Why become a member? ×

Dean Entwistle Signature Model

dwh87

[quote]Dean Guitars and the John Entwistle estate will be unveiling two models of the new John Entwistle bass line at the 2011 Winter Namm show in Anaheim, California January 13th through 16th.

According to John's son Chris Entwistle, the estate chose Dean because of their attention to detail plus their willingness and ability to bring the project to market swiftly without sacrificing quality.

Steve Luongo, John's drummer and personal friend of 15 years steered the estate to Dean Guitars as he knew company CEO Elliott "Dean" Rubinson is a touring bass player who grew up on John's playing. "Brand was not as important to John as the actual playability and John would let the instrument do the talking" said Luongo. "John has been a huge influence on me and I am proud to be on the front line in the development of these instruments, also being able to play and hear them live on stage when playing with the Michael Schenker Group and Cactus" Rubinson said.

The first two models in the new Entwistle line are 'The Spider' and 'The Hybrid', both made in Dean's legendary USA Custom Woodshop in Tampa, FL. Both of these USA models will incorporate the new Aphex Exciter/Big Bottom/Compression circuit on board, an industry first. There is also a Hybrid model that sells for under $1000. "I know that if John were here today he would love these basses" said company CEO Rubinson who will join Steve Luongo and Mark Hitt on stage at the Dean Guitars 2nd Annual NAMM JAM party, Fri. Jan 14th at The Grove of Anaheim, where the bass will be played in public for the first time[/quote]

Thanks to the various sources over on the talkbass forum

One word: Minging. And two others: Cash-in.

I remember being surprised when Warwick came out with the Buzzard again after he died, since he ditched them years before. What was wrong with the Status Buzzards? Those were the last basses he played while he was still alive.

Also, for the "Fenderbird" fans, there's far better examples out there. This lot make a "proper" one with original Fender and Gibson parts:
[url="http://www.cataldobasses.com/"]http://www.cataldobasses.com/[/url]

[quote name='Russ' post='1085507' date='Jan 11 2011, 01:59 PM']One word: Minging. And two others: Cash-in.

I remember being surprised when Warwick came out with the Buzzard again after he died, since he ditched them years before. What was wrong with the Status Buzzards? Those were the last basses he played while he was still alive.[/quote]

Funny, that he considered the Status the evolution of the Buzzard which is why he was playing it and kept his Warwick basses at home. But of course. Warwick could throw a lot of money to the Entwistle estate, because they managed to acquire the rights to the Buzzard shape and stopped Status making them. And from what I've heard, speaking to knowledgeable parties, Status will never make their Buzzard again. I am not sure, but I have heard that the molds used to lay up the graphite fibres have been destroyed, so Status couldn't even make one if they wanted to.

A lot of money has been made of John since he died, I guess! Anyone interested in his gear should check out the "Bass Book". I'm not an Entwistle fan but I got it as a birthday present from my brother a couple of years ago. It's a stunning book with some awesome basses in it, looks great on the downstairs bookshelf too!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1085665' date='Jan 11 2011, 04:15 PM']Funny, that he considered the Status the evolution of the Buzzard which is why he was playing it and kept his Warwick basses at home. But of course. Warwick could throw a lot of money to the Entwistle estate, because they managed to acquire the rights to the Buzzard shape and stopped Status making them. And from what I've heard, speaking to knowledgeable parties, Status will never make their Buzzard again. I am not sure, but I have heard that the molds used to lay up the graphite fibres have been destroyed, so Status couldn't even make one if they wanted to.

A lot of money has been made of John since he died, I guess! Anyone interested in his gear should check out the "Bass Book". I'm not an Entwistle fan but I got it as a birthday present from my brother a couple of years ago. It's a stunning book with some awesome basses in it, looks great on the downstairs bookshelf too![/quote]

It's just been pointed out to me that apparently Status still make the B-2 - I thought the same as you, that they had to destroy all the graphite moulds, but that must have just been for the original Buzzard. It's still on the Status website, but there's no mention of John Entwistle.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1085872' date='Jan 11 2011, 06:28 PM']Anyone come across what sort of price these are going to be??[/quote]

The Spiders are going to be ridiculously expensive, since they're only making 25 of them, but the others should be under a grand.

