Why become a member? ×

Bass Directs..."Take Away"

bubinga5

old slapper makes a good point actually, the only reason I got my Jazz on finance was because it was the only bass i've ever picked up and instantly thought "yes, this is the one for me" Over a year later I'm still happily married to her! Anyone who knows my previous gear list will vouch for the fact thats quite something! :)

[quote name='oldslapper' post='1028231' date='Nov 18 2010, 05:39 PM']Bubinga, I'm not sure if this is always a good reason to get into a credit agreement sir.
This is undoubtedly a great guitar, but it's not the only great guitar on the planet, and there will be other great guitars in a years time, or however long it may take you to save up £800 or so.
Who knows, if you did get this on credit, whether you will still have it in a years time, if you're anything like me :) .
I think there's some legal stuff about selling things that are still on HP....someone will know here.

All I'm saying is the eye can want for pretty things and can get us into all sorts of trouble. Perhaps patience is best??

As an aside, the guitar I've had for the longest is the first one I ever saved up for and bought outright.....[/quote]
Yeah your right i know..but its nice to know the option is there...just interested other opinions for those who have pulled the trigger...

then again its not like i havent got a very good Jazz bass anyway... want another 5 though.... GAS really is an illness.. joking of course...

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1028162' date='Nov 18 2010, 04:43 PM']im wondering Marks views on (for example) half way through payments, someone gets made redundant etc..?[/quote]

You have made an agreement to pay the money, end of and tough titty! I'm sure Mark is a thoroughly nice guy but he is a businessman; you bought the item you owe the money, you don't pay the money you get taken to court... simples!

There will no doubt be payment protection plans/schemes available but they don't come free.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1028256' date='Nov 18 2010, 06:05 PM']You have made an agreement to pay the money, end of and tough titty! I'm sure Mark is a thoroughly nice guy but he is a businessman; you bought the item you owe the money, you don't pay the money you get taken to court... simples![/quote]
Using insight from my industry, I would well expect that anybody supporting this scheme gets the full amount of money on the first day - it's the Arts Council who then take on the credit risk and would come after you should you default on payments.

In terms of payment protection insurance, this is actually really simple - it's fundamentally a secured loan. If you don't keep up your payments, they just come and take your instrument off you, sell it to somebody else and get their cash that way!

Hi all,

Take it away is a very user friendly scheme that is available through many music instrument shops across the UK. It does cost the retailer a small percentage, but ultimately helps you (the customer) make a purchase a little easier to manage. As always, you should make sure you have the means to pay the monthly payments, the company who processes the scheme are very easy to deal with and offer three early pay out options with no penalties.

As you all know I sell some very high end basses and I feel that the scheme helps customers reach for an instrument that would may be beyond the reaches of their current finances - rather than put it on the credit card and pay interest take it away offers you 9 months interest free credit with no penalties.

Overall it is a win, win situation, however as one poster has mentioned, if you do find yourself in trouble and not able to make a payment you should always contact the finance company and alert then your situation (and any other creditors) as they will help you where they can. And obviously, I do not condone or encourage anyone running up a debt that they cannot pay off - that is why there is a £2000 limit as this seems a reasonable amount.

If you have any further questions please PM me or call me in the shop.

Regards

Mark

I bought a very nice Mayones jazz 4 string off Mark recently using this scheme

I was going to save up some money from gigs towards such a bass but I saw the right guitar and because of the scheme I could get it straight away when I needed it and it is now paying for itself thru the gigs I use it on!

You have to take responsibility and work out if you can actually afford anything you buy on credit, but if you can (especially if you were going to save up for it anyway) why would you not take advantage of interest free credit? It's giving you free use of the money in effect and therefore daft not to...........

By the way, Mark is a great guy to deal with & really knows his stuff - even if he will disagree with virtually everything you currently do, he will make you think about things you take for granted and give you different ideas!!

Edited by peteb

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1028186' date='Nov 18 2010, 04:59 PM']Farmer does a credit check come into play? Pitfalls?... my credit rating is not the best...[/quote]

Hey Bub,

I went up to see Mark a couple of weeks ago as i desperately needed a new Amp for upcoming gigs. I was going to sell my current setup to fund it but couldnt be without an amp so I stuck the best park of 1k on the 'Take it Away' scheme.

I am sceptical about things like this because they sound too good to be true but it was absoluetely fine. Yes there is a credit check but I have had huge problems with my bank in the past (nealry cost me gettinga mortgage) but I was absolutely fine.

Its 9 months and you just pay the biggest deposit you can. I only have a few months of 80 odd pound payments to make (most covered by selling my amp) and I will have a new rig to show for it at the end. To me it just made sense, when will you ever get 9 months interest free on anything.

I used a similar scheme when I was about 18/19 to buy my dream Natural 3EQ Ray....I paid £500 off and then the rest in 6 installments, interest free.

It was no hassle, I must admit.

If you have a steady income, no probs! I figure sometimes its actually a good way round of snagging what you want. Depends how much you want it.

Alternatively, you could do what a lot of people do, and get a 12 month (or even more with Tesco) interest free credit card and manage it yourself. That's what I do....and when the card has no more interest free months, make sure its paid off then move to another. Builds your credit rating and also its a great way of being able to buy what you want if you are sensible and have a decent income.

Before I started this job, I wouldnt have done it so often, but I work hard, so I reward myself :)

can't see what the problem is..plenty will buy the same thing on a CC so you just sign up to the commitments which you will do if you have the spare monthly or you wont if you don't.

I think it is great...just can't see what I want in the shop..or rather, must have... :)

This is a great opportunity for people who have limited budget to be able to afford something generally outside of their budget. I bought an Ashdown Rig when they and this scheme first came out a couple of years ago. You can work out your budget and if it is exceeded and you cant meet the payments then don't do the scheme, its simple really....

