Why become a member? ×

Why Do You Prefer a Jazz Over a Precision?

Count Bassie

Just interested in hearing what might be chimed in, if it lines up with Why I've swapped my Precision for a Jazz. I'm happy with my decision as the Jazz feels smoother to play, sounds more effectual with my present context, and just has that more articulate, complex quality I like to hear. I love a good thud, but I am more a detail-oriented person when it comes to sound, so the Jazz makes that happen.

But if you're a Fender player and prefer the Jazz Bass, why?

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1032665' date='Nov 22 2010, 09:22 AM']I don't - I have a jazz and a few precisons, but prefer to play my mustang. It has a skinny neck like a jazz, but shorter, & has a nice chunky precision tone & doesn't have too many knobs to twiddle & confuse me.[/quote]

Interesting. I had a Squier Bronco a while back and it was a pretty good little bass.

[quote name='Count Bassie' post='1032611' date='Nov 22 2010, 01:52 PM']Just interested in hearing what might be chimed in, if it lines up with Why I've swapped my Precision for a Jazz. I'm happy with my decision as the Jazz feels smoother to play, sounds more effectual with my present context, and just has that more articulate, complex quality I like to hear. I love a good thud, but I am more a detail-oriented person when it comes to sound, so the Jazz makes that happen.

But if you're a Fender player and prefer the Jazz Bass, why?[/quote]

I'm a whuss - I can't get on with the PB neck profile :)

I have both, have owned loads...

Main Fretted is a Jazz, My Fretless is a Precision.

I think you can get a decent 'P' approximation with the neck pickup on a Jazz soloed, but you can never get the Bridge Pickup sound of a Jazz out of a Precision...if you get me?

I also have a P/J if i can't decide.

[quote name='icastle' post='1032691' date='Nov 22 2010, 09:50 AM']I'm a whuss - I can't get on with the PB neck profile :)[/quote]

But you're an upright player. ?

I have smallish hands, but can't stand the close spacing on a lot of 5-string basses- got rid of one for this reason. But the Precision isn't really that uncomfortable- I only notice it until I get into a line or a groove. But with the Jazz it's butter.

I have noticed that the bigger neck is less an issue for me than where the balance of the bass is. I always re-place the strap buttons this way:

Rear button goes up about 10" onto the back of the body.
Forward button also goes to the back of the bass, either behind the neck joint or onto the lower horn (like Colin Hodgkison...sp?... a lefty who strapped on his RH bass upside-down, using the lower horn instead of the upper).

But still, the Jazz is my neck. And I dig the sound...

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='1032699' date='Nov 22 2010, 09:57 AM']I have both, have owned loads...

Main Fretted is a Jazz, My Fretless is a Precision.

I think you can get a decent 'P' approximation with the neck pickup on a Jazz soloed, but you can never get the Bridge Pickup sound of a Jazz out of a Precision...if you get me?

I also have a P/J if i can't decide.[/quote]

I do- I like the bridge p'up solo'd as well. Woofy, but not a howler. Nice voice.

I've tried both and the precision bass has a comfier, less cramped neck and plays better chordally, I prefer the sound of a P too if it has a high output, whether using rounds or flats. I won't lie I'd love a Fender Jazz fretless but only for the bridge pickup tone and because the playing angle is different, its still worse chordally - for me anyway. A fretless precision is too much of a stretch.

[quote name='Count Bassie' post='1032700' date='Nov 22 2010, 02:58 PM']But you're an upright player. ?

I have smallish hands, but can't stand the close spacing on a lot of 5-string basses- got rid of one for this reason. But the Precision isn't really that uncomfortable- I only notice it until I get into a line or a groove. But with the Jazz it's butter.

I have noticed that the bigger neck is less an issue for me than where the balance of the bass is. I always re-place the strap buttons this way:

Rear button goes up about 10" onto the back of the body.
Forward button also goes to the back of the bass, either behind the neck joint or onto the lower horn (like Colin Hodgkison...sp?... a lefty who strapped on his RH bass upside-down, using the lower horn instead of the upper).

But still, the Jazz is my neck. And I dig the sound...[/quote]

I play both (not at the same time though 'cos that'd just be showing off!).
The WAV neck is somewhat chunkier than the PB but because it's vertical the stress on your hand and wrist is different.

I have 2 precisions and a Jazz

The Jazz is superb, but It seems i always choose the Ps for gigs, I just find the neck comfortable and I seem to relax into playing more on a P than a J

I think right now if someone offered an interesting P for my J, Id take it

I seem to settle on amp settings on my Ps easier, Im always messing when I take the J

Do we need to be [i]Fender[/i] Jazz players to comment?

