Why become a member? ×

Playing outdoors in this weather

bootleg

I have an outdoor gig this coming Wednesday, and was wondering.....am I mad? The forecast is for a mere -3 degrees C (Bristol).

Besides losing all feeling in my fingers, is my amp going to keep working, what are the risks, will condensation just blow the thing up?

What about the bass?

There's a PA, so should I just use my DI Box to minimise risk?

Or should I cancel?

[quote name='bootleg' post='1049781' date='Dec 6 2010, 08:05 PM']I have an outdoor gig this coming Wednesday, and was wondering.....am I mad? The forecast is for a mere -3 degrees C (Bristol).

Besides losing all feeling in my fingers, is my amp going to keep working, what are the risks, will condensation just blow the thing up?

What about the bass?

There's a PA, so should I just use my DI Box to minimise risk?

Or should I cancel?[/quote]

Cold on it's own won't hurt your amp (as a rule of thumb, the colder many electronic components get the better they perform).
Condensation and humidity however will.
If I was determined to do the gig then I think I'd rather risk a DI box than an amp :)

[quote name='mep' post='1049787' date='Dec 6 2010, 08:08 PM']Get another generator to power some on stage heating! The lights alone will not keep you warm.[/quote]
Checking with organisers about any heating. doesn't sound promising.
It's a community event, with choirs and so forth on before us.
Miss Bristol is on doing the prize draw after us, maybe she'll keep me warm

[quote name='icastle' post='1049793' date='Dec 6 2010, 08:12 PM']Cold on it's own won't hurt your amp (as a rule of thumb, the colder many electronic components get the better they perform).
Condensation and humidity however will.
If I was determined to do the gig then I think I'd rather risk a DI box than an amp :)[/quote]

Thanks - that's true, absolute zero or something.

Going DI.

[quote name='bootleg' post='1049781' date='Dec 6 2010, 08:05 PM']Besides losing all feeling in my fingers, is my amp going to keep working, what are the risks, will condensation just blow the thing up?[/quote]

I played one on Saturday, it was pretty good actually :-) I used the DI option.

Never mind the bass though - you'll need fingerless gloves, many layers of clothing, and a silly but warm hat!

Jennifer

[quote name='bootleg' post='1049864' date='Dec 6 2010, 08:58 PM']Great idea, I'll check it out. Does Maplins do anything?[/quote]

A few dozen cans of isopropyl alcohol (code RE71N) and a butane soldering iron (N12AR) will get you somewhere - most likely the local nick, but it'll get you somewhere :)

Make sure you have plans to deal with rain.

Is it a covered area, could the electrics get wet.

I am sure there are knowledgeable people who can give more advice than I can but wet and damp conditions don't mix well with electricity

Electrical safety is key

I use pound shop cheapo gloves (Always warm) that i have cut the end of the thumb and first finger off on one glove, so i can hold a pick and i wear them at band practice, its definately a good idea. If you dont use a pick you could always just put gloves on and play like that, i found it actually gave a nice tone which is wierd.

Liam

[quote name='endorka' post='1049877' date='Dec 6 2010, 09:07 PM']I played one on Saturday, it was pretty good actually :-) I used the DI option.

Never mind the bass though - you'll need fingerless gloves, many layers of clothing, and a silly but warm hat!

Jennifer[/quote]

I have all those, so here goes!

[quote name='bumnote' post='1049880' date='Dec 6 2010, 09:09 PM']Make sure you have plans to deal with rain.

Is it a covered area, could the electrics get wet.

I am sure there are knowledgeable people who can give more advice than I can but wet and damp conditions don't mix well with electricity

Electrical safety is key[/quote]

Checked and it is covered so that's something.

[quote name='LiamPodmore' post='1049881' date='Dec 6 2010, 09:11 PM']I use pound shop cheapo gloves (Always warm) that i have cut the end of the thumb and first finger off on one glove, so i can hold a pick and i wear them at band practice, its definately a good idea. If you dont use a pick you could always just put gloves on and play like that, i found it actually gave a nice tone which is wierd.

Liam[/quote]
Sounds a great idea. More experiments in tone!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1049886' date='Dec 6 2010, 09:17 PM']Here's a photo from a gig I did last weekend, right in the middle of the arctic madness.

It was bloody freezing. No gloves, just lots of layers. I jumped up and down on the spot to keep warm.

[/quote]
Some loyal fans there!

I doubt that condensation will be a problem during the gig as the equipment will (probably?) be coming from a warm environment into the outside cold, so any moisture in the cold air (which carries less moisture than warm air anyway) won't condense on the warm gear. Then using the gear will keep it warm and safe - providing you have full protection from any rain, as previously noted.

But, if the gear cools down to outside temperatures after the gig and you bring it into a warm humid environment then you can expect condensation. Not an immediate problem of course, but you should leave the gear to warm up and thaw out before switching it on again.

[quote name='bootleg' post='1049781' date='Dec 6 2010, 08:05 PM']....I have an outdoor gig this coming Wednesday, and was wondering.....am I mad? The forecast is for a mere -3 degrees C (Bristol).
Or should I cancel?....[/quote]
At -3 I'd be more worried about the bass than anything else.