and therefore open to all kinds of positive, negative and indifferent criticism, they are members of this community and the moderators will take it ill if you write any negatives.

I hope Alain Caron doesn't sign up on Basschat for instance :)[/quote]

Hiya Nige, hope your OK mate. You make some valid points in your post.

From my own perspective as a mod, and it is my own perspective. I think that the likes of Janek, Dave etc have a great deal to offer basschat members if they were free to comment without getting flamed all the time. There would be some excellent advice on gear or playing styles for example.

As a forum member I've always felt it's a shame that some of the more prominent players probably stay away from posting on the forum for the fear of getting flamed.
I fully understand that as Pro's they are in the public domain etc and open to criticism, which is fair enough. but I sometimes think it's at our great loss to us that a lot of them don't come on here.

I alway's work under the opinion that just because I think something is brilliant, others will think it's crap. Such is life.

At least most of the Pro's don't end up playing the Frog and Tw*t every week. :)

[quote name='Johngh' post='1095126' date='Jan 19 2011, 01:39 PM']Hiya Nige, hope your OK mate. You make some valid points in your post.

From my own perspective as a mod, and it is my own perspective. I think that the likes of Janek, Dave etc have a great deal to offer basschat members if they were free to comment without getting flamed all the time. There would be some excellent advice on gear or playing styles for example.

As a forum member I've always felt it's a shame that some of the more prominent players probably stay away from posting on the forum for the fear of getting flamed.
I fully understand that as Pro's they are in the public domain etc and open to criticism, which is fair enough. but I sometimes think it's at our great loss to us that a lot of them don't come on here.

I alway's work under the opinion that just because I think something is brilliant, others will think it's crap. Such is life.

At least most of the Pro's don't end up playing the Frog and Tw*t every week. :)[/quote]
:)

I sort of agree with you, but really, I think they should be able to stick up for themselves a bit better than they have. All art is open to interpretation and recieveng the attendant criticism/opinion.

I certainly agree they have a lot to contribute, I wish they would do more but being a pro jobbing bassist probably entails not giving out too much free advice unless there is some earning potential generated from it.

[quote name='silddx' post='1095165' date='Jan 19 2011, 02:09 PM']:)

I sort of agree with you, but really, I think they should be able to stick up for themselves a bit better than they have. All art is open to interpretation and recieveng the attendant c[b]riticism/opinion[/b].[/quote]

I agree with that....
But its when criticism/opinion turns into abuse - [all from the safety of a user name, internet connection and hiding in the bedroom]

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1095170' date='Jan 19 2011, 02:11 PM']I think a lot of people just like to criticize others to make up for their own shortcomings.[/quote]
Perhaps, but certainly not always.

I would agree that the further up the ladder we go, the less we should shoot our gobs off. You won't hear Geddy Lee slagging anyone off. On the other hand, Scott Thunes does, but that may contribute the the fact he doesn't work much.

[quote name='lowdown' post='1095179' date='Jan 19 2011, 02:18 PM']I agree with that....
But its when criticism/opinion turns into abuse - [all from the safety of a user name, internet connection and hiding in the bedroom]

Garry[/quote]
The abuse has been very rare, and was really all from a single person who shared the same moniker as a leading brodcast organisation.

[quote name='dood' post='1095120' date='Jan 19 2011, 02:34 PM']I clicked the link, read the title then closed the page.[/quote]

I got a little further than you - I clicked on the featured YouTube link and actually managed to sit through the first 30 seconds of the clip... Then I ran away.

[quote name='silddx' post='1095180' date='Jan 19 2011, 02:18 PM']Perhaps, but certainly not always.

I would agree that the further up the ladder we go, the less we should shoot our gobs off. You won't hear Geddy Lee slagging anyone off. On the other hand, Scott Thunes does, but that may contribute the the fact he doesn't work much.[/quote]

Have you not read the Pat Metheny rant over Kenny G?...Priceless

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='1095186' date='Jan 19 2011, 03:21 PM']Have you not read the Pat Metheny rant over Kenny G?...Priceless[/quote]

Kenny G is a GOD! If it wasn't for him supermarkets all over the world would have no background muzak to soothe customers while they shop! :)

[quote name='silddx' post='1095183' date='Jan 19 2011, 02:20 PM']The abuse has been very rare, and was really all from a single person who shared the same moniker as a leading brodcast organisation.[/quote]

Well i tended to lose interest when he was involved, so would have ducked out and missed it - nothing to offer me on a Musical level.

Garry

Edited by lowdown