Chris Entwistle has just chipped in on the subject over on TB... apparently Dean was the only company the Entwistle estate felt comfortable dealing with.

[quote name='Russ' post='1085859' date='Jan 11 2011, 06:17 PM']It's just been pointed out to me that apparently Status still make the B-2 - I thought the same as you, that they had to destroy all the graphite moulds, but that must have just been for the original Buzzard. It's still on the Status website, but there's no mention of John Entwistle.[/quote]

Yes, they still make the B-2 but I'm no Entwistle nut so I'm not sure what the connection between John and the instrument is. I'm not sure why Dean are the only company they felt comfortable with though, maybe they were offering the most money? Since I don't think John himself had any connection with them.

I'm not a huge fan of Dean though, I thought it was cool when they were doing the USA made Jeff Berlin model because it seemed like a really "different" signature model, very much Jeff's creation in a way. Then they discontinued it and brought it back as a cheap model, which Jeff was unhappy with and even said something along the lines of "upgrade the pickups to USA Bartolinis and you'll have a very good instrument for a good price" about it!

Edited by Chris2112

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1085889' date='Jan 11 2011, 06:44 PM']Yes, they still make the B-2 but I'm no Entwistle nut so I'm not sure what the connection between John and the instrument is. I'm not sure why Dean are the only company they felt comfortable with though, maybe they were offering the most money? Since I don't think John himself had any connection with them.

I'm not a huge fan of Dean though, I thought it was cool when they were doing the USA made Jeff Berlin model because it seemed like a really "different" signature model, very much Jeff's creation in a way. Then they discontinued it and brought it back as a cheap model, which Jeff was unhappy with and even said something along the lines of "upgrade the pickups to USA Bartolinis and you'll have a very good instrument for a good price" about it![/quote]

Chris E just posted this on TB:

[quote]Unfortunately Warwick were only supposed to get the rights to produce the Wooden buzzard. The estate solicitors, with remarkable short sightedness, increased that to anything remotely to do with bass guitars.
Relations with Status were damaged severely due to this, with my profound regrets.
Possible in the future? Always open to discussions.[/quote]

Thats a bloody shame, to know that Chris would still like the proper Buzzards to be made! I like Warwick basses, but their reputation as businessmen has never been fantastic, has it? I bet this will really annoy people like Senmen who are huge Entwistle fans and would love a new Status Buzzard!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1085926' date='Jan 11 2011, 07:15 PM']Thats a bloody shame, to know that Chris would still like the proper Buzzards to be made! I like Warwick basses, but their reputation as businessmen has never been fantastic, has it? I bet this will really annoy people like Senmen who are huge Entwistle fans and would love a new Status Buzzard![/quote]

Don't worry about Oliver (Senmen)... he has just got a B1. He is a very happy chappy! Those of us that have played the Warwick Buzzard and the Status Buzzard know which the best is!

Warwick and the whole Status debacle is extremely unfortunate and I wouldn't advise anyone to mention their name around Rob or Dawn. It is true that the moulds were destroyed and that no more will be made by Status even if they could, Rob told me that last year......

[quote name='Rich' post='1086014' date='Jan 11 2011, 08:22 PM']To my mind, since his sad death Ox's name has been subjected to a whole string of the most cynical [i]ker-ching[/i]. These are more of the same. Tasteless and sad.[/quote]

He really is being taken for a ride. I'm all for getting signature models out there so the fans have something to enjoy but...Dean? really?

[quote name='Russ' post='1085507' date='Jan 11 2011, 01:59 PM']Also, for the "Fenderbird" fans, there's far better examples out there. This lot make a "proper" one with original Fender and Gibson parts:
[url="http://www.cataldobasses.com/"]http://www.cataldobasses.com/[/url][/quote]
Oh yeah these give me GAS. They look pukka and not very expensive either.

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='Rich' post='1086014' date='Jan 11 2011, 08:22 PM']To my mind, since his sad death Ox's name has been subjected to a whole string of the most cynical [i]ker-ching[/i]. These are more of the same. Tasteless and sad.[/quote]

Agreed.

I never understood signature instruments that the related deceased artist never even played and probably wouldn't touch if they were still alive.

My mate has a Jimi Hendrix signature multi fx pedal, overpriced plasticy tat that isn't suitable for gigging - nice!

As said, kerching!