Why become a member? ×

Thread On Tb...

bubinga5

[quote name='silddx' post='1095197' date='Jan 19 2011, 02:29 PM']I haven't! Do tell!![/quote]

I will try and find the link.

Ok Edit - here it is.
[url="http://www.jazzoasis.com/methenyonkennyg.htm"]http://www.jazzoasis.com/methenyonkennyg.htm[/url]

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' post='1094848' date='Jan 19 2011, 09:54 AM']Why start a thread and say nothing? Just curious..

One thing with the dude - he is getting a bit of exposure over at TB.

Garry[/quote]Ok.. i thing his playing is pretty awful.. bad timing.. he doesnt deserve to be called what he was.. If he didnt big himself up so much it wouldnt be so bad...but the fact he thinks hes so amazing seems a little sad.. But if he enjoys himself, good on him

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1095202' date='Jan 19 2011, 02:30 PM']Ok.. i thing his playing is pretty awful.. bad timing.. he doesnt deserve to be called what he was.. If he didnt big himself up so much it wouldnt be so bad...but the fact he thinks hes so amazing seems a little sad.. But if he enjoys himself, good on him[/quote]
He sounds like he would believe anything TBH :)

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1095170' date='Jan 19 2011, 02:11 PM']I think a lot of people just like to criticize others to make up for their own shortcomings.[/quote]

I think in the TB thread it was because the guy had a low level of fundamental ability coupled with an enormous ego.

He genuinely thinks he's a very advanced player and in the posts he makes it's obvious he thinks he's a cut above the average gigging bass player. He mistakes this over-inflated sense of ability as confidence when in reality it's ignorance.

He's a learner level bass player who thinks he's pro-level and he isn't shy of telling people that, it's easy to see why that becomes annoying and people turn against him.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1095207' date='Jan 19 2011, 02:34 PM']I think in the TB thread it was because the guy had a low level of fundamental ability coupled with an enormous ego.

He genuinely thinks he's a very advanced player and in the posts he makes it's obvious he thinks he's a cut above the average gigging bass player. He mistakes this over-inflated sense of ability as confidence when in reality it's ignorance.

He's a learner level bass player who thinks he's pro-level and he isn't shy of telling people that, it's easy to see why that becomes annoying and people turn against him.[/quote]
I actually think he is quite advanced, until he tries to pull those advanced techniques off... seems like his mind is ahead of his actual talent

[quote name='lowdown' post='1095200' date='Jan 19 2011, 03:30 PM']I will try and find the link.

Ok Edit - here it is.
[url="http://www.jazzoasis.com/methenyonkennyg.htm"]http://www.jazzoasis.com/methenyonkennyg.htm[/url]

Garry[/quote]

He doesn't mince his words, does he? :)

"But when Kenny G decided that it was appropriate for him to defile the music of the man who is probably the greatest jazz musician that has ever lived by spewing his lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, f***ed up playing all over one of the great Louis's tracks (even one of his lesser ones), he did something that I would not have imagined possible. He, in one move, through his unbelievably pretentious and calloused musical decision to embark on this most cynical of musical paths, sh*t all over the graves of all the musicians past and present who have risked their lives by going out there on the road for years and years developing their own music inspired by the standards of grace that Louis Armstrong brought to every single note he played over an amazing lifetime as a musician."

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1095216' date='Jan 19 2011, 02:41 PM']I actually think he is quite advanced, until he tries to pull those advanced techniques off... seems like his mind is ahead of his actual talent[/quote]

Well, if someone clearly has difficulty with basic rhythm and melody then i'm inclined to think they're a learner level player. I watched a few of his videos and he doesn't really display any understanding of music in any context IMO. I mean i can see what he's doing, i just can't see any purpose behing all of those haphazard slaps and pops.

Still, that's irrelevant as there's nothing at all wrong with being a beginner - i'm no great shakes but can play in tune and in time.
It's the attitude of the guy - i appreciate that finding a TB thread with loads of people talking about how sh1t you are can't be nice but he does himself no favours.

I think if he didn't big himself up then the thread wouldn't exist, therefore it's more to do with the guy himself rather than his ability.

[quote name='silddx' post='1094879' date='Jan 19 2011, 10:27 AM'].... they are members of this community and the moderators will take it ill if you write any negatives.[/quote]

Can I just correct that? The moderators don't care what opinion a person has about a particular musician. We DO however care about how that opinion is put across on the forum. You're kinda suggesting otherwise. :)

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1095207' date='Jan 19 2011, 02:34 PM']I think in the TB thread it was because the guy had a low level of fundamental ability coupled with an enormous ego.

