Why become a member? ×

74 Jazz on Bass Direct...WOW

bubinga5

[quote name='Conan' post='994528' date='Oct 20 2010, 10:35 AM']Not quite! Boffin head on now...

Weight is not subjective. It is absolute unless either a). the mass of the bass changes or :lol:. the earth's gravitational pull changes. As I assume that neither are about to happen, then the weight is a constant.

However, the perception of weight is definitely subjective! :)[/quote]

+1! If i go to the gym enough times then suddenly 16kg feels a lot lighter than before, but it's still 16 kg and it still has a weight of 16x9.8=156.8 N or thereabouts. The gravitational pull of the earth does change ever so slightly depending on what altitude you are at and what objects are above and below you exerting their own gravitational pull but these differences in terms of the everyday are so tiny that one can consider them neglegable.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='Conan' post='994528' date='Oct 20 2010, 10:35 AM']Not quite! Boffin head on now...

Weight is not subjective. It is absolute unless either a). the mass of the bass changes or :lol:. the earth's gravitational pull changes. As I assume that neither are about to happen, then the weight is a constant.

However, the perception of weight is definitely subjective! :)

Takes off pedant's hat.

WoT, that bass looks like your colour! Not fancy it mate? :)[/quote]

Being a complete assh.....pedant, the weight will change as the gravitational pull will vary relative to the distance from the centre of the Earth. So it will weigh less at the Equator than the Poles should you be on a world tour.

I'm assuming the bass isn't radioactive, if so it will also loss wieght with time tho the rate will depend on the species half live(s) and the emmission type (alpha being faster than beta being faster than gamma).

I'll bugger iff now and let normal service be resumed.....

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='994107' date='Oct 19 2010, 09:16 PM']First of all... you need to take a breath and calm down, man. You sound like you're going to blow a gasket.[/quote]

I couldn't help notice stacker's ruffled feathers at your tweaking his post in your comment earlier on in this thread. Can I just add that you have edited a post of mine in a quote before and for someone who has no truck with internet grumpiness at all I found it was really, intensely, f**king annoying. You dig?

Nice bass Mark!

Nick

to my eyes, those grains is more like ash. alder has thiny short strips, not like these. as for what they used in which era, I got '77 jazz, it's alder/maple. pretty light. also, ash could be light too.

Edited by dr1

[quote name='Chris2112' post='994963' date='Oct 20 2010, 02:40 PM']Still, the amount of feverish interest over a 70's jazz is confusing, as I've never really been blown away by these examples and many people complained about them at the time! Still, I don't see what the fuss is over the 60's ones either so YMMV...[/quote]

I played lots of '70 jazzes, all of them were brilliant!
as for '60 jazzes, they 're super cool in every sense, plus they are worth the money, so it's lots $$$ reasons for the fuss!

[quote name='steve-soar' post='992948' date='Oct 18 2010, 11:30 PM']However, it is a bit snide mentioning CBS in the description of the bass, when it is the one thing Fender buyers will look out for.
Some may not realise the connection between pre and post CBS.[/quote]

True, but if one doesn't know the difference between pre-CBS and CBS, he/she shouldn't buy basses from those periods :-)

(And if it were in fact a pre-CBS, it would have been the bargain of the year! ;-)

What a wonderful thread, illustrating the sheer diversity of BC. From the corporate ownership of a large multi-national organisation through to the effects of gravitational fields on mass, and via brief diversions into the benefits of gym-based resistance training, the oxidation of metals, and the complete lack of logic underlying human beliefs, this thread really has it all :)

Stacker, you are indeed a brave man taking on Michael's knowledge and experience of early '70s Fenders!

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='996852' date='Oct 22 2010, 11:18 AM']What a wonderful thread, illustrating the sheer diversity of BC. From the corporate ownership of a large multi-national organisation through to the effects of gravitational fields on mass, and via brief diversions into the benefits of gym-based resistance training, the oxidation of metals, and the complete lack of logic underlying human beliefs, this thread really has it all :)

Stacker, you are indeed a brave man taking on Michael's knowledge and experience of early '70s Fenders!

C[/quote]
:)

I just read this thread, and boy, it's a funny one! So much conjecture, dodgy editing, people getting pissed off, all woods are the same weight ( :lol: f***ing hilarious that one!), "looks like ash, no it's alder", people who can't tell the difference between CBS and Pre-CBS and Post-CBS even when it's written in front of them .. the list goes on!

The fact is, being a Fender, none of the above means sh*t, until you have plugged it in and played it a few times. I often think people who buy old Fenders are [b]owned by the bass[/b], not the other way around.

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='996941' date='Oct 22 2010, 12:30 PM']I've spent days looking at this bass and I'm convinced it is made of cheese.[/quote]

I'm inclined to agree with you, but I suspect that others won't. Perhaps you should moderate your claim a little to avoid any further unpleasantness?

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='996941' date='Oct 22 2010, 12:30 PM']I've spent days looking at this bass and I'm convinced it is made of cheese.[/quote]

Oh, and if it were made of cheese, what density cheese (hope it's not that pesky Edam Fender allegedly used in '74. OK, it looks like Gouda for sure, but sometimes it's difficult to tell them apart). If it is, as I suspect, Gouda, can you confirm what it would weight at the north pole?