Why become a member? ×

BIG UP YERSELF !!

xilddx

I'll bite.

As a musician, at best, I'm average. However I consider myself to be a pretty good songwriter/composer/arranger, which IMO is a far more useful (and potentially more lucrative) skill. As musicians the vast majority of us are completely replaceable. For me, memorable songs are what last and what identify musical skills.

One test of a songwriter is when musicians other than the band they play in want to play their songs. I'm proud to say that's happened to me twice, and although both were "blink and you'll miss them" and neither cover is likely to earn me anything more than the cost of a pint (if that!) in performance royalties, the fact that it's happened twice means that I'm definitely doing something right.

I'm the f***ing guv'nor me :)

ok, f***it, here goes.

Started playing at age 11, joined my first band at 13, my first proper band was at 17 with a big band. Guys ranging from late 50s to 80s. I had to bluff it to get in as I told the band leader I could read music so I had to go hell for leather to actually teach myself in two weeks.

Played with them for 18 months earning the mighty amount of £200 per year (well there were 15 of us) as well as with a spinoff Dixieland Jazz band and was complemented on my playing by someone who played upright in a band for the Maharaja or something in India. Constantly being told to turn down by the band leader while the other guys would turn round and quietly tell me to turn up.

Been constantly praised for my playing over the years and have the ability to learn a song in the time it takes to play it through once. I can normally begin playing it right from the start.

Discovered after a couple of years in a wedding/function band that there are only so many ways a song can progress, with the exception of swing which is all over the shop, which allows me to play live to a song that i have never heard before and have the confidence to belt it out.

Getting better all the time an constantly wanting to improve as a musician.

I am not big headed in the slightest. I enjoy playing and would be out every weekend if I could. no ego, I just love to play.

I'd also like to add that I believe that as soon as you get big headed and start to believe that you're the best, that's when you discover that there's someone better than you. You'll always find something that you think is better than you if you look hard enough.

You can never learn everything there is to know and can always improve as a musician, no matter what level your ability is

How's that? too much?

Well you did ask

Edited by Delberthot

This is really awkward. I don't think I'm particularly good; always trying to learn more songs, improve my technique, learn more theory, etc., etc. But everyone who's heard me play thinks I'm pretty damn good. However I firmly believe that the best and most honest compliments are the ones we get from other musicians, and I frequently get compliments, whether it's at an impromptu jam, or when I've been "working" with a local singer/songwriter who specifically wanted me to play on his tracks.

So, in summary, I don't think I'm as good as other people say I am, but I'm probably better than I imagine.

My head hurts.

:)

Edited by Hot Tub

I cant read music to any great standard and I don't have the flashest chops in the world, but I do consider myself to have a really good ear. I think it's just a good sense of relative pitch. I am proud of it, I must admit - it generally means I can jam with anyone and just jump in.

I'm well happy with my progress.
I can play skillfully, and when I'm *allowed* to solo, I think I do so with feel.
I'm most proud of a song I wrote in my old band. It initially started as just a little filler riff, but then I just kept working at it and I proper love it. I didn't make up the drum parts, but every single little bass and guitar part and the structure was written by me. Im so proud of it and it gives me a semi every time I listen to it.

It's called The Cider Complex and it's here:

[url="http://www.myspace.com/purenegative"]The Cider Complex[/url]

Truckstop

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='1051421' date='Dec 8 2010, 10:32 AM']So, in summary, I don't think I'm as good as other people say I am, but I'm probably better than I imagine.[/quote]
Beautifully put. It's the same for me.

I'm a jack of all trades, which makes me very useful in a wide variety of musical situations (you want bass, guitar, drums, keys, backing vocals in there... I can do it all), but I'm very much a master of none. I get by on intuitive musicality and knowledge of theory (along with perfect pitch), which means I can start coming up with ideas for a track as I'm first hearing it. By the time the songwriter's reached the end of the first run-through, I'm usually playing along, and 80% of the time that's the line I'll end up sticking with. People love that, and I'm easy to work with. I can take charge when needed, and I can STFU and go with what the bandleader/songwriter wants when that's needed.

I'd just love to have more technical fluidity on the bass, but work/family commitments mean that "shedding" currently refers to hair-loss rather than practising.

