Why become a member? ×

You can't beat a lightweight head... I'm afraid!

Clarky

Considering most Bass Players these days are likely to have some sort of back problem, lightweight gear is certainly a very attractive option. The quality of equipment these days is so much better for the money - so unless you really dig the bottom of the barrel, most kit is fairly worthy of the road.

OK, so I'm 63, have 5 stents in my heart, am diabetic, sarcoid & have back problems.

I have just replaced my UK redface MAG400 with a GB Shuttle 6, and, LET ME TELL YOU, I'm not complaining in the slightest.

I have a smallish cab with an Emminence 3015 in it which gives me plenty of lightweight power for small/medium gigs and a bigger 1x15 cab on big casters which I can add for bigger gigs - heavy, but easily moved.

The small cab/Shuttle combo means I can put the amp in my bass gig-bag over my shoulder & carry the cab in my hand.

SOOOOOOO much better for me than the other weighty gear.

Tone? Bags of it!! I never had a problem liking the tone from either the Ashdown or the GB. I get a lot of my tone from the bass pre-amp anyway.

Audience doesn't much care about what they hear anyway, providing they can either dance along, sing along or still be heard nattering over their pints.

May be parting with the MAG soon. We'll see.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='942296' date='Sep 1 2010, 04:10 PM']I'm not even going to gig now. I'm just going to implant subliminal memories in my virtual audience of me having played a blinder of a show with impeccable tone.

I don't need any gear anymore. Just mind control.[/quote]
Your gig in Isleworth next Saturday was a blinder :)

Ampeg......Schmampeg :)

Lightweight heads are for teh winnorz (there, I fed the troll)

Personally I like my GK head through the absurdly heavy EBS 4x10 - neatly placing my foot in [i]both[/i] camps. Maybe one day I'll have an 8x10 fridge and a roadie, but I'm happy enough with what I've got at the moment, thank-you very much, ta, g'night all.

Ian

[i]Troll-baiting since 2006[/i]

[quote name='Clarky' post='941992' date='Sep 1 2010, 01:08 PM']Well someone had to do it![/quote]

But to rag this back to reality.... are there any cheap lightweight options around - I hear a lot about MB and GB but for us mere mortals who have a couple of hundred max to spend on a top box, what would the recommendations be - Ashdown Little Giant 300? something similar?