Why become a member? ×

Car themed basses

gafbass02

Following my competition stripe idea i thought id mention i've always thought car themed paint schemes would be cool, such as a GULF blue and orange stripe thing, or a black and gold precision trans am theme with firebird logo of course, british racing green with leather pickguard, an STP logo, or how about a herbie bass in white with the stripes and circular racing number?

Am i bonkers?

Edited by gafbass02

You could do Lotus colours. You have the Type 25 which is Lotus Racing Green with yellow stripe. Type 79 with is the JPS Lotus colours which is black and gold. JPS lotus colours of Black with Gold. The Type 49 which is the Goldleaf Lotus which is Red, White and Gold. You also have the Type 23 which is white with green stripes and the Type 99 which is yellow and blue.

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='122350' date='Jan 17 2008, 06:13 PM']just get a fender jaguar![/quote]

Jaguar actually had a limited addition Fender Statocaster made! IIRC it was a glossy british racing green with luxury gold hardware and the Jaguar logo. The price tag was absolutely ridiculous!!!

[quote name='dood' post='123911' date='Jan 20 2008, 04:12 PM']Jaguar actually had a limited addition Fender Statocaster made! IIRC it was a glossy british racing green with luxury gold hardware and the Jaguar logo. The price tag was absolutely ridiculous!!![/quote]

Look behind the perspex display cabinets in PMT, Birmingham as you go up the stairs to the drum section for one of them...

[quote name='gafbass02' post='122352' date='Jan 17 2008, 06:14 PM']the GT40 is exactly what i had in mind[/quote]

I was thinking more of...

A Porsche 917.

Some basses definitely echo their contemporary car counterparts.
Fenders, Musicmen and G&L all often echo the looks, and engineering philosophy of the American auto industry.
Didn't Broncos or Mustangs have a competition stripe option?

Furthermore, witness naming policy; (various manufactuers, both instrument and auto)

Corvette
Stingray
Bronco
Mustang
Jaguar
(Aston) Martin?!
Infinity (Infiniti)
Viper
Barracuda

and so on.

Furthermore, in addition to the iconic status of some colour combinations, I doubt (with a few notable exceptions) that sponsors would use or permit unpleasant colour combinations, or even ones that didn't "work" visually/aesthetically.

Finally, it's not uncommon for (painted) instruments to be finished in precisely the same paint as cars, and I'll wager there must be a few Americans with vintage cars and matching guitars/basses!

In short, a perfectly valid association IMO.
Which does nothing to explain my collection being largely black or natural!! :)
(Except I think good feel & tone are more important than finish colour!)

[quote name='dood' post='123911' date='Jan 20 2008, 04:12 PM']Jaguar actually had a limited addition Fender Statocaster made! IIRC it was a glossy british racing green with luxury gold hardware and the Jaguar logo. The price tag was absolutely ridiculous!!![/quote]

GuitarGuitar in Glasgow have one of these and a matching Marshall amp decked out in magnolia Jaguar branded leather (or vinyl).

[quote name='Doc B' post='124462' date='Jan 21 2008, 11:49 AM']The Musicman Bongo was 'styled' by BMW's styling team led by Chris Bangle. The body contouring follows the 'flame-surfacing' approach on the current 'controversially' styled BMWs.[/quote]

It was actually styled by the people who designed the innards of the mini, not BMW.

I think a bongo which incorporated these colours would be wicked sweet:

[quote name='theosd' post='124494' date='Jan 21 2008, 12:28 PM']It was actually styled by the people who designed the innards of the mini, not BMW.

I think a bongo which incorporated these colours would be wicked sweet:

[/quote]

I stand corrected - a lot of info I'd seen just said BMW. It looks like a separate design house did it now I've down some digging around.

Speaking of Beemers - a white bass with the Alpina stripes would look pretty sweet too.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='125141' date='Jan 21 2008, 11:47 PM']My boss worked in the John Player Graphics studio in the 70s (before leaving to start his own agency where I now work) and one of his projects was the design of those black and gold graphics for the Lotus JPS F1 car.[/quote]

Seriously!, that is so damn cool!, i had a go kart copy made of wood and pram wheels when i was a kid!

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd get a photo of the one in PMT Brum when I was last in there:

[attachment=5611:Image_697_.gif]