I'm a very average bassist, who can't show off / slap / solo to save my life.
However, I can fit in with a band fairly easily, and have a good ear & ability to play whats needed in most situations.
(If I can't then I don't do the gig!) I also sing BV's and the occasional lead vocals too, which helps no end I feel.
As is often true with a lot of bassists, I'm okay as a mediator / voice of reason & common sense which this mad business
often requires, so think people appreciate that too.

Most of my gigs are fairly typical functions / weddings and pubs. My proudest moment was doing a gig at the Royal Albert Hall
in 2000 (even though it was for a financial institution's big bash!). Am now in my early 50's, and just hope I can keep playing
for a good while longer, although this bloody recession is currently doing it's best to prevent this.
Cheers,Pete.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1051390' date='Dec 8 2010, 10:00 AM']There's a short (only 10 minutes!) compilation of excerpts on my band's [url="http://www.myspace.com/maya29band"]Myspace[/url]. Technically the album's not finished yet - my programming & cack-handed 6-stringery need to be replaced by a proper drummer & guitarist, and there are still some song-linking narrative/atmospheric parts to be finalised. But hell might freeze over before that happens - which appears to be the nature of relying on other people. :)

J.[/quote]

Nice, and the photo's are nowt like the one's of you on Crime Watch :)
Karl.

Ok here goes.

In terms of people on here I'd say I was an at best 'average root note' player. I can't slap and I'm rubbish at improvisation.

I am however a better live performer than player, which sort of goes someway to negate my weaknesses in playing.
I have a thick skin when playing live and will carry on regardless of what's going on around me.
I'm improving at both singing and playing.
I have good gear.
I don't act my age on stage and am fearless at making a t*at of myself.

Best I can do.

The best compliment I ever got was playing a gig one night and some bloke came up to me at the bar afterwards and said that he hadn't heard anyone play bass like that since he saw the Who at Charlton in 1976. That's the best big up I've ever had and probably will ever have.

I have had periods like everyone I'm sure when I thought I was great (and seriously wasn't) and some when I though I was awful (and wasn't).

I suppose that like everyone who doesn't do covers bands you wish that you'll always sound like you playing bass if that makes sense. I think that is all one hopes for really. I do have some mates who play in properly signed bands who moan about how indistinctive their own style is. I find that odd as it's not like they're rubbish. They seem to think that they're "bland" in some way. I've certainly never thought that about their stuff. Their thought is that their parts sound like nothing but I always sound like me. I'm not entirely sure if that point of view is valid but it's not mine.

I know I'll never get anywhere with my stuff or bands, but I accept that. That's why I can take a 5 minute solo if I want (I have done that but only either for a bet with our singer that I couldn't keep a solo going for the time it took for him to go to the bar and get a round of drinks for us or because the guitarist's amp blew up and he was changing to his backup). I feel fine with that. :)

When I was 15 I was chosen to replace the bassist in my church band without me asking for whatever reason. He's mid 30's so not ok or that. Also I consider and still consider him a great bassist and multiple talented musician. My pals say I'm good but I dunno if they're just saying that If I'm in a guitar shop an I hear someone play the same song after I've played it and it sounds bad I feel better bout myself :) :lol:

I think I'm very average and will take anyones criticism on the chin and work to improve on the weak point (which I think I have alot of) also I've been looking for a tutor ( which I think I've got sorted for after new year)

I've just read over this and I think I failed at blowing my trumpet

Em...I rule at Pow - Larry Graham :)

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' post='1051522' date='Dec 8 2010, 11:46 AM']When I was 15 I was chosen to replace the bassist in my church band without me asking for whatever reason. He's mid 30's so not ok or that. Also I consider and still consider him a great bassist and multiple talented musician. My pals say I'm good but I dunno if they're just saying that If I'm in a guitar shop an I hear someone play the same song after I've played it and it sounds bad I feel better bout myself :lol: :D

I think I'm very average and will take anyones criticism on the chin and work to improve on the weak point (which I think I have alot of) also I've been looking for a tutor ( which I think I've got sorted for after new year)

[b]I've just read over this and I think I failed at blowing my trumpet [/b]
Em...I rule at Pow - Larry Graham :)[/quote]
A truly epic fail, please try MUCH harder! :)

Oh go on then.... *dons biggest pair of ego stilts that don't result in an instant topple*

Technically - room for improvement, but I know where I should focus. Right hand technique, adjustments to positioning for left hand and learning to play comfortably in any key/position.

