Why become a member? ×

Bass Day UK 2010

Gary

I forgot to say that one thing I have to thank Victor Bailey for was talking about Bernard Edwards & playing a short run from Good Times.

After the show was over I had to drive to Brum to drop a bass off & then still had a 1.5 hour drive home. Given that it was now gone 11:00 Pm & I'd set out at 7:30 I was a little knackered.

I remembered Victor's words & called up my Chic's greatest hits (mostly 12" versions too) - blasted them all the way home at very lod volume and kept myself smiling all the way home :)

[quote name='dood' post='984767' date='Oct 11 2010, 07:38 PM']

Ere's a piccie - a bit of blatant self-promotion, but hey honoured to be stood next to a bass god and what a humble and pleasant guy.[/quote]

I'd hardly call Nigel a Bass God :)

Edited by pantherairsoft

[quote name='J.R.Bass' post='984340' date='Oct 11 2010, 12:47 PM']I spent a good 20 minutes on that Wooten, and god it was a hell of a bass. It played itself. Everything just seemed to work & sound better on it. Is it worth 6.5K, hmm i don't know but its still a insanely good bass.[/quote]

I find this really interesting, as it shows how different people's expectations can be. I struggled to play it as the action was far too high for me; couldn't even use my trusty pick on it so had to resort to fingerstyle. I always set up my basses far lower than that; my Sei 5 has an action about half as high. Literally. I wasn't mad keen to be honest. Very nice meeting Molan though who was a thoroughly nice chap (as I suspected he would be :lol: ).

My surprise stand out this year was the set neck Everson I tried; very nice indeed (although again the action was a bit high for me; something that could be levelled at every bass I saw, so I guess that's my problem :)) , and another thoroughly nice bloke. Definitely one to consider from my perspective. Alan C's ACG 5 fretless was cool too. I tried to try the sweet Daphne Blue GB 4 (I've considered one in the past), but after going back 3 times without success I gave up. :)

Was disappointed that Matt Garrison wasn't there though as had been rumoured initially. Loved the clinic chat though, especially Billy's comments.

Oh, I agree with the height comments too. I'm 6ft and felt like a midget!

Edited by 4000

Is their any Mileage in having a bass chat area, so everyone can congregate when the slapathon gets too much?

I was sat next to the lift on the ground floor, across from the TC electronic stand, i was basically checking that the two Hartke Rigs for Billy Sheehan and Stu Hamm were working, and we'd been allocated that space, so i just left my Squier for people to try the rigs.We were meant to get them signed to raffle off at some point, but we couldn't get the gold/silver pen to work. Which was a shame.

It was one of the quieter areas, until the TC rigs got cranked up to their limit.

Short of all wearing Basschat t-shirts, it's hard to gauge who is who. Red roses in lapels?

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='985004' date='Oct 11 2010, 10:53 PM']Is their any Mileage in having a bass chat area, so everyone can congregate when the slapathon gets too much?

I was sat next to the lift on the ground floor, across from the TC electronic stand, i was basically checking that the two Hartke Rigs for Billy Sheehan and Stu Hamm were working, and we'd been allocated that space, so i just left my Squier for people to try the rigs.We were meant to get them signed to raffle off at some point, but we couldn't get the gold/silver pen to work. Which was a shame.

It was one of the quieter areas, until the TC rigs got cranked up to their limit.

Short of all wearing Basschat t-shirts, it's hard to gauge who is who. Red roses in lapels?[/quote]

Holy Hell :) - I was the annoying scottish guy that wandered over a couple of times! Talked to your guitarist mate who knew nothing about the gear (he said). OK, next time I'm just going to shake EVERYBODY'S hand and ask if their on basschat!! :)

That'll work! :lol: :)

Annoying? Not at all mate, and Dave was along as he's a big Sheehan/Mr Big Fan...and he's easily the best guitarist i've met, had a custom shop Strat with him, but no amp, suppose we could of done a bit of a jam demo thing, we both had slightly tender heads as he'd been at a family do on the Saturday, and i'd had a bottle of wine a customer gave me as a thankyou on Saturday - i'd not drank for a few weeks until then, the hangovers don't change...

We thought we were going to have more gear to show and talk about/demo - We got their expecting to unpack the entire range, and to our dissapointment we only had the two rigs. Think we had crossed wires with Hartke.

To aid things our marketeer had given us a load of flyers with a GUITAR competition on them. So we realised fairly early on we weren't going to see much attention :)

Sometimes i wonder why i bother.

I had to be there to drop the prize Farida Jazz copy off, and to pack the gear up at the end. Dave left early as he didn't feel too great - too much low frequency?

I probably only spoke to about 5 people about the rigs before we sent them back stage - i wasn't really meant to be there as a demonstrator/trade stand as i say, it was just to make sure they had the gear they needed and that it all worked, which i'm sure you have figured that it did.