Even places like Thwaites are doing the scheme and that makes much more pricy instruments a little more accessible to those without the large disposable income.
Yes you have the usual credit checks, but lets face it, its the norm for today even if you want a basic mobile phone that may cost you £20 or so a month.....

Its not a scam nor does it have a hidden agenda, I just think its trying to make musical gear a little more accessible to those who wouldn't normally be able to afford it, and at the same time giving the resellers the opportunity to stay in business by moving stock, so everyone's a winner really

[quote name='supabock' post='1028998' date='Nov 19 2010, 10:45 AM']Its not a scam nor does it have a hidden agenda, I just think its trying to make musical gear a little more accessible to those who wouldn't normally be able to afford it, and at the same time giving the resellers the opportunity to stay in business by moving stock, so everyone's a winner really[/quote]

Agreed.

The only problem I can see is that you may be paying something off still when the next version of it comes out haha!

Also, you probably get a better price 'haggle' if you pay the whole wedge.

Other than that, good idea! I dont see why people would think its a bad idea when people spend a fortune on a car for it to depreciate by huge amounts before youve paid it off.

I think they should rename the scheme as "Please have it now".... That said i sold my Ashdown and had the dilemma of settling up in one hit, but decided to let it run interest free as it was a smaller drain on the finances which freed up some cash to outright buy the next lot...
Lets face it as players we are all going to be "so last week" at some stage....

I've used the scheme a handful of times and even won a prize after being entered into a draw for completing the service questionairre they give you when you've paid off the loan. When the economy was better and we still got interest on savings in the bank it was a good way of making your new amp/axe just a little bit cheaper. I always negotiate the price before mentioning using the scheme and have never had any resistance from the retailer.

As with any finance scheme the golden rule is to know what you can afford and to manage your borrowing sensibly. If you lose your job or encounter any other financial problems you simply MUST contact the lender. I would much rather borrow from a government backed scheme than one of the many dodgy loan companies advertising on tv/net. If you're not confident you can handle a finance deal walk away and don't do it. Like many other topics on here it's sadly a classic case of "you can't always save people from themselves".

I recently bought my new rig from Mark and have to say that the "Take It Away" scheme was simply a bonus. I would buy from Mark any day of the week as he has heaps of knowledge and really takes the time to walk you through all the different options and then takes the time to make sure you get the most out of every bit of kit you try. Where else would you find the very best bass kit (and I mean the best - really interesting top end gear) in a store where you get looked after by a bass player and don't have to put up with 16yr guitarists shredding badly at full volume all around you.

Got my Warwick on the scheme from Mark, couldn't quite get over paying £90 and walking away with a £900 instrument :)

I fully recommend using it, there is no way i could have afforded the bass without it. And as its interest free, why not!!

Although, as it does cost the retailer a small percentage, out of curtsey i wouldn't try and haggle with the price first, fairs fair!

I got finance on a Spector years ago from Sound Control. Bass cost me £350 and 12 months interest free, all good ! However, if I hadn't have paid it up within the 12 months i'd automatically have entered into a 3 year agreement with 30% APR and the bass would have cost me nearer £700, oddly I made sure that didn't happen ! Always read the smallprint.

[quote name='Machines' post='1031562' date='Nov 21 2010, 06:16 PM']I got finance on a Spector years ago from Sound Control. Bass cost me £350 and 12 months interest free, all good ! However, if I hadn't have paid it up within the 12 months i'd automatically have entered into a 3 year agreement with 30% APR and the bass would have cost me nearer £700, oddly I made sure that didn't happen ! Always read the smallprint.[/quote]

"Take it away" is not this sort of scheme. Currys, etc offer these finance options - so no catch ;-)

Mark

PS - When are you going to come in to the shop - you must be, oh, 20 minutes away ;-D

[quote name='bartelby' post='1028195' date='Nov 18 2010, 05:06 PM']I was really tempted to get the Black 4 string Dingwall Afterburner ABZ from Mark using Take It Away, then someone on here went and bought the bass in question
:)[/quote]

Don't worry mate, the payments over 9 months would have worked out quite large...and there's still the sunburst (which is lighter).

I do not have any issues with finance - always had lots and always paid it off. I work in the ambulance service for a day job and encounter a lot of death, pain and suffering - I firmly believe life is too short to save for a rainy day. If I want something (within reason) I get it - usually on finance.

[quote name='peteb' post='1028615' date='Nov 18 2010, 10:34 PM']By the way, Mark is a great guy to deal with & really knows his stuff - even if he will disagree with virtually everything you currently do, he will make you think about things you take for granted and give you different ideas!![/quote]

Hahaha that is so, so true :)

Its also great for students. Regardless of what people say I reckon us uni students probably have at least £50 spare a month (Im fortunate enough to be working mind :) ) but the idea of dropping £4-500 on a half decent bass would be 3 or 4 months worth of living. With this scheme its much more manageable :)

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='1031919' date='Nov 21 2010, 09:20 PM']Don't worry mate, the payments over 9 months would have worked out quite large...and there's still the sunburst (which is lighter).[/quote]

£150 a month is pretty manageable, to be honest

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='1031940' date='Nov 21 2010, 09:34 PM']Hahaha that is so, so true :)[/quote]

The first (currently only, will have to change that soon) time I went in to the shop I was after a strap from my newly acquired Steve Harris P, that I was very happy with, Mark asked me what basses I had. I told him about all the old/dodgy one and then proundly mentioned the SH P.
His response was something along the lines of:

I set up this shop to show people that getting one, maybe two really good basses is much better than having a collection of average ones.

Slightly crestfallen I agreed with him... :)