Feeling - on a good day I can pull off a decent solo bit with some feeling and subtlety. I tend to go for a slower 'each note counts' approach but can do very quick runs if the song tempo is right, but most of the time don't see the point.

Not scared of playing at cross-purposes - deliberately undermining the key/mode feel by playing some less harmonic note choices. Not scared of improvising either, and as that's all the band does, it's just as well. If what I'm doing doesn't work, I'm quite happy to stop playing and just listen, as the other guys will be unphased and carry on.

I don't sound much like anyone else - some have mentioned Eberhard Weber, and whilst that's very nice, it is stretching it utterly beyond credulity. :)

*Chucks stilts away - nope, not for me*

[quote name='silddx' post='1051115' date='Dec 7 2010, 10:39 PM']Of course we are not comparing ourselves to JJ, or Flea, Mark King or Scott Thunes, but we can surely say we are proud of our bass playing to some degree at some point.[/quote]

I think this knocks the nail on the head for me. I've had a little success but I'm generally unknown (do get noticed from time to time) but I have had comments from other more famous bass players saying I'm a good bass player. In fact, I gave up bass playing when my band folded and the only reason I took it up again was because a few people on different occasions were shocked to here I was not playing anymore and I was wasting a talent by not playing. So for me, the point is, on one hand there is no doubt that JJ, Flea, Mark King etc are all superb bass players, but I am 100% sure that there are as good and if not better bass players here who are just not in the limelight. We all know that talent rarely is the reason for success these days and I am sure a lot of bass players here would be considered among the ranks of great bass players if they had the media exposure. I think we should all be proud of our achievements, despite how big or small they are as long as our goals are realistic.

I'm getting into the swing of this. I could easily turn into Alan Pardew.

After a very lengthy break I only got back into playing about 6 or 7 years ago and only co-formed the first band 4 years ago and only started gigging again in 2008.
Since then I've:

Headlined the Half Moon 7 times amongst other gigs
Played two gigs with one of the bands that were heroes of my youth
Released an album that's sold (not many though) in 12 countries
Won a Classic Rock Mag battle of the bands and been on the cover CD
Played a small festival to 2,000
Been interviewed on radio twice
Written/co written two sets worth of material for the new trio in about a year
Taught myself how to write good lyrics
Started (3 tracks in) recording the next album with a grammy winning producer/engineer
Been asked for an autograph once outside Griffin Park (this was of course the best of the lot)

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='1051562' date='Dec 8 2010, 12:14 PM']I'm getting into the swing of this. I could easily turn into Alan Pardew.

After a very lengthy break I only got back into playing about 6 or 7 years ago and only co-formed the first band 4 years ago and only started gigging again in 2008.
Since then I've:

Headlined the Half Moon 7 times amongst other gigs
Played two gigs with one of the bands that were heroes of my youth
Released an album that's sold (not many though) in 12 countries
Won a Classic Rock Mag battle of the bands and been on the cover CD
Played a small festival to 2,000
Been interviewed on radio twice
Written/co written two sets worth of material for the new trio in about a year
Taught myself how to write good lyrics
Started (3 tracks in) recording the next album with a grammy winning producer/engineer
Been asked for an autograph once outside Griffin Park (this was of course the best of the lot)[/quote]
haha! This is more like it! There has been some great stuff so far, and a few dismal failures, the humble self-deprecation creeping in :)

Lets have [b]no more humble self-deprecation [/b]in this thread, there are many others you can do that on, like the Janek Gwizdala one.

[quote name='MythSte' post='1051304' date='Dec 8 2010, 08:32 AM']I'm proud of playing at Glastonbury and T in the Park. I'm proud of playing on channel 4 twice, all by the age of 20. I'm not proud of the fact I still feel like it was the strength of the musicians I was playing with on all occasions that got me there! I suppose there is some skill in being in the right place at the right time...[/quote]

Silddx obviously had you in mind when he did the original post. You're so British!

Good on yer! If you weren't good enough to play there, then the other musicians would have dumped you. They didn't, so you're good enough. Put it on your headstone.

Balcro.