Why become a member? ×

Improvisation on Bass - Completely Pointless

xilddx

[quote name='jakesbass' post='949224' date='Sep 8 2010, 10:40 AM']Sounds a little to me Nig that the only justification you seek is for your own state of understanding. I might also venture that your observations sound more like an argument raging in your head that any convicted position (I could be wrong) despite some quite convicted statements in your posts various.

My take on it is that music deftly and beautifully escapes the conditions you're trying to constrain it with, and I would cite the following as evidence. Early classical music was happily defined and along came Bach an arch improvisor, the world of Pop bass (having evolved from one of THE most improvised art forms history had known, Jazz) was plodding along in simple enough form and along came Jamerson... These are just 2 examples in the world of music that defy condition. Further, in every case and example between and there are millions, reside proponents great and small, (sticking to bass now) from a Jaco Pastorius, through a Marcus Miller, an Entwhistle ..................etc............... down to yo and I, All just trying to make the best music we know how. Sometimes that requires a bit of solid 'what I have always played' and sometimes 'a little flare'. What it doesn't (in my experience at least) generally require is a set of strict conditions to make it work (even though they CAN work) which makes for a tough definition... if you see what I mean..... or... Shut up :lol: :)[/quote]
Bugger, I was hoping you would stay out of this one :rolleyes:

[quote name='jakesbass' post='949224' date='Sep 8 2010, 10:40 AM']Sounds a little to me Nig that the only justification you seek is for your own state of understanding. I might also venture that your observations sound more like an argument raging in your head that any convicted position (I could be wrong) despite some quite convicted statements in your posts various.

My take on it is that music deftly and beautifully escapes the conditions you're trying to constrain it with, and I would cite the following as evidence. Early classical music was happily defined and along came Bach an arch improvisor, the world of Pop bass (having evolved from one of THE most improvised art forms history had known, Jazz) was plodding along in simple enough form and along came Jamerson... These are just 2 examples in the world of music that defy condition. Further, in every case and example between and there are millions, reside proponents great and small, (sticking to bass now) from a Jaco Pastorius, through a Marcus Miller, an Entwhistle ..................etc............... down to yo and I, All just trying to make the best music we know how. Sometimes that requires a bit of solid 'what I have always played' and sometimes 'a little flare'. What it doesn't (in my experience at least) generally require is a set of strict conditions to make it work (even though they CAN work) which makes for a tough definition... if you see what I mean..... or... Shut up :rolleyes: :)[/quote]

Precisely.

M

[quote name='jakesbass' post='949224' date='Sep 8 2010, 10:40 AM']Sounds a little to me Nig that ..........[/quote]

[quote name='silddx' post='949231' date='Sep 8 2010, 10:47 AM']Bugger, I was hoping you would stay out of this one :rolleyes:[/quote]

Jake's word is the LAW! :) :lol:

[quote name='silddx' post='948890' date='Sep 7 2010, 10:05 PM']So if you play in a "popular music" type band, when is a good time to improvise on stage? And what is the reason for your improvisation?[/quote]
* When the drummer starts on 3 and a half
* When there's a bit missing from the tab you copied off wowtabsbyidiots.com
* When it hurts your hand too much to play the right notes. Bollocks to that malarkey.
* When you're five pints down and halfway through a song, thinking "I hate the guitarist. Chips? Kebab? Pizza? Ooh, look at those hooters."

Edited by skankdelvar

I am also not a fan of bass players who whibble around the fret board. Keep it simple. If it ain't broke don't fix it. An old lecturer of mine had a theory that an audience member will hear the bass line they want to hear no matter what it is you play so you might aswell stick to root notes. But then again he wore a tweed jacket with elbow patches and ridiculous dahli inspired waist coats.

I can see where you are coming from.
Most of the bands I have played with where very tight and slick with little room for maneuver, and I like bands like that.
Some genres of music like jazz, rock and blues improvising is part of the makeup.
IMHO in song dependent music there should be a musical reason for improv, if it is done to impress the musicians in the audience then its back to the old is he a musician or a bass player.

