Why become a member? ×

Bass Day UK 2010

Gary

Hey everyone! - I had a great time yesterday! - Though I didn't *really* get that much of a chance to wander round the other stands! I demo'd on the SHuker stand all day - well - I think I spent most of the day talking about Jon's basses, more than playing them - but ot was great to have lots of people come up to give Jon's basses (including my two) a whirl.

I did spot a few familiar looking faces in the crowd. I only wish I had a big sign saying "Hi, It's Dood from Bascchat here" in the effort to be able to put some more faces to names here on the forum. I met a few of you, but..oh..well, maybe next time! Had fun up on the Rotosound stand too, but have to agree, I was 'bassed out' by the early evening as there were a couple of really.. ehem 'loud' stands nearby! - I was doing some nice dynamic pieces to show off a more subtle side to playing bass, but unfortunately, I was smothered by 'shed building' as I like to call it!

So, I didn't get to have a huge nose at other gear. but had lots of fun!

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='984451' date='Oct 11 2010, 02:19 PM']Yeah, who was that girl slapping on the Shuker stand...?[/quote]

Ahh Hannah! Yes, fellow Shuker artsist and a great player and a really nice person! - She know's her gear that's for sure. I missed her using her MIDI set up - as I was...grrrr..sat in traffic till about 1pm!!

I was on the Bass Gear Stand but 'nipped off 'to watch the Mo Foster, Stew Hamm and Victor Bailey sets, all of which I enjoyed for differing reasons.
Yes, it was quieter this year, both in terms of numbers of people attending and overall sound levesl too.
I think Stevie did a good job in providing a different set of artists to previous years, but he's always on a hiding to nothing due to the bassist's eclectic tastes....

I can't believe how many people were there yesterday that I didn't meet (or recognise)!

We definitely need to have an assigned time for a BassChat meet & greet - maybe at the bar, lol.

I was also 'working' for most of the day with Phil on the BassGear stand so didn't get a huge amount of time to wander around.

I did think there was a slightly strange feel to the GB area. Couldn't quite
put my finger on it but it felt a bit cliquey and I spotted quite a few people walk over and then away again without getting close to any of Bernie's lovely basses.

We were next to the Shuker stand and Jon seemed to be running it as a demo facility with a few fine musicians - Dood, I can't believe that was you and I didn't put two and two together when you were playing! I did catch some of Anna's midi stuff very early on, really interesting stuff.

It didn't seem as much of a slap fest as I expected but I did notice the usual phenomena of hardly anyone playing something that they'd ever use in a band environment. Everyone seemed desperate to show off their technical chops. There was a point early one when Anna and Jon's other demo player were duetting (either with some midi drums or a drum track) and it was so refreshing to hear people playing what I would describe as 'music' :)

I only got to see Victor Baily and thought he had some really interesting things to say about this sort of thing. Loved the 'money frets' tale, lol. Loved his 'tone' on a few things when he was just noodling around too, maybe more so than when he was demonstrating the Weather Report / Jaco stuff.

Shame to see how his illness is taking its toll on him though. Some form of muscular dystrophy I think :lol:

[quote name='molan' post='984505' date='Oct 11 2010, 03:19 PM']I can't believe how many people were there yesterday that I didn't meet (or recognise)!

We definitely need to have an assigned time for a BassChat meet & greet - maybe at the bar, lol.

I was also 'working' for most of the day with Phil on the BassGear stand so didn't get a huge amount of time to wander around.[/quote]

we do need a gather point :)

I was with ChrisDaBass trying out the Alleva's & Fodera's .. we were the giddy two who couldn't stop drooling over that Fodera NYC in red! haha

Re Victor Bailey, I thought he was walking very uneasily and his legs seemed to look very thin under his trousers so that explains that. It didn't seem to affect his playing: let's hope he can continue to play for as long as he can.

This is from his MySpace:

Thanks for the kind commments about my neurological problem.However words like "sad" and "worried" were used a lot .You don't have to be sad or worry about me.I just have to move around slower,and I can't run,and sometimes I need help carrying things,but I still can do pretty much everything I used to do.The most difficult thing of all is to have to ask someone to carry my bass sometimes (up steps,things like that).That's tough!!!!But I still have as good a life as I always had.My career is very good.I live very well in a beautiful gigantic loft in Brooklyn,drive a fine car,and while I'm not rich I'm far from broke.I play music I want to play with people I want to play with.I can control my own destiny,and while I'm dealing with the new music industry like everyone else,I have enough going for myself that I'm not hoping for the phone to ring to live month to month.So other than having to move more slowly and carefully I'm ok.And most importantly what I have involves no pain.I have pain sometimes because I fall frequently,and I might twist an ankle or sprain something.but generally I have no pain.My hands might get to weak to play if I get old enough but that would be in my eighties or something if I live that long.So keep my in your prayers (chants?) but don't feel bad for me.I wish every cat could live in my shoes.I have a great and comfortable musicians life!
Peace,Victor B.

