Why become a member? ×

Not looking forward to gigs...

dbass

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd get a discussion going on the above topic as just lately the drummer from my tribute band has been driving me insane! He is also my best friend and even though this has never harmed that, it bugs the hell out of me!

Nearly every gig he spouts the same "urgh not looking forward to the gig" even if it's at a great venue or with a big crowd guaranteed. He's the most lethargic drummer ever :)

I am weird for looking forward to playing every gig?! (Around 50/60 a year)

Do any of you not look forward to playing gigs?

Edited by dbass

All the time.
I love playing,but there are certainly times when I'm sitting at home and can't be arsed. Of course,that usually changes once I get on the road.
Sometimes I'll be at a gig and there is a vibe in the room,and nobody is looking forward to playing,but once you're on stage the whole atmosphere in the room changes and it becomes great....and vice versa.

[quote name='dbass' post='1054691' date='Dec 11 2010, 09:13 AM']Hey guys,

Just thought I'd get a discussion going on the above topic as just lately the drummer from my tribute band has been driving me insane! He is also my best friend and even though this has never harmed that, it bugs the hell out of me!

Nearly every gig he spouts the same "urgh not looking forward to the gig" even if it's at a great venue or with a big crowd guaranteed. He's the most lethargic drummer ever :)

Do any of you not look forward to playing gigs?[/quote]

I guess its just nerves dude, get him to work on his power breathing.........

Agree on the once you get on stage part for sure. That normally changes everyone! (Unless it goes tits up ofc)

I'm not sure why I'm never not looking forward to a gig though??? I guess at times I've thought I'm too tired but just never not wanted to play.

[quote name='dan670844' post='1054704' date='Dec 11 2010, 09:33 AM']I guess its just nerves dude, get him to work on his power breathing.........[/quote]

Nah, we've gigged together for over 10 years since we were 16 so I don't think it's the nerves. He's just a generally lazy person so I think this creeps into his attitude regarding gigs. BLOODY DRUMMERS!

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1054767' date='Dec 11 2010, 10:32 AM']For me it's not the playing, but for certain gigs its the driving / parking / gear loading which I don't look forward to if it's extra hassle.[/quote]

Seconded. A couple of gigs to 4 people on a week night which you've spent 2 hours driving to can really put me in a crapmood for gigs as well. I've actually started pulling out of gigs if it hasn't been properly promoted and there is just a soundman/promoter/bar staff there when we are a few hours due on stage.

Is that Billy? haha, bless him.

I sometimes don't look forwards to playing. I always want to feel like the band's getting something from the gig, if only 3 people have shown up and they're just looking bored, I don't feel like I'll have fun. The important thing is what happens when you're on stage. One of those 3 people could be a A&R man for a record label, or even just own another venue that you might get gigs from. If you start jumping about by a loon, even if no one else gets in to it, you can laugh at how silly you probably look and have a good time anyway.

[quote name='Jigster' post='1054783' date='Dec 11 2010, 10:47 AM']I always look forward to the gigs cos right now they're pretty few and far between with LIFE getting in the way[/quote]

+1 to this.

Maybe I'd feel the same if I was gigging 60 times a year, but seeing as I average about 12 gigs a year I look forward to each and every one of them.

@Thom

Yeh!!! It's Bill mate :) The lazy git.

I've had all the same experiences with soundman/other band just being there and whilst sometimes it can get me down, I've always enjoyed it somehow. I must be one of the only people who enjoys the travelling side to it?

Apart from one time...Played gig in Scarborough, forgot my amp head and drove back to Nottingham. That day I had a gig in Paignton so had to drive back up to Scarborough at like 9am, then straight down to Paignton. That's probably the only time I've really gone "URGH".

We're out tonight for the first time since April (due to "life" getting in the way for other band members :) ) - and yes, I am looking forward to it!

However when we're gigging regularly, as this band has for most of the last 10 years, I often can't be arsed with it & it can bug me all day on a gig day. Once I'm up there playing though, I love it. For me it's just a matter of keeping that in mind when I start getting hacked off about it.

On reflection I have been pretty depressed for the last few months and I know bloody well it's largely because I've not been out playing.

Jon.

I find if I`m gigging on a Saturday eve, throughout the day I have the "comfortable factor" of wanting to stay on the sofa in front of the tv, and thinking that I`m not lokking forward to the gig. However as soon as I get my lazyass into gear, and start loading the car, I`m really looking forward to it.