Edited by ironside1966

I think the mistake being made here is that we are actually thinking people listen to us. My mum says she listens to me but I its not me she is listening to :) Come on everyone, don't forget we are bass players. Nobody listens to us or cares about us. We are the destined to be the other one :rolleyes: Lets all get back to where we belong before the universe explodes :lol: At the back, looking bored or boring, upappreciated and not very important to anything or anyone. See, that makes everything so much better :o :o :P

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='Linus27' post='949362' date='Sep 8 2010, 12:52 PM']I think the mistake being made here is that we are actually thinking people listen to us. Come on everyone, don't forget we are bass players. Nobody listens to us or cares about us. Lets all get back to where we belong. At the back, looking bored or boring, upappreciated and not very important to anything or anyone. See, that makes everything so much better :rolleyes: :lol: :o[/quote]

You're right of course. :)

But, I'm awaiting the thoughts of Tony Goggle on this subject before I make my mind up on the matter.

[quote name='ironside1966' post='949356' date='Sep 8 2010, 12:44 PM']I can see where you are coming from.
Most of the bands I have played with where very tight and slick with little room for maneuver, and I like bands like that.
Some genres of music like jazz, rock and blues improvising is part of the makeup.
IMHO in song dependent music there should be a musical reason for improv, if it is done to impress the musicians on the audience then its back to the old is he a musician or a bass player.[/quote]
You see clearly :)

[quote name='cocco' post='949348' date='Sep 8 2010, 12:34 PM']I am also not a fan of bass players who whibble around the fret board. Keep it simple. If it ain't broke don't fix it. An old lecturer of mine had a theory that an audience member will hear the bass line they want to hear no matter what it is you play so you might aswell stick to root notes. But then again he wore a tweed jacket with elbow patches and ridiculous dahli inspired waist coats.[/quote]
I take it your old lecturer knew not much about bass or music? I agree that most of the audience wont be able to identify the bassline, but I think they'd know something was wrong if you just played root notes for "Hit me with your rhythm stick" or anything else that was bassline driven.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='949391' date='Sep 8 2010, 01:18 PM']I take it your old lecturer knew not much about bass or music? I agree that most of the audience wont be able to identify the bassline, but I think they'd know something was wrong if you just played root notes for "Hit me with your rhythm stick" or anything else that was bassline driven.[/quote]

He was quite a successful double bass and bass sax player. I think he may have done one too many acid tabs while listening to Gong in '76. Odd fella

[quote name='silddx' post='949140' date='Sep 8 2010, 09:24 AM']And that is why blues evolved into jazz. There aren't many musicians around with a "large enough vocabulary on the instrument" who are content to continue playing 12 bar.[/quote]

There are tons of great players who regularly play 12 bars-it's the bread and butter. But improvising underneath a soloist does not mean it moves into a jazz direction. A good player will still keep the feel of the tune while still being able to react to the music that is going on around them.

[quote name='Doddy' post='949420' date='Sep 8 2010, 01:44 PM']There are tons of great players who regularly play 12 bars-it's the bread and butter. But improvising underneath a soloist does not mean it moves into a jazz direction. A good player will still keep the feel of the tune while still being able to react to the music that is going on around them.[/quote]

+1. Improvisation can also be subtle, within the parameters of keeping a song nailed, and tasteful. It takes both understanding and restraint, but the audience will feel it, whether they know what it is or not.

It's not automatically Jazz Odyssey just because it isn't set in stone

Until my line is committed to muscle memory or I'm completely au fait with the structure and key/changes involved in a song I tend to find myself "improvising" quite a lot!

I do think there's a distinction though between improvising (trying to do something different with I piece I know) and improvising (trying to do something that fits a piece I don't) - they're two different skills.

Edited by bigjohn

Nigel, mate, thats a load of old bunk.

I have lost count of the number of funk gigs I've done where the groove was 'explored' from start to finish, occasionally brilliantly, by everyone in the band, from the beginning to the end of the song, much to the delight of a packed audience getting very sweaty to it too. Yes there was an absolutely defined structure, but from the dynamics at a macro level to the rhythmic diversity at a micro level, every instrument was jamming to some extent, including the vocals.

Improv is not jazz, jazz is not improv, do not confuse the two.

You can perfectly well improvise with a single note, just try it, one note, no octaves, and a drummer, simple groove, doesnt need to be complex, just embellish about, mix it up. Does that mean this is something we should not play on a stage in front of an audience unless we are in a 'jazz' setting. I hope not!

Music is a conversation, between not just all the musicians, but crucially between the musicians and the audience as well. If you always try and have the same conversation with your audience you will soon become boring....

Bass is the foundation of music, hence it is the foundation of that conversation, therefore it is most important that the foundation of the conversation is not boring.

The song is (to my mind) the subject of that conversation. It better not be boring either :)