I love the neck on my Lakland. It's very smooth and comfortable to play, but I think a chunk of that comes from my technique and preferences - in that I prefer to play with a Jazz pick-up at the bridge position.

Naturally, that's not something a P-bass offers - though the Charvel and and BC Rich STs offer a compromise, in having a J-bridge/P-neck set-up. The strings and sound feel much tigher at that position, offering me a promise of more control and measure in my playing.

The closest I have to a genuine P-bass is my NJ Eagle. Single split-P and the expected neck, albeit slightly slimmer as per BC Rich's wishes. It has it's uses too, but I'd gravitate to anything with the J at the bridge.

I prefer the look and feel of a Jazz, but i also like the tone from a P.

Both my Jazz and P have Jazz necks so playability is pretty even. i find i get more varied tones out of the Jazz, but fill out our sound more with a P.

I'll just take whatever im in to on the day to gigs. Its only me that notices any difference.

[quote name='alanbass1' post='1032710' date='Nov 22 2010, 03:01 PM']I don't[/quote]

+1. I love the look of a Jazz, and love the tone of the bridge pickup solo'd. But I can't get on with the neck profile at all. The neck feels far too cramped for me. I've owned four Jazzes, and sold them all!

And a Precision may sound a bit bland played on its own, but sitting in the mix, its hard to beat live.

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='simon1964' post='1032800' date='Nov 22 2010, 11:09 AM']+1. I love the look of a Jazz, and love the tone of the bridge pickup solo'd. But I can't get on with the neck profile at all. The neck feels far too cramped for me. I've owned four Jazzes, and sold them all!

And a Precision may sound a bit bland played on its own, but sitting in the mix, its hard to beat live.[/quote]

Got to agree with the live-in-mix point. The phat voice a Precision has is definitely its own... I do consider adding or replacing a pickup, maybe the bridge p'up as I hardly use it. If the bridge p'up were a big humbucker I might get more use out of it- but then I might have to use a stacked coil for the neck... already I may do a stacked coil for the neck p'up to beat the hum, since I like to just use the neck p'up- it's not always present though.

But I'd say that for me the negative of the Jazz Bass is that single-coil hum.

I also have an '83 Hamer Cruisebass, which is P/J (DiMarzios). It's lighter/smaller-bodied than the Jazz, and there's a hugely phat, deep, crushing, punchy tone. Still not a Precision though.

Edited by Count Bassie

[quote name='icastle' post='1032724' date='Nov 22 2010, 10:13 AM']I play both (not at the same time though 'cos that'd just be showing off!).
The WAV neck is somewhat chunkier than the PB but because it's vertical the stress on your hand and wrist is different.[/quote]

That's part of the reason I move my strap buttons- I can now get the bass into a more vertical position. I don't like extending my left arm with the palm facing up, it's just awkward and makes my forearm tingle...

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1032841' date='Nov 22 2010, 11:32 AM']I`m with the P-camp here.

For me, the sound of a P-Bass is the one that gets the job done in a band context.[/quote]

Depends on the band, perhaps... which is part of why I did the swap. I'm doing a lot of old-school traditional Portuguese music, and although it gets fringe-funky and has some nice grooves, it's definitely, by-and-large, not rock and roll. Some of it almost leans a little more toward an African feel for the bass playing. Curiously note-y at times. Other times it's utterly predictable! But the "more articulate" thing the Jazz offers seems to suit.

I love the P shape and don't like the Jazz. I LOVE the Jazz nut width and DETEST the Precision. Prefer the Jazz sound over the P too.

On either, except the latest American Standards, I hate the build quality and the variance in QC, the huge size, the lack of much in the way of ergonomics, and the cheesy hardware. I find the fact the bell plate on a Jazz almost never marries up with the pickguard cheap, ugly and unacceptable. They are ubiquitous, and I hate that aspect. Finally, they are way overpriced for what they are. However, find a nice one and it's probably a friend for life. I can't be arsed with all that so I play Warwick, or build my own as of late, which addresses all of the above problems and incorporates everything that was great about Leo's intentions and developed them so much further. Post Leo Fender have never had much imagination, but they probably don't want to dilute the brand.

Got both but don't play the P too much cos I'm really lazy and like to rest my thumb on the bridge pickup whilst fingering. I find I play tighter when I "finger" there as there's less movement in the strings and I prefer the punchier tone. Can't bring myself to de-face the P by putting in a thumb rest there as it would look odd. Other than that I love P basses.