Why become a member? ×

Jamiroquai

Pete Academy

Funnily enough, I just checked the TV guide and saw they would be on so I'll be tuning in.
There're a couple of other acts I'll be interested to see, too (KT Tunstall, Ray LaMontagne).
The new Harry and Paul show before it at 9.30 looks like it might be a laugh. Particularly the Silver Haired Beatles! :lol: :)

[quote name='Stingray5' post='971126' date='Sep 28 2010, 08:30 PM']Funnily enough, I just checked the TV guide and saw they would be on so I'll be tuning in.
There're a couple of other acts I'll be interested to see, too (KT Tunstall, Ray LaMontagne).
The new Harry and Paul show before it at 9.30 looks like it might be a laugh. Parti

cularly the Silver Haired Beatles! :lol: :)[/quote]

I'll check that out. Cheers, mate. :)

Just watched them and must admit the new song's a bit bland, loved the re-worked Deeper underground though.
I was saying to my wife that so much stuff's been done before that it's all a bit samey. Then Everything Everything came on and it was fresh , different and exiting. I'm listening to the album "Man alive" on spotify as I type. Reminds me of a cross between It Bites and Thomas Dolby............
Really rather good :)

[quote name='morsefull' post='971228' date='Sep 28 2010, 10:57 PM']Just watched them and must admit the new song's a bit bland, loved the re-worked Deeper underground though.
I was saying to my wife that so much stuff's been done before that it's all a bit samey. Then Everything Everything came on and it was fresh , different and exiting. I'm listening to the album "Man alive" on spotify as I type. Reminds me of a cross between It Bites and Thomas Dolby............
Really rather good :)[/quote]
Yep, must admit 'Everything Everything' caught my ear, too.
The general sound of live music on the Beeb is still as naff as ever!

[quote name='Stingray5' post='971257' date='Sep 28 2010, 11:19 PM']Yep, must admit 'Everything Everything' caught my ear, too.
The general sound of live music on the Beeb is still as naff as ever![/quote]

Is that the band that sound like the Courtney Love show? I mean Hole?

[quote name='morsefull' post='971228' date='Sep 28 2010, 10:57 PM']Just watched them and must admit the new song's a bit bland, loved the re-worked Deeper underground though.
+2 on 'Everything Everything'

Great bass player and band with Jamiroquai, but I thought it was very souless as music..heightened only by the musicianship of his band.

KT Tunstall was quite good and so was Ray Lamontagne.. and there was a really fresh sounding band (American i think) who had a great bass player; played with a pick but it was really melodic and unihibited!

[quote name='morsefull' post='971228' date='Sep 28 2010, 10:57 PM']Then Everything Everything came on and it was fresh , different and exiting. I'm listening to the album "Man alive" on spotify as I type. Reminds me of a cross between It Bites and Thomas Dolby............
+1 Great bassline on that MY KZ YR BF track. Listening to it now.

[quote name='Rosh' post='971265' date='Sep 28 2010, 11:28 PM']Is that the band that sound like the Courtney Love show? I mean Hole?[/quote]
Dunno - do they!? :)

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='971267' date='Sep 28 2010, 11:32 PM']+2 on 'Everything Everything'

Great bass player and band with Jamiroquai, but I thought it was very souless as music..heightened only by the musicianship of his band.

KT Tunstall was quite good and so was Ray Lamontagne.. and there was a really fresh sounding band (American i think) who had a great bass player; played with a pick but it was really melodic and unihibited![/quote]
Have to agree re Jamiroquai. KT Tunstall seemed more comfortable and at ease when she did 'Perfect' with Jools.

[quote name='grahamd' post='971290' date='Sep 29 2010, 12:24 AM']Couldn't make out what he was playing either, was it an AC?[/quote]

I believe it was a Fender Jazz.

I thought that Jamiroquai were pretty bland to be honest. In fact I thought the whole show was pretty lame...as usual.

Disappointed with Jamiroquai and PT's bass was lost behind an over emphasised guitar (vintage Jazz BTW). Other bands were OK and their bass sounds were quite good (go P basses!). KT Tunstall always enjoyable, nice to hear Perfect again, I think she's better with that stripped back kind of thing. Ray LaMontagne was new to me, that song's changes reminded me of the Eagle's Peaceful Easy Feeling, I liked it although it would've sounded better with an upright bass.

Really rather good :lol:[/quote]

I take back my "It Bites" quote after listening to the album :)

Was good seeing LCM graduates in both Jamiroquai (horn section) and Everything Everything (the drummer) on TV. :)

Jamiroquai's set was a little disappointing (in terms of song choices), and I've got mixed feelings about the impending album, judging by what I've already heard. Here's hoping the Friday set is better.

Also, does anyone know who the guitarist for KT Tunstall was? It wasn't Charlotte Hatherly was it? CAN SHE GET ANY COOLER?!

I'm not a Jamiroquai fan, but quite liked that song from the Godzilla soundtrack. I thought the reworked version was nice and chunky, but was missing a lot of the menace of the original because the bass sound was too clean - needed some fuzz and synth. Undoubtedly a good bass player, but he looked so lifeless too.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='971527' date='Sep 29 2010, 11:24 AM']I'm not a Jamiroquai fan, but quite liked that song from the Godzilla soundtrack. I thought the reworked version was nice and chunky, but was missing a lot of the menace of the original because the bass sound was too clean - needed some fuzz and synth. Undoubtedly a good bass player, but he looked so lifeless too.[/quote]

My wife seemed quite enamoured with Paul Turner, I seem to recall her commenting along the lines of " Who's that bass player, he's a bit tasty"
I of course replied "What? Do you mean his playing?"
She smiled.
He'd better address the good looking thing soon, or he'll be out of a job :) One can't be seen to be competeing in the centre of attention stakes now can one?

Never really liked Jamiroquai before, but they were easily the best band musically on the show. Quite liked the songs, which I didn't know.

I guess if you were in your mother's womb in the 1980s, music would have sounded like Everything Everything.

I'm sure I saw someone with a Mustang ...

Edited by spinynorman

[quote name='Truckstop' post='971687' date='Sep 29 2010, 01:29 PM']Modernised 'Deeper Underground'[/quote]
For anyone that missed it (like me) I just found it online,
[url="http://pinboardblog.com/2010/09/video-jamiroquai-performs-deeper-underground-on-later-with-jools-holland/"]http://pinboardblog.com/2010/09/video-jami...-jools-holland/[/url]

edit: I should have said something about it, really... it's a good remix but I think if I was in the band I'd want to stay away from that song as it's the one everyone has heard, and they could end up being known as a bit of a one-trick pony like Roger Moore.

Edited by JoshJ