Why become a member? ×

You can't beat a lightweight head... I'm afraid!

Clarky

[quote name='fdavidso' post='942323' date='Sep 1 2010, 04:40 PM']But to rag this back to reality.... are there any cheap lightweight options around - I hear a lot about MB and GB but for us mere mortals who have a couple of hundred max to spend on a top box, what would the recommendations be - Ashdown Little Giant 300? something similar?[/quote]

Skint? Unconcerned about being chuckled at by muppets? Buy a GK backline 600, 300w of powery goodness for less than £300.
Sounds better than my old ashdown did. And nobody has yet told me to buy a real amp since i got it.

This is not a glowing endorsement, but it is light, and it is cheap.

[quote name='fdavidso' post='942323' date='Sep 1 2010, 04:40 PM']But to rag this back to reality.... are there any cheap lightweight options around - I hear a lot about MB and GB but for us mere mortals who have a couple of hundred max to spend on a top box, what would the recommendations be - Ashdown Little Giant 300? something similar?[/quote]
Get a second-hand one on BC. Something like a used Little Mark 250 would be close to that price range and cover most small/mid sized gigs.

Get a Hartke LH500.

No its not a featherweight head, but it is reasonably light. Its a got a big transformer in there, but its a tranny amp with a good clean tube pre and has the power to knock walls over.

Oh and get it second hand....

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='942343' date='Sep 1 2010, 04:52 PM']Skint? Unconcerned about being chuckled at by muppets? Buy a GK backline 600, 300w of powery goodness for less than £300.
Sounds better than my old ashdown did. And nobody has yet told me to buy a real amp since i got it.

This is not a glowing endorsement, but it is light, and it is cheap.[/quote]

Even cheaper now you've scrawled 'Ampeg SVT' all over it. :rolleyes: :)

I have the best of both worlds - a heavy Orange valve amp (though at c.50 lb nothing like as heavy as an SVT!) and a TC450 Classic, which does a really good impersonation of a tube amp (and I doubt any audience member would be able to tell the difference). If its a small gig or practice there's no way I'm lugging the Orange along - the TC450 does the trick nicely.