Why become a member? ×

New gear for an old geezer

kingbee

Hello everyone, just joined this forum - which looks excellent - and will cut to the chase. Sincere apologies if this topic has ben covered elsewhere - happy to be referred to other threads.

For some years now I've been using a Hartke Model 2000 Transient Attack 200w head with an Ampeg SVT-115E Classic cab, and have always been delighted with the sound. However, I ain't getting any younger (62 in March) and recently tore a shoulder muscle which makes lugging the Ampeg (72lbs weight) more and more difficult, especially when lifting into the boot of the car.

Ergo, I'm looking for something lightweight. I've never liked combos. I don't do much by way of keeping up to date with developments in bass amplification technology, but I wonder if the new Neodynium speakers might do the trick? Ideally, depending on weight, I'd want a single 15 but am open to suggestions from those who think 12s or 10s could be the way to go. I've been looking at Ashdown cabs, for example, the ABM 115 which, at some 47lbs, could be the answer - any good?

As for my current head, it's still perfectly serviceable but it's now - dare I say it - getting on for 15 years of age. A great recommendation for Hartke, but heads don't go on for ever so might look to change this also. Incidentally, now need something with a Line Out which, bizarrely, is not available on the Hartke.

Whatever package I get, it has to be able to deliver in a wide range of venues (as my present package has easily done), from small venues to hotel ballrooms. My bass playing style is 'standard' (eg, no fancy slaps) and I don't need loads of brightness, more interested in a controlled bottom end.

Within reason, prepared to spend on quality kit, with absolute reliability being the main criterion.

All suggestions and advice gratefully recieved.

Many thanks.

Edited by kingbee

The Ashdowns are fairly good cabs but Ashdown aren't known for making the lightest gear around.

Since you are after light weight and 15s then I would suggest the Barefaced Compact. It's a single 15 with no tweeter and sounds like it would suit your sound requirements down to the ground, although the people who know speaker science will tell you that sound is not determined by speaker size

The Compact is a great sounding cab which weighs in at arouind 30lbs. Pair this with one of the modern micro amps and you have a total rig weight of less than 35lbs.

Edited by AndyMartin

The world is your oyster pretty much. FWIW I've been using a Mark Bass LMII head with a Schroeder 1212L for nearly 2 years now. Great on stage and FOH sound, the 2x12 really sits in the mix well and the head has plenty of power (500w) for the types of venue you're playing. I play in a functions band and this rig covers all the bases nicely. I'm sure they'll be plenty of others chiming in soon and you might wan to check out the Lightweight Rig thread too [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=466"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=466[/url]

There's lots of good neo cabs around. I'm a similar age and only started playing again recently. I had an Epifani UL 310 which I should have kept 'cos I now realise how good it was. But now using two 1 x 12 purple chili cabs weighing 14 kg each, and they sound fine to me. ( wouldn't recommend them tho' 'cos theire customer service is non- existant ) Try Epifani.

I went on a similar quest a couple of years ago, when I decided I needed something lighter.
I was happy with the sound of my Trace gear, but my back had had enough!

I have bought, and sold lots (too many!) amps and cabs before settling with my current rig.
As has already been mentioned "The world is your oyster"... it is also a potential minefield.

On reflection, it might have been easier to change cabs first, then replace the amp?

There are quite a few lighweight 15's out there, but don't dismiss the possibility of a good pair of 12's.

Good luck.

If you like the amp, I wouldn't give up on it yet. 15 yrs for a well made amp is nothing.
I don't know whether they made them well 15 yrs ago, mind... but I have a 20 yr U.S amp..not Hartke..and inside and out it is the dogs. What I am hinting at is quality control and components against the newer pacific rim operation. I prefer a high specced U.S job with top components and would pay for that, personally.

So, if you know and like that amp..I'd probably keep it and start with cabs.

A very popular way is to go with 12's and pr them up from 8ohms per can to 4 ohms paired. This will give you the max from your amp, but possibly 200w is on the low side these days...and you'll want to be running that at 4ohms to get that.

Popular choices for 12" are by most big names..and even ceramics put the cab at 40lbs or just over.
For tiny gigs, one wil surffice but twinned they are better than double the sum of the parts IMV..typically.
Aguilar might have the old skool vibe you seek... Epifani are sweet and pillowey and very light.
Most decent makers make a 12" version. Of course buying 2 12" is the expensive way to be flexible..and a 2x12 is cheaper but then heavier..unless the NEO's come in around 40 plus lbs..and they may well do. You'll need to get a 4ohns version to get the most out of your amp.
Amps...?? markbass are very popular and match with most hi end cabs, from what I can tell.

I rate them with Epifani and Aguilar, for sure.

One thing is for sure..there is a wealth of new technology in cabs and amps..and a lot of people here will have a preference or opinion about what works. They can even tell you what typical sounds an amp will expect to give so post up your wish-list and see what gets thrown up.

Vintage vibe...?? how about the new Aguiar set-up, TH head and SL cabs..?? if it sounds like it looks, you have a winner. Not cheap but answers all your questions..possibly..??