Never happens on Friday eve gigs, as work keeps me occupied, just the Saturday ones (we only gig at weekends). The Sunday lunchtime gigs for some reason I find myself really looking forward to, probably as they are a bit of a novelty, as have only ever done these with my current band.

We gig once or twice a week, sometimes it really does feel like work and I get that "cant be arsed" feeling, this is usually a few hours before I have to leave.

Echoing what Doddy is saying really, it changes once i'm on my way. Maybe a break is what your drummer needs.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1054767' date='Dec 11 2010, 10:32 AM']For me it's not the playing, but for certain gigs its the driving / parking / gear loading which I don't look forward to if it's extra hassle.[/quote]

This is almost my thinking but I'm a bit more extreme.
I personally love writing, rehearsing & recording in the band environment but aren't a fan of the gigging side of things. I have done loads of gigs all over the place and get into them at the time but am not a fan and find it stressful if I'm honest.

TBH, most of the gigs I did with my punk band over 2010 were rubbish - the same hassles mentioned above with regard to getting gear there, sound-checking, hanging around for hours etc .... and when you neither get paid, nor play to a more than a handful of people, and then get home after midnight with the alarm going off at 5.30pm for work ..... All a bit pants, really

However, the first gig with my new band Rattlin Bone was a blinder (maybe 200 people, dancing and singing etc). If my gigs are more like that in future well, blimey, I am really looking forward to them

[quote name='Clarky' post='1054865' date='Dec 11 2010, 12:20 PM']...However, the first gig with my new band Rattlin Bone was a blinder (maybe 200 people, dancing and singing etc). If my gigs are more like that in future well, blimey, I am really looking forward to them[/quote]

Maybe that's what I've missed/am missing. Never had that experience!

[quote name='dbass' post='1054691' date='Dec 11 2010, 09:13 AM']Hey guys,

Do any of you not look forward to playing gigs?[/quote]

He's probably either excited and trying not to show it (and massively overcompensating) or nervous and trying to act as though he's not (and getting it wrong!).
Everyone deals with stress in different ways - his way of dealing with it may bug you, but the way you deal with it may bug someone else.
Humans are strange things :)

I'm with your drummer on this one.... I hate doing gigs!

The last band I was in did mainly pub gigs and the others always expected me to provide the P.A (and expected me to set it up/pack it away) as well as my own gear. I also had to find, book and advertise the gigs, sort the website etc. Basically do all the work, all they wanted to do was turn up, plug in and play. I got no extra payment for all my extra work either!

The band I'm now in don't really do gigs yet (though we have one tonight) But the drummer and guitarist haven't really been in bands before and they are getting carried away with things, and to be honest, I'm getting fed up with them suggesting stuff when they have little experience.

Having said that I hate gigs, I'm not really keen on the studio either, makes me wonder why I play bass at all really! :)

Strangely just finished chatting to a guitarist Im playing the pub with tonight, both of us at some point this week had forgotten we where doing it, although that might be age :)

I find the same as playing footy, often when you cant be bothered or think it might be a non event, if often turns out to be a great event

Just as the big ones you look forward to can sometimes not turn out so great

The OP though, I believe is commenting on the drummer who always feels like this with regular gigs, so either he is a very negative talking person anyway, or he needs to take a break or find a musical situation that inspires him

I look forward to them all, but there's also the aural wallpaper factor: if we're just background -- for an opening or some kind of fundraiser -- it's like a rehearsal, and that's okay, but if they're listening, in a concert setting, the feeling is completely different. We don't get that many gigs because LIFE mostly gets in everyone's way. It's a shame. Playing is more fun than LIFE.

[quote name='lojo' post='1054913' date='Dec 11 2010, 12:54 PM']The OP though, I believe is commenting on the drummer who always feels like this with regular gigs, so either he is a very negative talking person anyway, or he needs to take a break or find a musical situation that inspires him[/quote]

He's not negative just very laid back and "lazy" which sometimes annoys the crap out of me but he's my mate so I tell him to shut up and get on with it! It's so much of a big rant about him but just wanted to get feedback on what others feel about it???

A fellow drummer friend of his once said "Bill, your the most un-enthusiastic drummer I've ever met".

The thing is, he's a fantastic drummer and we are stupidly tight together!!!!

*brain melts*

Really interesting hearing everyones' experiences though :-D