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='molan' post='984505' date='Oct 11 2010, 03:19 PM']I can't believe how many people were there yesterday that I didn't meet (or recognise)!

I was also 'working' for most of the day with Phil on the BassGear stand so didn't get a huge amount of time to wander around.

I did think there was a slightly strange feel to the GB area. Couldn't quite
put my finger on it but it felt a bit cliquey and I spotted quite a few people walk over and then away again without getting close to any of Bernie's lovely basses.

We were next to the Shuker stand and Jon seemed to be running it as a demo facility with a few fine musicians - Dood, I can't believe that was you and I didn't put two and two together when you were playing! I did catch some of Anna's midi stuff very early on, really interesting stuff.

It didn't seem as much of a slap fest as I expected but I did notice the usual phenomena of hardly anyone playing something that they'd ever use in a band environment. Everyone seemed desperate to show off their technical chops. There was a point early one when Anna and Jon's other demo player were duetting (either with some midi drums or a drum track) and it was so refreshing to hear people playing what I would describe as 'music' :)

I only got to see Victor Baily and thought he had some really interesting things to say about this sort of thing. Loved the 'money frets' tale, lol. Loved his 'tone' on a few things when he was just noodling around too, maybe more so than when he was demonstrating the Weather Report / Jaco stuff.

Shame to see how his illness is taking its toll on him though. Some form of muscular dystrophy I think :lol:[/quote]

Ahhhhh Poop!!! Yes, I have to admit that prior to going to Bass Day, I didn't read through this thread properly and hence didn't take note of who would be attending and who were going to be on the various stands. DOH! That's my fault - had I have known I would have come and found you. Sorry!

[quote name='goblin' post='984544' date='Oct 11 2010, 04:10 PM']Ah was it you who I was speaking to before I had to shoot off, Molan? As soon as I walked off I'd forgotten the username of who I was speaking to - happens a lot :)[/quote]

Depends - what were you saying, lol.

Of the three on the stand I was the one with very basic square glasses and not as tall as yorks5stringer.

Just wanted to repeat what everyone's been saying about Bass Day yesterday. Great way to spend a Sunday. Had a go of many nice amps and rigs, including Dave Marks' EBS stack. (Apologies again for any bum notes if you saw it folks! :-))

Just to say it was nice to meet tayste_2000 and Dood too (Btw, I'm dead ENVIOUS of sshorepunk's Green Fender Custom Jazz and Dood's Blue Shuker. Lovely pieces of kit. Thanks for letting me have a go!)

[quote name='molan' post='984591' date='Oct 11 2010, 04:46 PM']Depends - what were you saying, lol.

Of the three on the stand I was the one with very basic square glasses and not as tall as yorks5stringer.[/quote]

I was probably rambling to be honest :) We were talking about effects at one point about how we can't see the point in them as they're a pain in the backside to use :lol: I was with ChrisDaBass and Funkyspuke drooling over the red Fodera NYC too.

[quote name='dood' post='984422' date='Oct 11 2010, 01:52 PM']I did spot a few familiar looking faces in the crowd. I only wish I had a big sign saying "Hi, It's Dood from Bascchat here" in the effort to be able to put some more faces to names here on the forum. I met a few of you, but..oh..well, maybe next time! Had fun up on the Rotosound stand too, but have to agree, I was 'bassed out' by the early evening as there were a couple of really.. ehem 'loud' stands nearby! - I was doing some nice dynamic pieces to show off a more subtle side to playing bass, but unfortunately, I was smothered by 'shed building' as I like to call it![/quote]

Personally I had no trouble spotting you! Hehe. Also tayste wasn't too difficult to spot with the big red amp and everything.

I personally was getting a bit tired off the constant drone of all the basses as the day dragged on. I think you have to be a real hardcore bass mainiac not to get a bit tired of it really i'm afraid to say. It was nice meeting everyone all the same.

[quote][/quote]

Who\'s the guy in the back of this pic with the flat cap on??

Because he\'s done the same thing at every bassday i\'ve been to.

Picked up a bass at a stand,
Plugged into an amp,
Turned it up loud,
Turned around to purposely face into the room where everyone is,
Then play really tasteless fast slap lines whilst starting at anyone who walks past.
Then after 5 minutes of that he puts the bass down,
Moves onto the next stand and does exactly the same thing.

