Why become a member? ×

New Lakland Active Jazzes

EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1072315' date='Dec 29 2010, 11:58 PM']

US only at the moment - read about them [url="http://www.lakland.com/44-55-AJ.htm"]here[/url].[/quote]

Now they are nice... but I don't like the way that the fingerboard passes past the nut and onto the headstock. What's that about?

[quote name='Sean' post='1072361' date='Dec 30 2010, 12:28 AM']I see that the 5 string is available as a 34" at no extra cost. I wonder if we'll see that option migrate to the Skyline range. I know that the 35" scale puts a lot of people off.[/quote]
I think 34" five string is now an option on all the US five strings - I'd be surprised if it got to the Skylines any time soon. But maybe, who knows.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1072322' date='Dec 30 2010, 12:04 AM']Now they are nice... but I don't like the way that the fingerboard passes past the nut and onto the headstock. What's that about?[/quote]
In the 5er it looks like they are trying to mask the string retainer thingy!

[quote name='bigthumb' post='1072451' date='Dec 30 2010, 09:11 AM']But again wouldn't the fingerboard look better if stopped at the nut?[/quote]
The fingerboard doesn't stop at the nut on any of my Fenders - and the thicker the fingerboard the further it extends beyond the nut. Are there basses (or guitars) where it does stop at the nut?

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1072715' date='Dec 30 2010, 01:52 PM']The fingerboard doesn't stop at the nut on any of my Fenders - and the thicker the fingerboard the further it extends beyond the nut. Are there basses (or guitars) where it does stop at the nut?

[/quote]

Same for three of my Yamahas. The fingerboard stops at the nut on my Spector NS5 but that's a different build philosophy altogether. Rosewood board MMs anyone?

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1072715' date='Dec 30 2010, 01:52 PM']The fingerboard doesn't stop at the nut on any of my Fenders - and the thicker the fingerboard the further it extends beyond the nut. Are there basses (or guitars) where it does stop at the nut?[/quote]

True... but there aren't many that extend the length of the Lakland and spread out like that at the headstock end.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1072715' date='Dec 30 2010, 01:52 PM']The fingerboard doesn't stop at the nut on any of my Fenders - and the thicker the fingerboard the further it extends beyond the nut. Are there basses (or guitars) where it does stop at the nut?[/quote]

Like the Spectors, the fingerboard stops at the nut on NT Warwick basses.

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='1072327' date='Dec 30 2010, 12:06 AM']Not doing it for me!
Like Lakland jazzes, great style, but these look like a shot at the classy, boutique style market?[/quote]

Yep..agree. Trying too hard and there are other basses that do fancy MUCH better than that, IMO.

So, no cigar. The active thing is a good move, but then I think they did a few active DJ and JO's to cover that, IIRC..

why oh why did you show me these!!!?? fingerboard passes the nut? wouldnt bother me.. the bridge has never bothered me either..i like em... very exciting stuff...ok im a jazz bass nut..

hope they do a Skyline version

Frickin love the 4...ok the DJ is smokin too.. never liked the upper horn of the DJ but that is very nice....

Edited by bubinga5

I like them. A bit unsure about the bridge in terms of looks, but at least it stops it from being a complete Fender clone. Same with the fingerboard/headstock issue. After buying a Sadowsky Metro I think I have fulfilled my 'expensive active electronic instrument based on a Fender jazz' quota. One is enough for me. The five string I would maybe consider, but I think its well out of my price range just now, and for a five string I would prefer to have 24 frets, I don't know why, I just do.

I'm not a big fan of the bridge or the fretboard overhang or the top really. To me a jazz is a traditional looking bass, I find when people try and make them look modern, they usually just look a bit silly. It's like taking a classic car and putting on chrome rims and a loud stereo.

Of course I'm totally besotted by my Sandberg Jazz 5 though, so I may be a bit biased. :)