Why become a member? ×

Now THIS is what a Precision should sound like..

wateroftyne

Man that's the most soulless display of studio funkery I've seen for a while.

P-Bass sounds nice, but the song was so mid-to-late 70's cheese tastic funk I was almost sick on my white linen trousers that I went and pulled out of the wardrobe on hearing it. I mean who buys this stuff?

Stevie Wonder did it, the Crusaders did it, the guys at the Philly label did it and they all did it better. Sorry, I don't wanna start a Jamiroquai hate thread, but I spent years educating kids about where Jay Kay stole all of his 'great ideas' and then sent them off to woodshed with a copy of 'Songs in the Key of Life'. I like to think that in some small way I helped the world. If it means one child swops his Jamiroquai albums for Innervisions, Songs in the Key or any of Stevies other superb early 70's albums then I've succeeded in some way.

[quote name='Jebo1' post='107556' date='Dec 21 2007, 11:49 AM']Man that's the most soulless display of studio funkery I've seen for a while.

P-Bass sounds nice, but the song was so mid-to-late 70's cheese tastic funk I was almost sick on my white linen trousers that I went and pulled out of the wardrobe on hearing it. I mean who buys this stuff?

Stevie Wonder did it, the Crusaders did it, the guys at the Philly label did it and they all did it better. Sorry, I don't wanna start a Jamiroquai hate thread, but I spent years educating kids about where Jay Kay stole all of his 'great ideas' and then sent them off to woodshed with a copy of 'Songs in the Key of Life'. I like to think that in some small way I helped the world. If it means one child swops his Jamiroquai albums for Innervisions, Songs in the Key or any of Stevies other superb early 70's albums then I've succeeded in some way.[/quote]

I'm going to start another thread about this. This could run for a while...

There are so many bands these days that get away with ripping off bands that did it so much better.

eg Oasis -> The Beatles, The Enemy -> The Jam, Kaiser Chiefs -> any nursery rhyme, to name but a few. The kids these days just have no idea and can't put two and two together.

Sorry, this has nothing to do with the original post. I do remember it being discussed before on the boards with an ensuing P/Jazz argument though. :)

[quote name='Tee' post='107564' date='Dec 21 2007, 11:58 AM']There are so many bands these days that get away with ripping off bands that did it so much better.

eg Oasis -> The Beatles, The Enemy -> The Jam, Kaiser Chiefs -> any nursery rhyme, to name but a few. The kids these days just have no idea and can't put two and two together.

Sorry, this has nothing to do with the original post. I do remember it being discussed before on the boards with an ensuing P/Jazz argument though. :)[/quote]

Oasis were at their best when they weren't showing their Beatles influence. I [i] hate [/i] Wonderwall. Morning Glory, on the other hand...

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='107745' date='Dec 21 2007, 05:02 PM']Yes, lovely sound, although I liked the original bass player better... Stuart Zender, was it? What basses did he play?[/quote]

Andrew Levy of the Brand New Heavies played on the original tracks and Stuart Zender turned up soon after. Zender played mostly Warwicks (with a couple of Yamahas also) through Trace Elliots.

[quote name='Gwilym' post='107868' date='Dec 21 2007, 09:12 PM']nice tone. shame about the song :)

i love the p-bass tone on [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qsFpZ4b47A"]this[/url]. and the bass line it pretty good too :huh:[/quote]

that is sweeeet... had to get my bass out and jam along to that groove

peace

c

Great bass line, great "P" sound (and a great player). I know there is another thread on this, but whether you like Jamoricky or not (generally I do) IMO I think its a nice change to have stuff like this in the public eye and on the radio where there is such a good groove, with the bass at the forefront and well up in the mix.

In a similar way to the different bassists who brought different things to the table for Steely Dan and Donald Fagen on the Nightfly, the different players JK has used have done the same. Stuart Zender had some great (if a bit quirky) grooves, Nick Fyffe had more of an effects / synth vibe, whereas Paul Turner (and some of the guys used on the last album) have a more precise, "polished" funk / disco thing going on.

I know JK and Stuart had a falling out of some description, but I wonder what happened to Nick?

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='107745' date='Dec 21 2007, 05:02 PM']Yes, lovely sound, although I liked the original bass player better... Stuart Zender, was it? What basses did he play?[/quote]

It was a Warwick Streamer stage 1 fretless (I think) It was for sale on ebay last year. The guy selling it was a really sad hangeron with a bad attitude. Suffice to say it didn`t sell :)

[quote name='Tee' post='107564' date='Dec 21 2007, 11:58 AM']eg Oasis -> The Beatles, The Enemy -> The Jam, Kaiser Chiefs -> any nursery rhyme, to name but a few.[/quote]
The Kaiser Chiefs have sat down with the entire collected works of Paul Weller (although I think they've discarded the Style Council era, which can be nothing but a good thing).

I thought the song was cool but I must admit I'm not a P man myself at all *shock horror*. Song reminded me of Donald Fagen a bit. Great band and tbh I couldn't care if it was a compelte cover of a 70's song it's still fun listening to it and hearing it on the radio these days, I'd swap Stevie Wonder cover group for Girls Aloud any day.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='107939' date='Dec 21 2007, 11:55 PM']Yeah great sound. I'd like to know what amp setup he's using

Aguilar[/quote]

The sound we're hearing will be the Fenders direct through either a REDDI, Ridge Farm Gas Cooker or similar very expensive boutique valve DI box - his Aguilar rig is usually just for his 'on stage' sound... It's hard to see on this footage if the cab is miked up as well, but he normally doesn't have it miked up...

Edited by 99ster

[quote name='99ster' post='109005' date='Dec 24 2007, 05:42 PM']The sound we're hearing will be the Fenders direct through either a REDDI, Ridge Farm Gas Cooker or similar very expensive boutique valve DI box - his Aguilar rig is usually just for his 'on stage' sound... It's hard to see on this footage if the cab is miked up as well, but he normally doesn't have it miked up...[/quote]
The bass will also be running through the Abbey Road studio equipment so they can tweak as much as they like. It's a great sound but maybe not quite what is coming out of the bass.