Why become a member? ×

jazz precision, precision jazz

jonunders

Hmm, thats a good question.

The Precision was the first electric bass (though the majority of Precision users both on here and in the outside-basschat-world use the 2nd generation design P-Bass from 1957), and is wonderfully simple, however played on its own some find to not be the most pleasing of sounds (not me, I love the Precision sound). But, put it in a band, and its sound sits wonderfully in the mix, providing a full authoratative presence.

The Jazz, created after the Precision is more versatile, due to its 2 pickups, which, as they each have individual volume controls, can be used together, or seperately, or with a variety of blends. The Jazz has more finesse to its sound, and due to the versatility, is seen as a great all-rounder. It also has a slimmer neck, which many find easier to play than the Precision.

Many recordings of the best bass players seem to be on either a Precision or Jazz. For me, the Precision is King - listen to JJ Burnell from The Stranglers, Bruce Foxton from The Jam, Paul Simenon from The Clash, Steve Harris from Iron Maiden and the presence of the bass in these bands is undeniable.

Personal preference I`m afraid, but try either out, you won`t be dissapointed.

I can't add much to Lozz's detailed answer but to say both are good all rounders. They are used in soul, funk, jazz, country, indie, metal, blues etc where as some basses are more obviously genre specific (you can break the rules but I merely make the point). I too am a P-bass player, the Jazz seems to be, & I am hugely generalising here, for flashier playing or players with smaller hands.

The one bit from above I've never really got is when people say about Jazzes being easier to play. You get used to [b]any[/b] neck profile and ultimately if you are practising with one instrument you will bond with it anyway. I always feel a bit clusmsy on a Jazz but this is simply because I'm not used to them & certainly not a design fault.

Your best bet is to go into your local shop and try both. Take on board the comments made but go with the instrument YOU feel most comfortable with.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='990343' date='Oct 16 2010, 04:43 PM']....Many recordings of the best bass players seem to be on either a Precision or Jazz. For me, the Precision is King - listen to JJ Burnell from The Stranglers, Bruce Foxton from The Jam, Paul Simenon from The Clash, Steve Harris from Iron Maiden and the presence of the bass in these bands is undeniable....[/quote]
The Precision bass always gets listed as the less versatile brother of the Jazz bass, but I think the Precision bass is a very versatile instrument. Listen to most Stax, Atlantic and Motown records and compare them to the list above. That's a pretty wide range of tones.

ps, doesn't Steve Harris use [s]EMG [/s] SD pickups on his?

Edit: fixed!

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' post='990366' date='Oct 16 2010, 05:05 PM']One likely difference between the J & P is that a thin J neck may be a little less stable than a thicker P neck. It shouldn't be a problem, but might be something you notice in use.[/quote]
I have seen this before ,What do you mean less stable? Like it will break in half or tuning wise? I have P,J and MM basses and never notice a stability problem in any of them.

OT I think the Jazz is best as an all rounder and would always be in a session players armoury even if its a modern active variant by another maker but still more of a jazz than anything else.

Conclusion-The P has its own sound that is very good where the jazz has more than one very good sound. :)

[quote name='chris_b' post='990397' date='Oct 16 2010, 05:29 PM']ps, doesn't Steve Harris use EMG pickups on his?[/quote]

Seymour Duncan SPB-1s I think...
That's what's on the Sig bass anyway

Edited by bartelby

I've got both and I consider them both to be good all rounders. I use the Precision more for earthy fundamental bass lines because my P-Bass with flatwound strings occupies that sort of lower range very well, whereas the Jazz has stronger mid range presence... and I string my Jazz with roundwounds, so I've literally got the best of both worlds.

Both have been used on countless recordings, although I'm guessing in the 60's and 70's the P-Bass will have ended up on more records, James Jamerson, Carol Kaye, Chuck Rainey, Tony Levin, Duck Dunn, Louis Johnson, Bernard Edwards all conducted loads of sessions on P-Basses and their back catalogue speaks for itself!

The biggest difference between them is the sound, everything else is secondary - they both make good all rounders if you're a good all round player.
Here's what you should do:

Play each bass, (with the same strings if possible) through the same rig, whilst varying the controls on the instrument and see which sound you prefer.

If you're still in doubt, compare the P to the J with only the neck pup and see which bass speaks to your soul.

