Why become a member? ×

Best current bass makers

Guest jonnyj

[quote name='BigRedX' post='958026' date='Sep 16 2010, 10:28 AM']f) Isn't already massively expensive.[/quote]

Ignoring this we can conclude on:

Carl Thompson Basses - Les Claypool
Zon Basses - Michael Manring
Alembics - Stanley Clarke

Additionally, i guess Marleaux Basses have a good chance being collectibles in the future, while I don't believe Warwicks will ever be (despite those ultra custom signature handmade stuff)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='958376' date='Sep 16 2010, 02:48 PM']Warwicks, maybe, but only German made ones and only from certain periods.

I'd say that ACG fits more of the collectable criteria than Shuker (except the JJB Signature) as most ACG basses have certain defining and unique features the most notable being the filter pre-amp. Shukers have too many differences between individual basses for there to be a definitive Shuker style. Same goes for Sei - fantastic basses but they are all too different.[/quote]

However, shukers are played by atleast 2 famous people that I can think of.

Yamahas? Theres quite a few famous players out there playing them.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='958376' date='Sep 16 2010, 02:48 PM']Warwicks, maybe, but only German made ones and only from certain periods.

I'd say that ACG fits more of the collectable criteria than Shuker (except the JJB Signature) as most ACG basses have certain defining and unique features the most notable being the filter pre-amp. Shukers have too many differences between individual basses for there to be a definitive Shuker style. Same goes for Sei - fantastic basses but they are all too different.[/quote]
The thing with Shuker is that you can tell it's Shuker without even looking at the headstock - they have a crispness and vibrancy and an attention to detail all of their own. Alan's basses are more organic to look at but sound fooking amazing.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='957778' date='Sep 15 2010, 10:18 PM']It doesn't really matter since you can never hear the bass player anyway. Just get a cheap one.

Unless you want a special-sounding bass for doing YouTube play-a-long videos.[/quote]

If you buy a cheap bass no one will hear you cause they don't cut through in a band situation

I'm pleased we've had some really common sense answers here. Ultimately it comes down to tastes and without being a visionary, who's to say what will be collectable in the future. The Japanese Fenders were panned in the early days and nowadays the JV Series are highly regarded. A lot of rubbish *can* be spoken about musical equipment (often by people who haven't actually played what they are slatting) and it's pleasing that this thread hasn't (yet) descended into the can of worms predicted.

Strange then that the filter pre-amp is one of the features that makes Wal Basses so desirable...

IMO these pre-amps have more to offer the bassist since they don't simply duplicate the controls on their amp but in a less good form.

And bassists who fear them tend to be bassists who have never tried them.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='958524' date='Sep 16 2010, 04:50 PM']I'm pleased we've had some really common sense answers here. Ultimately it comes down to tastes and without being a visionary, who's to say what will be collectable in the future. The Japanese Fenders were panned in the early days and nowadays the JV Series are highly regarded. A lot of rubbish *can* be spoken about musical equipment (often by people who haven't actually played what they are slatting) and it's pleasing that this thread hasn't (yet) descended into the can of worms predicted.[/quote]
Right. It's the naughty step for you for mentioning the F word in this thread. :)

I'd possibly suggest the Alleva Coppolo basses made in NY with the Brazillian Rosewood fingerboards?

Wals made by Ian Waller and Pete Stevens are obviously in this category, I wonder if the new breed will do the same?!

Edited, because in a thick moment I misread 'current'. It's such a toughy.

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='cocco' post='958534' date='Sep 16 2010, 04:56 PM']I think bass players on the whole fear change[/quote]
Really? I'd say the opposite is true, compared to (for example) guitarists. We embrace our active circuits, fretlessness and lightweight amp gear. Anybody here play with a guitarist with an onboard preamp? Fretless guitar? Neo speakers? Chances are they're toting a Strat/Tele/Les Paul/SG, into a heavy 2x12 combo.

Sweeping generalisations there, obviously, but there's an element of truth IMO.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='958794' date='Sep 16 2010, 08:50 PM']Really? I'd say the opposite is true, compared to (for example) guitarists. We embrace our active circuits, fretlessness and lightweight amp gear. Anybody here play with a guitarist with an onboard preamp? Fretless guitar? Neo speakers? Chances are they're toting a Strat/Tele/Les Paul/SG, into a heavy 2x12 combo.

Sweeping generalisations there, obviously, but there's an element of truth IMO.[/quote]
I play all active basses through a class D amp with a NEO cab (no fretless yet) and both bands Im in the guitarists use a combination of all that stuff you listed through marshall and fender 2x12 amps! All true. :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='tom5string' post='958386' date='Sep 16 2010, 02:56 PM']Carl Thompson Basses - Les Claypool[/quote]

Carl Thompson basses are already really expensive! Very rare too, given the size of Carl's operation, apparently he makes approximately 10 a year! :)

I don't think even think Carl is making instruments now, last I hear a couple of years ago was that he was completing his order book and taking repair and refurb work on basses he had already made. They all seem to circulate in America too and I've not seen one for sale in this country for ages.

Alembics, as mentioned, will just hold their value. Some of them have been sold for "giveaway" prices but they are what they are: beautifully finished handmade instruments. There are plenty around too, which is encouraging. If I had a 4 string series I or II I'd be happy man!