Why become a member? ×

I went out without my earplugs tonight

Delberthot

That's the sound I am hearing right now. First time since I began using them 2 or 3 years ago.

Funny thing is that when I use them, i generally only need to adjust the volume for the venue and maybe a wee tweak on the EQ but nothing mutch.

Tonight I found myself constantly turning round at every opportunity during the first half dozen songs to adjust stuff.

Well I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight - goodbye whatever frequency I can hear right now, I'll never hear thee again. :)

My sympathies, Delbert. At least you're never alone with tinnitus and it's a great tool for checking one's plugs are in properly when the tinnitus is the loudest sound. Ah, the perils of yoof. I've recently moved away from musician plugs & onto these [url="http://www.ultimateear.com/Sales/squidgy.htm"]http://www.ultimateear.com/Sales/squidgy.htm[/url] - now I have no fear of further damage :lol:

Strangely enough, when tinnitus becomes really, really bad, they give you a high-powered hearing aid to enable you to overcome it. :)

Edited by johnnylager

Bad move dude - [url="http://www.hearingprotection.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=141&Itemid=278"]these are the ones I use and they are absolutely the mutts nuts...[/url]

They are a bit pricing but the quality of the filters is simply amazing, all the clarity and quality of 'natural' sound - without any of the ear-f***ing frequencies - a very sound investment indeed.

M

The last time I "forgot" mine was a disaster and increased my tinnitus. I didn't actually forget them as I was only going out for a colleagues leaving do at the pub. However, we migrated to a very loud bar afterwards, so loud that I had to leave very shortly after arriving, unfortunately the damage was already done. :)

[quote name='chris_b' post='968099' date='Sep 26 2010, 02:02 AM']I carry my plugs in the gig bag and also several boxes of foam plugs as backup. If I leave my plugs at home I've forgotten the bass as well![/quote]

Indeed.

But what sort of volumes are you playing to blow out your ears like that...and what about the audience..?

I did the same thing the other week. Utter stupidity on my part. I'm going to buy a spare pair to keep in a different part of my kit to ensure it never happens again.
[quote]But what sort of volumes are you playing to blow out your ears like that...and what about the audience..?[/quote]
Can't speak for the original poster but in my case it's the drummer shatters my hearing. Nothing can be done about that.

Edited by stewblack

[quote name='JTUK' post='968173' date='Sep 26 2010, 10:20 AM']Indeed.

But what sort of volumes are you playing to blow out your ears like that...and what about the audience..?[/quote]

It's not just about how loud you are playing etc, it's also how long, the good thing with the quality custom made plugs is that even at low volumes they don't spoil the clarity of the sound around you, so you can and should use them at rehearsals and or low volume gigs, you never know when your drummer might hit one of 'those' rimshots that can smack you right where it hurts in your inner ear.... and I say all this from experience, my tinnitus was caused by a particularly loud small gig in a tiny bar, with a FUNK band, not some death metal combo - the acoustics in the place bounced the sound all over the place and the drummer (who's a good friend of mine as it happens) just got too loud... the ringing hasn't stopped since, although it's bearly noticable most of the time - I don't want to make it worse.

[quote name='urb' post='968158' date='Sep 26 2010, 09:45 AM']Bad move dude - [url="http://www.hearingprotection.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=141&Itemid=278"]these are the ones I use and they are absolutely the mutts nuts...[/url]

They are a bit pricing but the quality of the filters is simply amazing, all the clarity and quality of 'natural' sound - without any of the ear-f***ing frequencies - a very sound investment indeed.

M[/quote]

urb, how long does it take between ordering a set, having a mould made, and recieving them?

[quote name='JTUK' post='968173' date='Sep 26 2010, 10:20 AM']....But what sort of volumes are you playing to blow out your ears like that...and what about the audience..?....[/quote]
I play everything from acoustic to rock. Loud seems to be a subjective term. Others seem to say loud when they mean "a little bit louder". When I say loud it's [b]loud[/b]!!

The main culprits for my hearing damage have been guitarists.

[quote name='urb' post='968158' date='Sep 26 2010, 09:45 AM']Bad move dude - [url="http://www.hearingprotection.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=141&Itemid=278"]these are the ones I use and they are absolutely the mutts nuts...[/url]

M[/quote]

Why are the ones JohnnyLager linked to a bad move? Are they defective, or is it more a case of "you can't spend to0 much when it's your hearing at stake"?

The website you linked to doesn't show pricing, so can you give an idea of their costs?

Edited by RichardH

M[/quote]
How much are they?
Its time got something loke this

[quote name='Colledge' post='968268' date='Sep 26 2010, 12:57 PM']i finally got around to getting a set of earplugs. just went for the etymolic er-20's. will have their first try out later on tonight at practice. I look forward to finishing a gig without ringing ears.[/quote]
I found they took a few rehearsals to get used to but honestly it is so worth it. Please stick with them.

Thought I would offer a bit of reassurance.

It's actually a HUGE myth that the frequency you hear ringing in your ears vanishes from the spectrum of frequencies that you can hear.

What is actually happening, is that the hairs in your inner ear (that react to sound waves and help to work out frequencies before converting it to a signal and sending it to your brain) are knocked flat by the power of the air/sound waves and causes that flat ringing frequency, which is that constantly sent to your brain.

The hairs will take a little while to recover, but will soon stand back upright and start functioning properly again *edit* but any hearing damage caused as a result of not protecting your ears will be retained!

Edited by skej21

[quote name='RichardH' post='968249' date='Sep 26 2010, 11:33 AM']Why are the ones JohnnyLager linked to a bad move? Are they defective, or is it more a case of "you can't spend to0 much when it's your hearing at stake"?

The website you linked to doesn't show pricing, so can you give an idea of their costs?[/quote]

Sorry what I meant as leaving your ear plugs behind was the bad move - not JL's choice of plugs - they look absolutely fine.

Re other questions - they take about two to three weeks after moulds taken to arriving via post, and the usual price is around £160 -170 - but they really are worh it - this particular brand is the one many, many pros swear by and having used them for over four years I can vouch for their quality and effectiveness, they are really comfortable as well.

Hope that helps - sorry if my previous post was confusing

cheers

Mike

[quote name='skej21' post='968312' date='Sep 26 2010, 12:55 PM']....The hairs will take a little while to recover, but will soon stand back upright and start functioning properly again....[/quote]
If by that you mean that your hearing will recover to the level it was, you are wrong!

Your hearing will be damaged. Mostly the damage is slight and you won't notice the little by little loss until it is too late.

Please understand that no hearing damage is reversible.

[quote name='chris_b' post='968400' date='Sep 26 2010, 02:33 PM']If by that you mean that your hearing will recover to the level it was, you are wrong!

Your hearing will be damaged. Mostly the damage is slight and you won't notice the little by little loss until it is too late.

Please understand that no hearing damage is reversible.[/quote]

Oh, misunderstanding. You are right, you will retain slight hearing damage, that over time will build and result in hearing problems.

What I meant is, you won't gradually strike off each of the individual frequencies in your hearing range one at a time, like some sort of list, which is what most people think.

I totally agree that people be careful and should also add a BIG + 1 for ALWAYS using in-ear monitors or ear plugs to protect your hearing. Essential!