Why become a member? ×

Who actually plays vintage Fenders?

stingrayPete1977

Right then everytime anyone mentions vintage Fenders on here someone pipes up that you could never use it and if you fart near it the value halves etc etc etc.Now I suspect there are loads of us on here that use rare and vintage guitars on a regular basis regardless of what they may or may not be worth?
I play my pre EB musicman everyweek maybe 3 times a week including practicing and its a very tidy example but if it looks like a worn out old piece of crap in 20 years I will not care thats what I bought it for.I would not purposfully damage it or be careless but the odd knock will just become mojo in years to come.There are plenty of beat up pre CBS Fenders and MM for that matter that fetch good money anyway and to many would not buy old yet as new condition as thats half the reason for owning one.

Please add your thoughts on this if it includes you so next time I hear "but you could never play it" I can just link this thread :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='944806' date='Sep 3 2010, 06:17 PM']Right then everytime anyone mentions vintage Fenders on here someone pipes up that you could never use it and if you fart near it the value halves etc etc etc.Now I suspect there are loads of us on here that use rare and vintage guitars on a regular basis regardless of what they may or may not be worth?
I play my pre EB musicman everyweek maybe 3 times a week including practicing and its a very tidy example but if it looks like a worn out old piece of crap in 20 years I will not care thats what I bought it for.I would not purposfully damage it or be careless but the odd knock will just become mojo in years to come.There are plenty of beat up pre CBS Fenders and MM for that matter that fetch good money anyway and to many would not buy old yet as new condition as thats half the reason for owning one.

Please add your thoughts on this if it includes you so next time I hear "but you could never play it" I can just link this thread :)[/quote]

Well I just saw you on my '64 thread so I think you know my story Pete :rolleyes:

I have a bitsa 70s Fender Precision bass that I pieced together that is my main live bass and we've just recorded an album with my band where the majority of the songs I played were done on my 1978 Fender Precision. I also have a 1979 bass sitting out on the patio as I type covered in nitro mors that will be another main player. My amp head is a 1978 Fender Bassman too & that gets used at approximately half the gigs I do. So I think I can be added to the list.

My bitsa bass and the 1979 have probably been devalued a fair bit by being stripped but I like them like that & don't plan on reselling them. Live & let live. If people don't like a bass, don't play it. I sometimes think the anti-70s Fender brigade is a bit like a bunch of guys down the pub talking for hours about cars they've never actually driven :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='944806' date='Sep 3 2010, 06:17 PM']Right then everytime anyone mentions vintage Fenders on here someone pipes up that you could never use it and if you fart near it the value halves etc etc etc.[/quote]

Can't say i've ever known anyone to say that, or anything along the lines (not that i've looked out for it mind), there are many examples of people with gigging vintage Fenders on the forum.

Unfortunately, my main gigging bass is permanently on the road, so the only times I get to see/play it is at gigs.
So, when, on the odd occasions that we need to rehearse, I use my 73 or 74 (can't remember which year) Precision. It's a bitch to play...but gotta love the sound.

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='944856' date='Sep 3 2010, 07:07 PM']Can't say i've ever known anyone to say that, or anything along the lines (not that i've looked out for it mind), there are many examples of people with gigging vintage Fenders on the forum.[/quote]
See best bass money can buy thread for one example.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='944842' date='Sep 3 2010, 10:52 AM']I sometimes think the anti-70s Fender brigade is a bit like a bunch of guys down the pub talking for hours about cars they've never actually driven :)[/quote]
My unfriendly opinions have been formed by playing dozens of them :rolleyes:

Jimmy Earl who plays bass on the Jimmy Kimmel show regularly uses a white 1966 Jazz for the TV show.

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='945024' date='Sep 3 2010, 10:29 PM']My unfriendly opinions have been formed by playing dozens of them :)[/quote]
And undeniably there were some absolute dogs out there. However my point is that whilst there are many stating this from experience I think there are a fair few who base what they say on what they have read.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='944986' date='Sep 3 2010, 09:51 PM']Well done folks keep them coming,I can see a what is a vintage bass? Thread coming.........[/quote]
Supposed to be 25yrs. Does get a bit silly when people sell early 90s basses with "soon to be" tags. Reminds me of Arthur Daley with his "That car is nearly a classic" comments :)

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='945041' date='Sep 3 2010, 02:46 PM']And undeniably there were some absolute dogs out there. However my point is that whilst there are many stating this from experience I think there are a fair few who base what they say on what they have read.[/quote]
I agree completely. And would add many of the pre CBS or other Fender period fans have also not played one.

I've read comments like these are the greatest basses in the world and I hope to play one someday :rolleyes:

I think this applies to any bass really, most of our opinions are formed by reading and looking at pictures. With the exception of anyone who feels like arguing the point :)