Why become a member? ×

Who says you can't play funk on a Fender P...

JJTee

knowone.... i would like to think you can funk on anything with the right fingers....a P bass can be super funky..

ok not true funk...but f*** me Freddies funky..

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsnPYsHhzc4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsnPYsHhzc4[/url]

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1026385' date='Nov 16 2010, 09:12 PM']Great clip. That sounds totally live. Bernard could make any bass sound great.[/quote]

Agreed, it is so refreshing to hear the track totally live like that, with just a little less glitz and polish than usual.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1026556' date='Nov 17 2010, 12:36 AM']Funk doesn't come from your equipment![/quote]
Well said, of course it doesn't. It comes from your mind, and nowhere else.

Funk started as music to shag to, look up the word "Funk" sometime.

Therefore you could play it on a cardboard box and still be funky.

I think both Bernard Edwards & Rocco are in that league of player who always sounds intrinsically like themselves whatever bass they use.

I've seen Edwards on MusicMan, BC Rich & Fenders & Rocco's been through a few different basses and amp setups (including endorsement deals) over the years but you just know who it is when you hear them playing :)

I'm having a complete Chic fest at the moment - I have a homemade 'hits' compilation on my car iPod and playing it pretty much in rotation. Although Bernard E is great I think it's some of Nile Rodgers' guitar playing that really kills for me. The part where he comes back in on Good Times after they break it down in the middle is one of my favourite guitar moments ever, lol.

Given a huge portion of the funk classics were played on a P, I wonder who'd say it couldn't be done? Maybe someone for whom funk == slapity whack?

To me, funk is primarily a fingerstyle groove thing. Sure, Larry G and Bootsy slapped a lot, but my classic blaxploitation soundtracks* don't really have much slap in them. And the classic P-Funk tracks are fingerstyle. Since funk is 'insistent rhythms of procreation' that needs to go on for as long as it needs to go on (/BarryWhiteVoice) I find it's often better to go with an understated fingerstyle line. Often going all Rocco shits all over your groove and it sure as heck limits what the other musos can do.

*with tracks like 'Freddy's Dead,' 'Superfly,' 'Potential,' 'Troglodyte,' 'Theme from Shaft' etc

Edited by nobody's prefect

[quote name='silddx' post='1026655' date='Nov 17 2010, 11:36 AM']Well said, of course it doesn't. It comes from your mind, and nowhere else.

Funk started as music to shag to, look up the word "Funk" sometime.

Therefore you could play it on a cardboard box and still be funky.[/quote]

And up goes my post count!

Funk is indeed something within - my mate who teaches can slap circles around me and can wail scales at about twice the speed. But he can't play a funk line to save his life. Reminds me of Mark King, really. Yes, I'm saying Mark King isn't really very funky. I've not listened to a lot of Level 42 but what I've heard definitely wasn't funky. Compare to the James Brown track 'Make it Funky' where the bassist plays an Eb-E-F 3-note line for minutes on end and the funk is really happening.

[quote name='silddx' post='1026655' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:36 AM']Funk started as music to shag to, look up the word "Funk" sometime.[/quote]
[b]funky 1 |ˈfə ng kē|[/b]
[i]adjective ( funkier , funkiest ) informal
[/i]1 (of music) [b]having or using a strong dance rhythm, in particular that of funk[/b] : [i]some excellent funky beats.[/i]
• [b]modern and stylish in an unconventional or striking way[/b] : [i]she likes wearing funky clothes.[/i]
2 [b]strongly musty[/b] : [i]cooked greens make the kitchen smell really funky.[/i]

ORIGIN late 18th cent.(in the sense [smelling strong or bad] ): from funk 2 .

[b]funky 2[/b]
[i]adjective ( funkier , funkiest ) Brit., archaic or informal
[/i][b]frightened, panicky, or cowardly.[/b]

[i][b]ORIGIN mid 19th cent.: from funk.[/b][/i]

The case for my old P bass is pretty musty on the inside, so if I leave my bass in it for a while it gets quite literally infused with funk! :)

Edited by matski

[quote name='Conan' post='1026828' date='Nov 17 2010, 01:00 PM']Check out the solo from 1:48 onwards...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov2Z7LCIBqA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov2Z7LCIBqA[/url][/quote]

Love it - Who is that on bass?

I should add that I'm watching this on iPhone and the vid is very blurry, lol.

I thought it was Stanley Clarke on the original album but that doesn't sound like him to me (and I've never seen Stan the Man on a P?).

Edited by molan

[quote name='molan' post='1026831' date='Nov 17 2010, 01:08 PM']Love it - Who is that on bass?

I should add that I'm watching this on iPhone and the vid is very blurry, lol.

I thought it was Stanley Clarke on the original album but that doesn't sound like him to me (and I've never seen Stan the Man on a P?).[/quote]

It is the godlike genius of Byron Miller. Sideman with Roy Ayers, Herbie Hancock and George Duke for decades

[quote name='obi 2 kenobi' post='1026854' date='Nov 17 2010, 01:35 PM']It is the godlike genius of Byron Miller. Sideman with Roy Ayers, Herbie Hancock and George Duke for decades[/quote]

Thanks for that, he's one of those guys who I've heard of but don't really know anything about - must go and search out some of his stuff :)