He's a learner level bass player who thinks he's pro-level and he isn't shy of telling people that, it's easy to see why that becomes annoying and people turn against him.[/quote]
I agree.

[quote name='dood' post='1095237' date='Jan 19 2011, 02:57 PM']Can I just correct that? The moderators don't care what opinion a person has about a particular musician. We DO however care about how that opinion is put across on the forum. You're kinda suggesting otherwise. :)[/quote]
Sorry Dan, I absolutely meant what you say in your second sentence [i]We DO however care about how that opinion is put across on the forum.[/i]

Maybe I wasn't clear enough.

[quote name='silddx' post='1095242' date='Jan 19 2011, 03:01 PM']Sorry Dan, I absolutely meant what you say in your second sentence [i]We DO however care about how that opinion is put across on the forum.[/i]

Maybe I wasn't clear enough.[/quote]

Tha's alreet! Just wanted to clarify that and added a smillie on the end for good measure.

[quote name='lowdown' post='1095200' date='Jan 19 2011, 02:30 PM']I will try and find the link.

Ok Edit - here it is.

Garry[/quote]
Cheers for that mate.
I've a lot more time for Metheny after that :)

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1095202' date='Jan 19 2011, 02:30 PM']Ok.. i thing his playing is pretty awful.. bad timing.. he doesnt deserve to be called what he was.. If he didnt big himself up so much it wouldnt be so bad...but the fact he thinks hes so amazing seems a little sad.. But if he enjoys himself, good on him.[/quote]
Broadly with you on this B5, but one thing that becomes readily apparent from hanging around TB is that the use of the 'W' word usually means 'shredder' or 'pointless over the top noodler' (as in the term 'fretw***ery'), & I suspect that this is what was implied & I make 'em right in that regard. He may be a gifted onanist as well, but that's his own business & I'm not going there.

Jaxns replies make much of his 'self-confidence', & I agree he has that by the barrowful - the guy has more front than Selfridges :) - but there's a fine line betweeen being self-confident and coming over as cocky or arrogant, & in my opinion he's crossed that line and is accelerating away from it.

FWIW I went through all 6 pages & followed every link (except the Branford Marsalis one). If he's getting paid work off those videos, good luck to him. Not one of them lasted more than a minute with me, & I'm wondering who to apply to to get 1/2 an hour of my life back.

Maybe there's a secret market for pointless generic noodling that I've hitherto been unaware of. Perhaps that's it! Of Course! All those 'players' in Guitar Shops? They're all members of some Secret Society. Obvious now.

So how do I join the Ancient & Venerable Order of Fretw**ers? I'm asking purely out of avarice. :)

Pete.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='1095264' date='Jan 19 2011, 03:20 PM']Broadly with you on this B5, but one thing that becomes readily apparent from hanging around TB is that the use of the 'W' word usually means 'shredder' or 'pointless over the top noodler' (as in the term 'fretw***ery'), & I suspect that this is what was implied & I make 'em right in that regard. He may be a gifted onanist as well, but that's his own business & I'm not going there.[/quote]

Yep, 'w***ing' does not have the same meaning in the US. I think Bubinga5 mistook the level of insult that was intended.

It actually reminds me of me, mainly when im playing superstition (or some other generally E based funky thing) in the house band at open mic, and the leader calls for a bass solo, and my mind, despite my age and twenty years gigging experience still sometimes goes:
:) GIRLS!, IN THE ROOM!, AND POSSIBLY OTHER PEOPLE TOO!, I NEED TO PLAY AS MANY NOTES AS POSSIBLE AS FAST AS POSSIBLE! SO THEY'LL NOTICE IM HERE!!!!!............GO, GO, GO!!! WIDDLY WIDDLY, THUMP, THUMP, THWACKEY THWACKEDY BANG BANG.......YEAH!! I SHOWED THEM!!

Ill be honest, it does!, I CAN do it, i know i SHOULDNT do it, but sometimes i just do... I need help.

help me :)

Edited by gafbass02

[quote name='lowdown' post='1095186' date='Jan 19 2011, 02:21 PM']Have you not read the Pat Metheny rant over Kenny G?...Priceless

Garry[/quote]
Ooh, thanks for that! I agree with Pat given the nature of Kenny G's appalling transgression of taste and decency regarding his MUSICAL necrophilia.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='1095354' date='Jan 19 2011, 04:47 PM']Ooh, thanks for that! I agree with Pat given the nature of Kenny G's appalling transgression of taste and decency regarding his necrophilia.[/quote]

You do realise that everyone who reads that post and doesn't read the initial link now thinks that Kenny G is a very sick, disturbed man?