If you still don't know, get a jazz.

[quote name='redstriper' post='990414' date='Oct 16 2010, 05:53 PM'][b]The biggest difference between them is the sound, everything else is secondary[/b] - they both make good all rounders if you're a good all round player.
Here's what you should do:

Play each bass, (with the same strings if possible) through the same rig, whilst varying the controls on the instrument and see which sound you prefer.

If you're still in doubt, compare the P to the J with only the neck pup and see which bass speaks to your soul.

If you still don't know, get a jazz.[/quote]
Unless of course you put in an active circuit whereupon it levels the playing field and the biggest difference becomes the physicality of the necks. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='990467' date='Oct 16 2010, 06:31 PM']Unless of course you put in an active circuit whereupon it levels the playing field and the biggest difference becomes the physicality of the necks. :)[/quote]

Hmmmm.

Two of my P-basses have the John East P-retro fitted.

They are still indisputably Precisions. They don't suddenly start sounding different just because you have boost/cut options available.

Although if you do something mental like fitting a Nordstrand or an Aguilar pre-amp to a P-bass then who knows?

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='990478' date='Oct 16 2010, 06:43 PM']Hmmmm.

Two of my P-basses have the John East P-retro fitted.[/quote]

What are they like - does it do what it says on the tin? As easy to fit as they say?

Also, on the subject of neck differences, remember that most Precisions have a nut width of 1.625". The Jazz is 1.5". The Jazz is only very slighly different to the P in that the [i]taper[/i] is different. If you have smaller hands, and spend most of your time above the 5th fret, you're not going to notice much difference.
The Precisions that have the 1.75" nut width do feel considerably chunkier than a Jazz, but they are less common.
Then there are the oddballs, like the Squier in my sig, which is half way between the two...

Edited by Telebass

[quote name='jonunders' post='990865' date='Oct 17 2010, 08:45 AM']flat rounds round wounds, is this to a personal preference?[/quote]

For years I hardly used my Squire P, I just couldn't get on with it. Tried loads of different stings and set ups but nothing really worked. Then I realised all the strings had been rounds, so I gave flats a try. Didn't know which brand to try, but as I'm a big Steve Harris fan I thought I'd give his sig Rotos a try. The bass came alive once I'd set the action, I enjoyed playing it so much I ordered a Fender P within a couple of weeks.
I still use round wounds on my other 4 strings (except the fretless, of course) and my 5 string.

But for my P basses I doubt I'll use rounds again.

[quote name='jonunders' post='990865' date='Oct 17 2010, 08:45 AM']wow, thanks for all all of your responses, like you say, the only thing to do is to try each one and see which one sounds the best to you.
flat rounds round wounds, is this to a personal preference?[/quote]
Again thats a personal preference. For me, its roundwounds all the way, but many Precision bassists on here can`t praise flats highly enough. I think in this kindof situation, looking at what your favourite bassists use (if thats the sound you are after recreating) and then trying it. Virtually all of my favourite basists use roundwounds, with my 2 main faves using the same brand, Rotosound, so to me that was a good recommendation.

[quote name='jonunders' post='990865' date='Oct 17 2010, 08:45 AM']wow, thanks for all all of your responses, like you say, the only thing to do is to try each one and see which one sounds the best to you.
flat rounds round wounds, is this to a personal preference?[/quote]
There is certainly at least an element of personal preference in choosing strings.

It's worth remembering though that just as not all roundwounds are exactly the same so neither are all flatwounds exactly the same. You have to try them out and with flatwounds that can get expensive.

I like the feel & solidity of the Precision , the Jazz is maybe more refined & does give that nice growly sound that kicks through when playing in a band. whilst I prefer playing the P my bandmates think the Jazz is the best bass I've ever had soundwise( it's a Mex Jazz) & I've played with them( the band) for nearly 30 years - what do they know! :)
Also although I've tried flatwounds I'd agree with Lozz196 that roundwounds are the best for me - if you want a "duller" ? or warmer sound just cut back on the tone pot- simples! :lol:

Just to redress the balance, it's flatwounds all the way with me. I first realised they could be a good option back in about 1998 but didn't take the plunge until last year. I should have done it last year. Basses are generally sold with roundwounds so being a flats player is usually going to be an additional expense