Why become a member? ×

Classic sound-check aggravations

Clarky

We did a (snow-ravaged) gig last night and were asked to load in and soundcheck between 4-6pm even though we were not due onstage until after 10pm.

We duly did our early sound-check, which was really painful. At one point, the backing vocalist said "one-two" into the mike for at least 5 minutes while the "sound engineer" fiddled with his knobs. It took so long we only had a chance for a quick run through one song (bear in mind we were having to play along to a tape, as half the band was stuck on the South Coast, so we would have liked to polish things a little more in the s/c) before we were told we had to pack our gear away for the venue to open to joe public.

Anyways, the two bands in front of us started late (neithe rof these soundchecked) and we finally got on stage about 10.45pm having done a hell of a lot of hanging around. At this point the sound guy said "I have changed all the settings since the sound check" and we had to go through it all over again with a very bored (and small) audience in front of us. So exactly why did we get to the gig 5 hours early then?

Humbug. By the way it was the Proud Gallery in Camden ... oh and the band before us had a DB player who didn't have an amp and asked me immediately before they went on stage if I wouldn't mind him using my preamp/amp for their set :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='1045074' date='Dec 2 2010, 01:48 PM']We did a (snow-ravaged) gig last night and were asked to load in and soundcheck between 4-6pm even though we were not due onstage until after 10pm.

We duly did our early sound-check, which was really painful. At one point, the backing vocalist said "one-two" into the mike for at least 5 minutes while the "sound engineer" fiddled with his knobs. It took so long we only had a chance for a quick run through one song (bear in mind we were having to play along to a tape, as half the band was stuck on the South Coast, so we would have liked to polish things a little more in the s/c) before we were told we had to pack our gear away for the venue to open to joe public.

Anyways, the two bands in front of us started late (neithe rof these soundchecked) and we finally got on stage about 10.45pm having done a hell of a lot of hanging around. At this point the sound guy said "I have changed all the settings since the sound check" and we had to go through it all over again with a very bored (and small) audience in front of us. So exactly why did we get to the gig 5 hours early then?

Humbug. By the way it was the Proud Gallery in Camden ... oh and the band before us had a DB player who didn't have an amp and asked me immediately before they went on stage if I wouldn't mind him using my preamp/amp for their set :)[/quote]
Proud wasn't too bad when I played there with Kit, but a prima donna girl band took ages sound checking, and were pissed off (and showing it) with the engineer. In all my time, the only sound checks that the venue started on time was at the Dublin Castle, and Revenge in Brighton. And still the other bands were late. It's a joke. I hate tardiness. There are a lot of w***y bands around that think they should be treated like U2 but can't even turn up on time. And venue equipment is woefully out of date, like their engineers usually. I wish everywhere had digital desks and proper sound reinforcement.

I prefer playing decent sized festivals. Just a line check and we're away.

[quote name='silddx' post='1045091' date='Dec 2 2010, 01:56 PM']Proud wasn't too bad when I played there with Kit, but a prima donna girl band took ages sound checking, and were pissed off (and showing it) with the engineer. In all my time, the only sound checks that the venue started on time was at the Dublin Castle, and Revenge in Brighton. And still the other bands were late. It's a joke. I hate tardiness. There are a lot of w***y bands around that think they should be treated like U2 but can't even turn up on time. And venue equipment is woefully out of date, like their engineers usually. I wish everywhere had digital desks and proper sound reinforcement.

I prefer playing decent sized festivals. Just a line check and we're away.[/quote]
The promoter changed between us booking Proud and playing and the original soundman was not there last night either. I suspect you had the previous people Nigel

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1045094' date='Dec 2 2010, 01:57 PM']They're not mutually exclusive, you know! :)[/quote]

Unfortunately in the genres Ive played in recently, there has been a strange 'understanding' between bands and venues that the venue/promoter are doing YOU a favour by letting you play. Shocking really. We did get into some scrapes over this in Nottingham when the promoter was stashing about £1000 into a bag and wouldnt even throw us £20 for petrol.

Ive even seen it spreading into more commercial indie gigs....basically the bands paying to play their own gig.

Hopefully this wont continue for the rest of my life! Until it does, I always turn up when I can, I dont make special arrangements to leave work early now as its never appreciated!

Edited by Musicman20

The other thing which I find pointless is sound-checking, getting a great sound out front, only to watch a band-member (usually the lead guitarist) then fiddle about with their settings either prior, or during the gig.

