Why become a member? ×

Ashbory Appreciation

goblin

I've got two, but probably only need one, so I'm thinking of keeping the blue one & selling the black one.

An Ashbory is Good for jam nights as no one asks to borrow it.

People who have never seen one often make 'fisher-price bass' jokes - until they hear it.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

Yeah I've noticed the whimp bass and toy bass jokes too, although when my 6ft 5 mate plays it, it does look a bit like a toy, but he's happy enough as he can slap on it :)

I've always like the concept of been able to go to a jam night with a lil 1 x 10 or 1x12 combo in one hand and ashbory on my back, and I've gigged with it before now as well. I just love it. I do get some funny looks buying baby powder though!

[quote name='Bilbo' post='986965' date='Oct 13 2010, 02:13 PM']Can anyone provide a discography of the important recordings that involve Ashbory basses?[/quote]

To quote Large Sounds website:

"Lovetown" by Peter Gabriel from the movie soundtrack Philadelphia: Music From The Motion Picture, with Tony Levin playing the Ashbory.

:lol:

*Oh! you said important :)

Edited by derrenleepoole

I love mine, having done loads of gigs and recordings including the last redstripe album - not 'important recordings' of course.
It's not really clever technology - just a piece of wood and some rubber bands that makes a great sound and feels nice to play once you get used to it whilst being wonderfully portable, (the 'important' players probably don't have to trudge through acres of mud to get to the stage.

I had a Wal and hated it and I also don't want to read music - ever.

Each to his own in other words.

:)

Here's a clip from one of my more important gigs:

Unfortunatley, there is no 'sound' to distinguish as such in the clip, but here's me abusing an Ashbory at a past Bass Bash, along with some other highlights of the day:

[url="http://www.myspace.com/doodonbass/videos"]http://www.myspace.com/doodonbass/videos[/url]

I think the lil fella was great! I loved it!

The one Dood is playing looks like my old one (blue Guild). It had to go...I tried to like it, but it just wasn't worth the hassle with the original friction tuners. Could make a good sound for recording, but the looks were just distracting for gigging. I'd call it an interesting distraction, at best.

I should also mention that when I got/researched the Ashbory both Alun Jones (RIP) and Nigel Thornbury were very friendly and still enthusiastic about the venture, despite its complicated history.

Dood's video reminded me of the sound as I recall it. Yeeeeeuch..!! Red striper's video is more convincing but as it is a simple riff (didn't listen to it all), it doesn't really 'test' the instruments potential (or lack thereof). I'll stay with what I have :)

Its best to treat it like a separate instrument - not as weeny bass guitar that can't do everything a bass guitar can. It isn't one and canmake sounds you can't get from any other instrument. Just as you play double bass differently to how you'd play a Precision bass, you would also play an ashbory differently. There is some immediate familiarity but most people who have a ten minute go on one and ignorantly dismiss it as unplayable or a gimmick probably do so as they think it is impossible to play with good intonation. What they don't realise is that unlike a lined fretless bass guitar you don't stop the string right on or just behind the fretline, but between the lines, more like on a fretted bass. Like reading music the more you practice, the better you get.

I love :) the sound from mine but I just can't get my head around the tiny fret spacings. Also the "feel" from the strings makes it difficult to play with any speed as compared to a normal bass. I can't get a decent slap sound out of it try as a may. Walking basslines do sound wicked though. I haven't played mine for months for the above reasons - [b]anybody want to take it off me??[/b]

I always found it difficult to get the correct intonation with them, but I can adapt eventually, until I put it down for a few months, pick it up again and I'm back to square one :)

A good way around the sticky feeling to the strings is talcum powder.

Had one. Loved it. Sold it when times were hard...

Regret it!

Would love to pick one up again, but whilst they aren't 'high priced' I don't think I'd buy one unless it was a bargain as I doubt I'd get as much use from it as I'd want to.

I agree that the frets are so tiny it does get hard to intonate, but the tone is fantastic. Run it with overdrive... My god it sounds awesome!

I have a blue one and at this point is my sole bass. I use it for a jam band in London. I go on the train, play for 4 hours, drink for 6 and manage to get home with the Ashbory. Smashing!!!

IMHO it's a bass instrument so you play bass on it. Sounds simple but how many of us slap tap play chords harmonics etc? I did. If you leave that out and play for example previously mentioned walking lines or something with a little movement the Ashbory works.

It aint going to do all music styles but it suits me and I also borrow a Precision when I need a real bass.