Thanks to all who've responded so far - and so quickly! (always a good sign of a good forum, in my book - I've often posted messages on other (non-related) fora and waited in vain for someone to get back to me, by which time I've lost interest or found the answer elsewhere ....)

Anyway, sounds like there will be a perfect solution, more than enough for me to research. Many thanks again.

BTW, anyone interested in buying a Hartke Model 2000 Transient Attack 200w head with an Ampeg SVT-115E Classic cab? Both mint!

Bob

[quote name='kingbee' post='1071512' date='Dec 29 2010, 10:13 AM']BTW, anyone interested in buying a Hartke Model 2000 Transient Attack 200w head with an Ampeg SVT-115E Classic cab? Both mint!

Bob[/quote]

Try sticking an advert in this thread? Forum rules mean that you have to state a price though...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showforum=20"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showforum=20[/url]

Hi, +1 with JTUK for keeping your amp, but you'll need a neo cab for the reduced weight. There are quite a few to choose from, Bergantino, Epifani, Markbass, Genz Benz etc. They all have their own "sound" so you should listen to them if you can and they’re quite expensive, unless you can buy used. The only non neo cab I'd recommend is one of the Aguilar GS112 or DB112 cabs. They sound great

The lightest, loud and full toned neo cab out there, in my opinion, is the Barefaced Compact at 26lbs. Send a PM to alexclabber and discuss pairing your amp with this cab. This is a great 1 cab solution and it's a sensitive cab so it'll make your 200 watts sound bigger and better than most other cabs.

I`ve recently bought some lightweight gear, namely a TC Electronics Classic 450 amp - weighs abt 4 or 5 kg, and an Ampeg SVT 210AV cab. If you like Ampeg sound, this cab is great, and at 25.9 lbs, is an easy one handed lift. It is only 200 watts though, so it depends on how much power you need.

BTW - I do pair the above with an Ampeg SVT410HE cab, so haven`t gone entirely lightweight yet :)

[quote name='kingbee' post='1071469' date='Dec 29 2010, 09:07 AM']Whatever package I get, it has to be able to deliver in a wide range of venues (as my present package has easily done), from small venues to hotel ballrooms. My bass playing style is 'standard' (eg, no fancy slaps) and I don't need loads of brightness, more interested in a controlled bottom end.[/quote]

I would definitely recommend that you have a look at the BFB Compact.

[url="http://barefacedbass.com/index.php?page=compact"]http://barefacedbass.com/index.php?page=compact[/url]

[quote name='chris_b' post='1071558' date='Dec 29 2010, 11:07 AM']Hi, +1 with JTUK for keeping your amp, but you'll need a neo cab for the reduced weight. There are quite a few to choose from, Bergantino, Epifani, Markbass, Genz Benz etc. They all have their own "sound" so you should listen to them if you can and they’re quite expensive, unless you can buy used. The only non neo cab I'd recommend is one of the Aguilar GS112 or DB112 cabs. They sound great

The lightest, loud and full toned neo cab out there, in my opinion, is the Barefaced Compact at 26lbs. Send a PM to alexclabber and discuss pairing your amp with this cab. This is a great 1 cab solution and it's a sensitive cab so it'll make your 200 watts sound bigger and better than most other cabs.[/quote]

I'll echo the above sentiment. My primary head is over 20 years old and that doesn't concern me - it was pretty well built. I did replace most of the electrolytic capacitors in it as a precaution as they're one of the few components that age appreciably.

A 200W amp driving efficient cabs is probably adequate for most situations although there's many here that will disagree with that!

On the cab front having single driver cabs that you can use in the necessary multiples will give you the lightest options.

I use two BFM Omni 10.5s - each has a Neo 10" driver and they light and manageable.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1071558' date='Dec 29 2010, 11:07 AM']Hi, +1 with JTUK for keeping your amp, but you'll need a neo cab for the reduced weight. There are quite a few to choose from, Bergantino, Epifani, Markbass, Genz Benz etc. They all have their own "sound" so you should listen to them if you can and they’re quite expensive, unless you can buy used. The only non neo cab I'd recommend is one of the Aguilar GS112 or DB112 cabs. They sound great

The lightest, loud and full toned neo cab out there, in my opinion, is the Barefaced Compact at 26lbs. Send a PM to alexclabber and discuss pairing your amp with this cab. This is a great 1 cab solution and it's a sensitive cab so it'll make your 200 watts sound bigger and better than most other cabs.[/quote]

Out of curiosity whats the difference between the Aguilar GS112 & DB112 apart from cost. I'm interested in buying one or other ?

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1073550' date='Dec 31 2010, 10:49 AM']....Out of curiosity whats the difference between the Aguilar GS112 & DB112 apart from cost. I'm interested in buying one or other....[/quote]
The GS112 came first and was an instant hit with a great tone from a small cab, but some people thought the tone was mid scooped, ie lacking in mids. The DB112 came next. Everything is the same as the GS112 but the cab is 1 inch deeper and this gives it more mids.

I owned 2 GS112's and would buy them again if they were lighter. I've never played a DB112 but the reviews are very favourable.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1075976' date='Jan 3 2011, 01:32 AM']The GS112 came first and was an instant hit with a great tone from a small cab, but some people thought the tone was mid scooped, ie lacking in mids. The DB112 came next. Everything is the same as the GS112 but the cab is 1 inch deeper and this gives it more mids.

