Why become a member? ×

Later with Jools Holland on BBC 2

yorks5stringer

[quote name='casapete' post='959198' date='Sep 17 2010, 10:29 AM']As for Mark Ronson,WTF?[/quote]
The thing that I found most strange with that performance were the random electronic drum pads that were dotted around the place, and that the other female singer was hitting. I could not tell at all what sound she was actually making! Was it lost in the mix? Or is it some weird stage theatrics that I just don't get?

*shrugs*

[quote name='woodster' post='959109' date='Sep 17 2010, 07:40 AM']According to his website, Dave's playing a Dingwall six string Prima Artist....

[url="http://www.dingwallguitars.com/products/prima-artist/"]http://www.dingwallguitars.com/products/prima-artist/[/url][/quote]
I thought while watching "what a great sound he's getting " .

Interesting array of basses on display tonight, and only one Fender among them (and then only for one song). I liked Queen Emily's stuff, great voice, good band, nice Kubicki Factor :) the Mark Ronson stuff was, how to put it politely? different... and the Klaxons? how am I supposed to respect a band that plainly can't even be arsed to tune up properly?

[quote name='Rich' post='960090' date='Sep 18 2010, 12:20 AM']Interesting array of basses on display tonight, and only one Fender among them (and then only for one song). I liked Queen Emily's stuff, great voice, good band, nice Kubicki Factor :rolleyes: the Mark Ronson stuff was, how to put it politely? different... and the Klaxons? how am I supposed to respect a band that plainly can't even be arsed to tune up properly?[/quote]
I thought the Mark ronson tune was different class all the rest was SAD !
"Use me" was TERRIBLE the bass stifled the groove and didnt allow it to breath. :)

[quote name='squire5' post='960318' date='Sep 18 2010, 12:25 PM']Did nobody notice that Jools kept calling Herb Alpert Herb ALBERT? Several times.Youda thought he could get that right![/quote]

der! even I knew it was with a P not a B. There were two great programs about Herb on BBC4 last night, only managed to record one though. The amount of great tunes he released over the years is incredible.

Talking of Jools show, I have just got the box set of Old Grey Whistle test DVDs. It has reminded me of how good a series it was and how todays shows such as Jools show pale by comparison. Wish id started taping the OGWT right from the first year we got our VHS recorder. I am gonna sign back up for Usenet and see if i can get any shows from there. A few years back i recall seeing dozens of bands and entire OGWT shows to download.

[quote name='molan' post='960840' date='Sep 18 2010, 11:31 PM']I really liked Queen Emily, great to see a, mostly, older white band laying down a great funky groove.

Really nice tone from the Kubicki / Ampeg set up too :)[/quote]

She was the only act I watched right through - fast forwarded through most of the others after a minute or two apart from Herb.

Thought she sang well but something was missing that made the band sound like an average covers band, not helped by the hi hats being lost in the mix (or maybe my hearing has finally given up).

Not sure what the Klaxons were doing, didn't sound like they were in the same band half the time let alone playing the same tune.

nice to see Ronson has got a new haircut, new band and doing the vampire weekend/ two step/80's retro thing....not!

Nice Hellborg rig though!

Jools has hit a difficult point over the last few years as newer bands are trying out lots of different sounds - and not what the mass audience would like to hear. Its good to see bands getting some airplay - just a shame so many of them are not what I like but ultimately I'd rather watch a season of Later... (albeit on iPlayer so I can forward what I'm not digging) than not have it on TV.

Lets face it we can spotify or youtube any music we like - it's nice to be exposed to music I don't normally listen to - even if I choose to forward it.

But Phil Collins!!!!!!!!!

Well, let me say that I liked Phil Collins.. great musician and singer (wasn't too enthusiastic about the Wonder-song but it could have been worse)
I totally didn't like that Queen Emily rythmsection.. that drummer didn't have a groove and I think that if you would have put pro-tools on it every bar should have to be corrected.
"Use me" made me cringe, no laid back feel, just sloppy playing and the bass sounded ok but had no groove (the rythmsection looked the same way they played : bored).
Most of the time you see in these R 'n B bands big fat black drummers who play incredibly well and powerfull and this was just a turn-off. She deserves better.

Guys! Remember, just like the radio, if you want to have a successful show that features music, you have to dumb it down enough for the lowest common demoninator to experience it and not have their ears offended by anything outside of C, G, A min, F.

You might be able to get away with a bit either side, but it's rarely going to happen, especially now, as the mainstream seem to be plummeting into a musical portaloo.

If you want something that might actually stimulate you in any way more then a dull nausiating feeling in your stomache, don't look for it on the TV or the radio.

/I'll get my coat.

Edited by Hamsalad

I just watched the show and enjoyed. The Phil Colilns thing didn't really do it for me and I still think Boy George can't sing. But I enjoyed the Ronson thing overall, enjoyed The manics, Klaxtons and Queen Emily. Don't know much about Trumpet but herp quickly downed it when he couldn't get into Happy Birthday - and on his slot he seem ed to be having some trouble making the notes properly - but I still enjoyed it!

What was the bass the guy in Manics was playing? Looked groovy and didn't sound too bad - although a telly production is maybe not the best representation.

BTW all the above observations were enhanced by the bottle of wine I won at the gig raffle on Saturday night!!

Thought the MSP's were the best thing on the show by a mile. Someone posted earlier that they were like a rough pub band. I'm clearly going to the wrong pubs. Not a big fan of theirs but I think their latest single is their best one for ages (though the big single off the 'tigers' album was good too). Genuine anthemic stadium rock stuff, should transfer to big arena gigs no problem. Ronson has the type of face you just want to throw a punch at involuntarily I'm afraid.

Hi I am Barry Lamb and I have the privilege of being the Int’l Sales Director for Dingwall basses since 1999 and Euphonic Audio amps since 2002

Just wanted to introduce myself and say what a blast it is to see Dave Swift playing his Dingwall Prima Artist 6 on the Jools Holland show. If I can offer up any info on Dingwall basses or EA amps I am more that happy to.