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='funkyspuke' post='984551' date='Oct 11 2010, 04:18 PM']I was with ChrisDaBass trying out the Alleva's & Fodera's .. we were the giddy two who couldn't stop drooling over that Fodera NYC in red! haha[/quote]
It was great to meet you and all the other BC folk ...and for those who weren't there ...here is that Lady In Red

[quote name='dood' post='984767' date='Oct 11 2010, 07:38 PM']

Ere's a piccie - a bit of blatant self-promotion, but hey honoured to be stood next to a bass god and what a humble and pleasant guy.[/quote]

I was trying to remember who the bloke on the left is. Of course he's the Rotosound guy right? That bass of Billy's is awesome, love to have a buzz on one.

[quote name='J.R.Bass' post='984669' date='Oct 11 2010, 06:06 PM']Who\'s the guy in the back of this pic with the flat cap on??

Because he\'s done the same thing at every bassday i\'ve been to.

Picked up a bass at a stand,
Plugged into an amp,
Turned it up loud,
Turned around to purposely face into the room where everyone is,
Then play really tasteless fast slap lines whilst starting at anyone who walks past.
Then after 5 minutes of that he puts the bass down,
Moves onto the next stand and does exactly the same thing.[/quote]

Err... you mean... this guy?

[url="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=100629250"]http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...deoid=100629250[/url]

" 'scuse me mate... is that as hard to play as it is to listen to??"

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='daz' post='985081' date='Oct 12 2010, 12:21 AM']I was trying to remember who the bloke on the left is. Of course he's the Rotosound guy right? That bass of Billy's is awesome, love to have a buzz on one.[/quote]

They had one on the Yamaha Stand, but it played like utter sh*te. The tone pot was loose to the point where it wasn't safe to turn it.

And when talking to a rep, i don't expect every other word to be 'f***in' the bb2024x in sunburst was covered in greasy marks, and the strings were goosed...'yeah man, the reliced thing is f***in in at the minute, these are f***in awesome'.

Yawn, walk away.

What a poor showing, they didn't even have a cloth to wipe the £2400 custom basses, the tools to make adjustments or the strings to keep them at their best.

I could see the frustration in Dave Griffiths' (my usual Yamaha contact) face.

The Yamaha stand had stiff competition from other high end manufacturers, so i expected a bit more.

End Rant.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='985087' date='Oct 12 2010, 12:29 AM']They had one on the Yamaha Stand, but it played like utter sh*te. The tone pot was loose to the point where it wasn't safe to turn it.

And when talking to a rep, i don't expect every other word to be 'f***in' the bb2024x in sunburst was covered in greasy marks, and the strings were goosed...'yeah man, the reliced thing is f***in in at the minute, these are f***in awesome'.

Yawn, walk away.

What a poor showing, they didn't even have a cloth to wipe the £2400 custom basses, the tools to make adjustments or the strings to keep them at their best.

I could see the frustration in Dave Griffiths' (my usual Yamaha contact) face.

The Yamaha stand had stiff competition from other high end manufacturers, so i expected a bit more.

End Rant.[/quote]

ahh thats a shame, the guy does not sound like a good ambassador for Yamaha, lets hope he was the floor sweeper filling in for the proper guy who was off ill or something. I have been looking up the original bass Billy talked on stage of altering himself to his own specs. [url="http://www.doctorbass.net/en/producto.asp?id=1000170475"]Here is a pic of it [/url](amonst others) lots of holes drilled in it by Billy :)

[quote name='daz' post='985094' date='Oct 12 2010, 12:37 AM']ahh thats a shame, the guy does not sound like a good ambassador for Yamaha, lets hope he was the floor sweeper filling in for the proper guy who was off ill or something. I have been looking up the original bass Billy talked on stage of altering himself to his own specs. [url="http://www.doctorbass.net/en/producto.asp?id=1000170475"]Here is a pic of it [/url](amonst others) lots of holes drilled in it by Billy :)[/quote]

I've not met him before, but they're usually a lot more on the ball than that.
The BB2024 in sunburst (without pickguard) was a lot better.

Billys website used to have a section will all the basses he's still got, which makes for entertaining reading, must be nice being able to phone up the guys at Yamaha and say 'can i get a double necked version of my bass?'

He's not everyones cup of tea, but i really enjoyed his clinic.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='985086' date='Oct 12 2010, 12:28 AM']Err... you mean... this guy?

[url="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=100629250"]http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...deoid=100629250[/url]

" 'scuse me mate... is that as hard to play as it is to listen to??"[/quote]

Thats the guy,

Same thing at every stand, and has been been the same for the past 4 bassdays.

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='985059' date='Oct 11 2010, 11:54 PM']It was great to meet you and all the other BC folk ...and for those who weren't there ...here is that Lady In Red
[/quote]

Damn, I want that lady in red so much .. it's starting to cause me cramps I want it that bad :lol:

I think I have been on the bass gear website about 8 times since Sunday :)