May as well have soundchecked with the amp switched off, if doing that.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1045074' date='Dec 2 2010, 01:48 PM']oh and the band before us had a DB player who didn't have an amp and asked me immediately before they went on stage if I wouldn't mind him using my preamp/amp for their set :)[/quote]
On this point, to be clear (lest you all think I am a tw@t), I generally am happy to share back line but only when agreed in advance. I don't appreciate being given a fait accompli - had I said 'no', he would have been up sh*t creek. Furthermore, I had to struggle the best part of a quarter of a mile (have you tried parking in Camden?) through snow carrying my double bass and my combo to the venue. Meanwhile this young dude rocks up without the same hassle and says "Mind if I borrow you speaker [sic]?"

Yup, been there, done that.

Last gig we played, our sound check was around 7pm, and we didn't get on stage until about 11.30pm. By that time, the sound engineer was very drunk, and clearly didn't care at all about the sound. As a consequence, our mix on stage sounded rubbish - none of us could hear the lead guitar! - and as a consequence we didn't feel happy playing.

Like you say - what was the point of doing the sound check? As a consequence, we're now looking to only play gigs where we're early in the set.

I never understood this, I used to make sure the mics were working then just tell the band to play. Theres no point in doing sound individually live anyway because as soon as it's in a band situation it won't sit the same. Usually less than 10 minutes from saying go and we're ready :)

If the kit sounds good acoustic or through the backline, then I wouldn't be hanging round for some idiot who can't get his signals right. And if your kit doesn't, then why not..?

If it is your show, then you can take the time, but otherwise 15 mins tops...

[quote name='JTUK' post='1045181' date='Dec 2 2010, 03:07 PM']If the kit sounds good acoustic or through the backline, then I wouldn't be hanging round for some idiot who can't get his signals right.[/quote]
The difficulty is we are a 14-piece band normally. Last night the snow meant there were 6 of us (2 vocals, trumpet, trombone, souzaphone, DB), with no drummer or guitars. So we had to play to tapes, which means we had to do some serious sound-balancing.

In that case, I would have picked a song to start the set that any decent engr could mix on the hoof...but agree that with that amount of instruments, it would be a trial....so something easy to start off.. I assume he made sure all the signal chains worked...but it doesn't sound like you got lucky with the engr choice either....???
He has a 14 piece band to mix and forgets to nail the settings...!!!!!!!

[quote name='JTUK' post='1045199' date='Dec 2 2010, 03:21 PM']In that case, I would have picked a song to start the set that any decent engr could mix on the hoof...but agree that with that amount of instruments, it would be a trial....so something easy to start off.. I assume he made sure all the signal chains worked...but it doesn't sound like you got lucky with the engr choice either....???
He has a 14 piece band to mix and forgets to nail the settings...!!!!!!![/quote]
Nope he had 6 of us and a tape and he forgot the settings! The first band incidentally had to re-start their set after the most enormous feedback howl set in in the middle of their first song. So, yeah, we didn't get lucky with the sound engineer!

Edited by Clarky

Every single gig i've ever done, they have specified that the sound check is at least 2 hours before we play, and the sound check never ever happens on time. Even for the decent venues around here with great sound guys, they ask you to turn up at 5pm to soundcheck and the soundgy turns up at 6:30.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1045208' date='Dec 2 2010, 03:25 PM']Every single gig i've ever done, they have specified that the sound check is at least 2 hours before we play, and the sound check never ever happens on time. Even for the decent venues around here with great sound guys, they ask you to turn up at 5pm to soundcheck and the soundgy turns up at 6:30.[/quote]

The guitarist in my old band was a sound guy, a pretty good one at that.
He used to be the resident sound guy in a couple of big clubs in the west end years ago, and he told me that bands were never on time, and even if hey were they would take around 45mins + to set up so he never bothered getting to a venue until at least 45mins after the band had been told to turn up, and still he would be kept waiting.

Im not saying this is the norm, and i get hacked off as well with waiting around, but i can see the reasoning behind the sound guy getting there after the band are due.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1045241' date='Dec 2 2010, 03:46 PM']i can see the reasoning behind the sound guy getting there after the band are due.[/quote]

Yeh, me too, I don't doubt that they're forever waiting for bands. We all know what musicians are like.

I don't get annoyed with it anymore, I just turn up late. We never take longer than 15 minutes to set up though. (15 for a full kit, about 5 when we're sharing)