Why become a member? ×

Another band rant

thunderbird13

OK – I wasn’t really on the look out for another band but by chance I saw an advert in Gumtree for a bassist from a band who practice very close to where I live, not only that but they did cover versions of songs I actually like. Anyway 2 weeks before Christmas I had a jam with them and everything went OK and they offered me the gig. I had a telephone conversation with the singer just before Christmas where everything seemed to be going OK and since then nothing. I sent a text to him about 10 days ago and haven’t had a response yet so I suppose that’s that. TBH if I don’t hear back I’m going to knock the band thing on the head for the rest of the year, I genuinely cannot think of another freetime activity where people behave like this. Still there’s loads of other things I want to do and I still have my little practise group which meets once a month so at least I’ll keep my hand in if I change my mind

Still at least I passed an audition :)

I can sympathise coz I,ve been in the same boat! :) Having said that, Xmas was only two and a half weeks ago, so I wouldnt worry yet!
Maybe you can text them again or maybe ring them.
Give it another week or so and maybe text them saying something along the lines of "I havent heard anything from you guys so I assume you no longer need me?"

[quote name='Clarky' post='1086810' date='Jan 12 2011, 03:44 PM']I hate bad manners (not Buster Bloodvessel's lot!) We auditioned a drummer and took him for a drink in November. Said he would get back to us that week. Guess what ......[/quote]

yeah, but that's cos he's a drummer :)

I know exactly what you mean. With bands it's never a case of "sorry, we didn't like you" or "we thought you were good, just not us" type of thing. No-one even attempts to be polite. As soon as they decide they don't want you then that's it: no more contact, no nothing. At all. Makes me sick really. Would it kill you just to say "sorry, but we don't think you're right for our band" or something like that?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1086822' date='Jan 12 2011, 03:50 PM']A guitarless one does.

[url="http://www.2sickmonkeys.com/"]http://www.2sickmonkeys.com/[/url][/quote]

That was the first thing to come into my head when i read that too!

They played in a local pub in a room that was smaller than most peoples living rooms. Awesome guys, awesome sound!

[quote name='Clarky' post='1086810' date='Jan 12 2011, 03:44 PM']I hate bad manners (not Buster Bloodvessel's lot!) We auditioned a drummer and took him for a drink in November. Said he would get back to us that week. Guess what ......[/quote]

By bizarre coincidence I met someone last week who claimed they used to be the drummer in Bad Manners !

I auditioned for a great band up here (unpaid). They were very good, but then again, the basslines were just very simple and solid. I nailed it, and the backing harmonies, and me and the guitarist had a awesome gear chat.

They seemed very happy. They said they had another guy who they had known for a while trying out....apparently he wasnt that great on bass though.

Guess who got it? Yep, the guy they knew, despite his 'I am guitarist trying to be a bassist' which I cant stand.

I wouldnt have minded if they were polite, but the singer has me on facebook and I messaged him hoping he was well etc, and asked who they eventually went with (I knew, but I wanted an explanation).

I got nothing back. My girlfriend thinks they are the type that ride the coat tails of large bands but never make it. They are a bit on the lazy side, but a very tight band.

Shame, as the drummer and me could have established a 'proper' rhythm section.

Most guitarists I know, unless they are very observant, dont understand why bass works as it does and its importance. One of my friends DOES get it, and I hope to get a band going with him back home within the next month as hes super slick on guitar.

[quote name='Hobbayne' post='1086816' date='Jan 12 2011, 03:48 PM']Having said that, Xmas was only two and a half weeks ago, so I wouldnt worry yet!
Maybe you can text them again or maybe ring them.
Give it another week or so and maybe text them saying something along the lines of "I havent heard anything from you guys so I assume you no longer need me?"[/quote]

[quote name='sprocketflup' post='1086878' date='Jan 12 2011, 04:32 PM']If youve only texted try a call? texts dont always get thru, specially on my bloody phone anyway[/quote]

I should have pointed out that they do have an important paying gig in the middle of Feb so if they need to sort themselves out before that or they're going to miss out. I suppose I could try contacting them again but do I want to get involved with people who appear to be so disorganised.

Just one of the reasons why I decided to retire from live playing! To be fair, I've never had any personal issues with bands other than time management issues, as shift work can be troublesome. But other bands can be so rude and obnoxious, as documented by the many threads about other bands wanting to lend gear around here. Given that live work was all effort and no reward, the band decided to retire to the studio where we can just spend a bit of time when we've got time and mess around recording what we like.

Mind you, if this lot haven't gotten back to you then it seems like they aren't worth your time anyway!

I'd try one more text before deciding. I have had people text me and i didnt get it. It depends on how long you have told the base station to hold on to texts and stuff for before deleting them automatically. Someone who has say, lost their phone in the boot of their car (me) or down the side of the seats (also me) or left it at work(me too) or just lost the phone entirely (yes me again) would not have got your message through an innocent mistake.

I'd call them. Not replying to your texts gives them an easy way out. Call them up, say you were expecting them to get in touch and is everything OK. That way, if they are playing silly buggers they have to either lie to you on the phone or tell you that despite them previously saying they were happy, they've found someone else or changed their minds.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='1087220' date='Jan 12 2011, 08:59 PM']I'd call them. Not replying to your texts gives them an easy way out. Call them up, say you were expecting them to get in touch and is everything OK. That way, if they are playing silly buggers they have to either lie to you on the phone or tell you that despite them previously saying they were happy, they've found someone else or changed their minds.[/quote]

Funnily enough I just did - or rather tired to , my call was rejected. :)

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='1087269' date='Jan 12 2011, 09:30 PM']Funnily enough I just did - or rather tired to , my call was rejected. :)[/quote]

Forget them, they're obviously playing silly buggers. I wouldn't sweat it though. Sounds like you did well at the audition, so it's their loss. There aren't that many solid bass players with good gear, a professional attitude and their own transport out there ('cos we're all on here!); the law of averages says that eventually all the planets will come into alignment and everything will just click. The bad bit is the waiting, can be a bit frustrating.

Sounds like you had a lucky escape with these jokers - if they can't even work a phone then how the hell can they operate PA etc... probably something else you'd get roped into (IME it's only bass players who do this). :)

Don't take it personally and don't let the negativity of this experience dull your passion for playing.

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='1086797' date='Jan 12 2011, 03:30 PM']TBH if I don’t hear back I’m going to knock the band thing on the head for the rest of the year[/quote]

So, if you'd applied for, say, a full time job, and you didn't hear anything, would you refuse to apply for any other job for the rest of the year?

My view is: F*ck 'em. If they don't want you, that's their loss. Go find another, better band, have shitloads of fun, and don't look back.

Stay groovy, and bestaluck

BB

[quote name='bassbloke' post='1087220' date='Jan 12 2011, 08:59 PM']I'd call them. Not replying to your texts gives them an easy way out. Call them up, say you were expecting them to get in touch and is everything OK. That way, if they are playing silly buggers they have to either lie to you on the phone or tell you that despite them previously saying they were happy, they've found someone else or changed their minds.[/quote]

This..... but only to close the deal.

This isn't going to work as they would have come back to you by now...or they are so useless, you don't want to get involved anyway

Opps... didn't see the above posts

Edited by JTUK