Why become a member? ×

74 Jazz on Bass Direct...WOW

bubinga5

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='993117' date='Oct 19 2010, 08:15 AM']You seriously think he's being underhand mentioning CBS in the ad? When the bass is clearly in the CBS timeframe?

Wow.

Where is the weight mentioned? Have I missed something?[/quote]

The weight wasn't mentioned; I just happen to have had a couple of mid '70s Jazzes pass through my hands. and they were the heaviest Fender Jazzes I'd handled. i see no reason for this one to be different, given that it's ash.

[quote name='gareth' post='993946' date='Oct 19 2010, 07:07 PM']They really do vary a lot and i do not agree that you can make assumptions about the weight of this particular bass based on the two mid-70s j basses you have had, just because they are around the same year.

Any serious buyer would want to know the weight of this specific bass before entertaining buying it.[/quote]

Or maybe even trying it first??

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='993894' date='Oct 19 2010, 06:25 PM']Fixed it for ya. :)[/quote]

Why the f*** are you editing my quotes?? Don't do that, you clown!

Furthermore, you have, by your clever little edit, demonstrated your lack of knowledge of variations in wood density. Go and study that subject before you publish any more asinine statements.

Nice try, pal!

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='Stacker' post='994032' date='Oct 19 2010, 08:11 PM']Why the f*** are you editing my quotes?? Don't do that, you clown!

Furthermore, you have, by your clever little edit, demonstrated you lack of knowledge of variations in wood density. Go and study that subjuct before you publish any more asinine statements.

Nice try, pal![/quote]
Settle down, sonny... I'm not going to steal your Smarties. It was just a gentle bit of humour.

So... all Ash Jazzes are as 'heavy as F**k'?

OK. I'll go with that if it lowers your blood pressure. :)

I have a 1974 jazz bass and it is light as a feather and the best jazz bass that I have ever played to date. I don't think you should assume that it will weight a ton just because of the year that it was built!

[quote name='Stacker' post='993888' date='Oct 19 2010, 06:20 PM']The weight wasn't mentioned; I just happen to have had a couple of mid '70s Jazzes pass through my hands. and they were the heaviest Fender Jazzes I'd handled. i see no reason for this one to be different, given that it's ash.[/quote]

[quote name='gareth' post='993946' date='Oct 19 2010, 07:07 PM']They really do vary a lot and i do not agree that you can make assumptions about the weight of this particular bass based on the two mid-70s j basses you have had, just because they are around the same year.

Any serious buyer would want to know the weight of this specific bass before entertaining buying it.[/quote]

If I had two that were heavy, why should I not be allowed to believe that a third from the same era would be around the same weight??

I agree with your second statement.

Err because I have one!!

Sure there are others on the forum who have some too.

[quote name='Stacker' post='994057' date='Oct 19 2010, 08:35 PM']If I had two that were heavy, why should I not be allowed to believe that a third from the same era would be around the same weight??

I agree with your second statement.[/quote]

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='994034' date='Oct 19 2010, 08:18 PM']Settle down, sonny... I'm not going to steal your Smarties. It was just a gentle bit of humour.

So... all Ash Jazzes are as 'heavy as F**k'?

OK. I'll go with that if it lowers your blood pressure. :)[/quote]

There you go again. Where and when did I use the word 'all'?

Those two Jazzes I had - plus the Levinson Blade made from the same wood - are the heaviest Jazzes I've had. Perhaps it's all subjective and you all think those from that era are dead light; fine, let's go with that. End of!

[quote name='Stacker' post='993888' date='Oct 19 2010, 06:20 PM']The weight wasn't mentioned; I just happen to have had a couple of mid '70s Jazzes pass through my hands. and they were the heaviest Fender Jazzes I'd handled. i see no reason for this one to be different, given that it's ash.[/quote]
The advert says it's alder not ash.

Just making the point that they made very heavy ones in that era as well as very light ones too. You can't assume anything by era only.

BTW I think you need to chill a little - if you don't like the comments to your broad generalisations then don't make them in the first instance.

[quote name='Stacker' post='994061' date='Oct 19 2010, 08:41 PM']Because you have one? Get real![/quote]

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='994076' date='Oct 19 2010, 08:51 PM']The advert says it's alder not ash.[/quote]

It does indeed. I'd reckon it's ash, though. Really. Don't think Fender made the Jazz with alder back then. Doubt it. But if that's what the ad says.

But, in any case, see post 36.

[quote name='Stacker' post='994057' date='Oct 19 2010, 08:35 PM']If I had two that were heavy, why should I not be allowed to believe that a third from the same era would be around the same weight??

I agree with your second statement.[/quote]

why would you want to believe that??

wood is a natural thing and will vary quite vastly from piece to piece depending on where in the tree it was cut from, moisture content, density etc

The year of manufacture has no baring on wood weight

some basses are heavy, some are lighter, thats nature for you :)

Hi all

This is a really nice example of a CBS 70s Jazz. I stated this to be clear about it's origins as opposed the "pre CBS" era up to 1964.

The bass is not the "boat anchor" that so many Jazzes tend to be, I would say around 9 1/2 lb, but I will weigh it tomorrow.

Regards

Mark

[quote name='Stacker' post='994084' date='Oct 19 2010, 08:59 PM']It does indeed. I'd reckon it's ash, though. Really. Don't think Fender made the Jazz with alder back then. Doubt it. But if that's what the ad says.

But, in any case, see post 36.[/quote]
Dear me... where to start?

First of all... you need to take a breath and calm down, man. You sound like you're going to blow a gasket.

Secondly: I currently own a '71 P, another '71 P's and a '71 J. All Alder. I've also owned a '73 J (alder), a '72 P (ash), a '78 J (ash) and a couple of Walnut special editions from the early 80s.

I don't like heavy basses. None of these basses have been anything other than light or medium weight, with the exception of the Walnut basses, which were - to use your words - as 'heavy as f**k'.

I have played some Northern ash basses from the 70s that were boat anchors, so I know they're out there.

Thirdly, the bass concerned looks like alder to me, but it's hard to tell.

In any event, stating as a fact that it is 'heavy as f**k' without having any of the facts makes you sound a bit silly. It might be, but until we know.... we don't know.

[quote name='Sibob' post='994215' date='Oct 19 2010, 10:50 PM']Might I point out that weight is subjective depending on ones stature!
Chill out all!
Si[/quote]

Not quite! Boffin head on now...

Weight is not subjective. It is absolute unless either a). the mass of the bass changes or :lol:. the earth's gravitational pull changes. As I assume that neither are about to happen, then the weight is a constant.

However, the perception of weight is definitely subjective! :)

Takes off pedant's hat.

WoT, that bass looks like your colour! Not fancy it mate? :)