I owned 2 GS112's and would buy them again if they were lighter. I've never played a DB112 but the reviews are very favourable.[/quote]

Cheers Chris,
Its taken me a few attempts on BC to get a decent simple explanation on the differences between these two cabs.
The 1" depth explains why the DB has more mid punch than GS.

Once again BC saves the day as I would probably have gone for the GS. I prefer a low - mid sound and DB would fit the bill better.
I will of course trial both before buying as advised by all.

Appreciated
Dave

[quote name='kingbee' post='1073542' date='Dec 31 2010, 10:43 AM']Thanks guys - plenty of food for thought. Delberthot, have looked at your review and this sounds interesting. Currently waiting for Alexclaber (Barefaced) to come back me with his thoughts before I take things further.

Have a great 2011, everyone. :)[/quote]

I'll wait with bated breath, kingbee, to hear the results of your quest! I'm the same age as you, and with a left arm damaged in an accident a few years ago, I have to be very careful what / how I lift. I'd already been considering a Barefaced Compact, and wondering what I should drive it with. I want a pretty old-school sound, so I'd considered either an Ashdown MAG600H or an Orange Terror Bass. We'll have to see. I don't want to end up having to sell stuff I'm fond of to finance this if I can avoid it!

[quote name='PVTele' post='1076710' date='Jan 3 2011, 08:02 PM']I'll wait with bated breath, kingbee, to hear the results of your quest! I'm the same age as you, and with a left arm damaged in an accident a few years ago, I have to be very careful what / how I lift. I'd already been considering a Barefaced Compact, and wondering what I should drive it with. I want a pretty old-school sound, so I'd considered either an Ashdown MAG600H or an Orange Terror Bass. We'll have to see. I don't want to end up having to sell stuff I'm fond of to finance this if I can avoid it![/quote]

Hi PVTele, nice to have the empathy! Jeez, it's true what they say: old bass players never die - they just keep on getting on everybody else's tits. And they don't come much older skool than me.

OK, I'm pretty close to going for the Barefaced Compact, just need to sell my Ampeg first (going in the "For Sale" forum any minute now). Alex Claber (Barefaced) seems a really decent, up-front kind of guy and if he says (based on what I have told him) that the Compact will do me, then (subject to a live trial, which he offers for 1 month) I believe him. As for driving it, I've only begun to realise how under-powered my Hartke 200w amp is, but Alex says it'll be fine for the Compact. I have asked him, however, to advise me on the most compatible amp for the Compact in case I want to change my Hartke at a later date, and I'm awaiting his reply. Will let you know. Feel free to PM me if you have ano other questions.

Cheers. Bob

[quote name='kingbee' post='1076780' date='Jan 3 2011, 09:09 PM']Jeez, it's true what they say: old bass players never die - they just keep on getting on everybody else's tits.[/quote]

Quite!!! :)

Trouble with these Barefaced cabs is you can't go and try them out with different amps. Given what Alex Caber says on the site, and in his excellent "But this goes to 11!" series of articles in BGM, we should be able to get away with 200W RMS into 8 ohms. (I'm just about getting away with my present, heavy, 180W 1x15" combo for blues gigs.) I'd been thinking of either the Warwick ProFet 3.3 or the Ashdown MAG300H. Of course, you have to be careful reading these ratings, which are mostly given into 4 ohms. I checked with Mark Gooday - amazingly quick email reply BTW! - and the MAG300H will indeed deliver 200W RMS into 8 ohms, so OK there.

Us old thumpers'll just have to find new ways to keep on thumping...

All the best

Mike

I went through the same search for lightweight gear when I joined this forum.
I would advise you to be cautious because it can be hard finding a rig that has the sound you are used to.
My old rig is an 80s Trace Elliot and I had become used to the sound, but the weight was taking the fun out of gigging.
My new rig is a Markbass LM2 and 2 Flite neo 15" cabs and I am absolutely delighted with it.
But I went through quite a few amps and cabs before finding what suited me.
The LM2 is superb with 500 watts of clean and smooth power that fits in a laptop bag, while the Flite cabs are even lighter than the barefaced ones, but hard to find in the UK and the barefaced compact is very well respected.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=105913&hl="]This[/url] looks interesting.

Now all I want is a lightweight jazz bass to replace my heavy old one...............

Edited by redstriper

[quote name='PVTele' post='1076838' date='Jan 3 2011, 09:52 PM']Trouble with these Barefaced cabs is you can't go and try them out with different amps.[/quote]

How do you mean, Mike? Is it simply that by buying from Barefaced direct (only way) you don't have the 'luxury' of trying out different rigs in a normal shop / studio environment? Just want to be clear that's the only reason.

Cheers. Bob

[quote name='PVTele' post='1076710' date='Jan 3 2011, 08:02 PM']....considering a Barefaced Compact, and wondering what I should drive it with. I want a pretty old-school sound....[/quote]
I'd also look at Markbass amps. They work well with Barefaced cabs and can give you a very "old school" sound, and they're light.