Edited by J.R.Bass

[quote name='J.R.Bass' post='984669' date='Oct 11 2010, 06:06 PM']Who\'s the guy in the back of this pic with the flat cap on??

Because he\'s done the same thing at every bassday i\'ve been to.

Picked up a bass at a stand,
Plugged into an amp,
Turned it up loud,
Turned around to purposely face into the room where everyone is,
Then play really tasteless fast slap lines whilst starting at anyone who walks past.
Then after 5 minutes of that he puts the bass down,
Moves onto the next stand and does exactly the same thing.[/quote]

I know who you mean haha .. but don't know him!

[quote name='funkyspuke' post='984673' date='Oct 11 2010, 06:13 PM']I know who you mean haha .. but don't know him![/quote]

We said exactly the same thing! He looks around to check if anyone is watching him,He was really pleased when a 7 year old went up to speak to him!

Are you out there? If so sorry in advance you can see why I dont tell everyone who I am!

I for one enjoyed my first ever BassDay UK.
It was a pleasure to make the aquaintance of "Dood" and "Born to be Mild".
It seems there were many others who were there but of course no one knows who anyone else is.
I second the suggested meet up in the bar for next time!

I enjoyed the clinics and the Fender Bass Manual workshop.
It's just interesting to hear all of the stories and experiences of so many great players.
I have to admit the cacophony of players slapping themselves silly did get a bit much at times but what an array of fine instruments there were.
I hope this gets bigger every year,

I was disappointed that no big Hartke stand was there - especially as three endorsees were playing that day. Never mind eh?
I got a few photos but posting them here seems to be a bit of a problem
Try this [url="http://cid-f0ec7d84fcb82ba6.photos.live.com/browse.aspx/BassDay2010-10-10?sa=956042930"]link [/url] to view them.

He he. I just stuck to pentatonics up and down the neck as i didnt want to show myself up tripping finger over thumbs :) I did find however it is a very good way of comparing basses.

[quote name='tinyviking' post='984690' date='Oct 11 2010, 06:25 PM']I for one enjoyed my first ever BassDay UK.
It was a pleasure to make the aquaintance of "Dood" and "Born to be Mild".
It seems there were many others who were there but of course no one knows who anyone else is.
I second the suggested meet up in the bar for next time!

I enjoyed the clinics and the Fender Bass Manual workshop.
It's just interesting to hear all of the stories and experiences of so many great players.
I have to admit the cacophony of players slapping themselves silly did get a bit much at times but what an array of fine instruments there were.
I hope this gets bigger every year,

I was disappointed that no big Hartke stand was there - especially as three endorsees were playing that day. Never mind eh?
I got a few photos but posting them here seems to be a bit of a problem
Try this [url="http://cid-f0ec7d84fcb82ba6.photos.live.com/browse.aspx/BassDay2010-10-10?sa=956042930"]link [/url] to view them.[/quote]

where were the pics of Mo Foster and paul balmer taken? I didnt even see that room? I do remember Steve mentioning about Paul Balmer, but when I went outside the auditorium into the exhibition I couldt see him. Why i never asked i have no idea.

Edited by daz

I really enjoyed the day too. I didn't spend too much time looking at the gear stands as i didn't want to buy anything and as others have said found it frustrating hearing slapping everywhere !!
I don't understand why people just don't try gear with simple bass lines. As Victor said , the amazing technical players only seem to play on you tube or at clinics as they don't get gigs with bands.
I found the clinics really inspiring.Great stories and playing from all players and some great pieces of advice too. Mo Foster was fantastic , really enjoyed his Fender workshop , even Victor sat in and listened for a while !
Billy proved again to be a true gent going over and above what was expectd from him.I really like the way he hides nothing and has time for everyone.
I may go next year depending who will be appearing , well done to Stevie !

Edited by skychaserhigh

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='984680' date='Oct 11 2010, 06:17 PM']We said exactly the same thing! He looks around to check if anyone is watching him,He was really pleased when a 7 year old went up to speak to him!

Are you out there? If so sorry in advance you can see why I dont tell everyone who I am![/quote]

:) Everyone's out there :)

I bet that 7 year old was me :lol: I was the guy who was going round with him quite a bit as well...he's my teacher and more importantly a mate. I'm not taking any offence though, it wasn't my playing :)

[quote name='daz' post='984702' date='Oct 11 2010, 06:44 PM']where were the pics of Mo Foster and paul balmer taken? I didnt even see that room? I do remember Steve mentioning about Paul Balmer, but when I went outside the auditorium ino the exhibition I couldt see him. Why i never asked i have no idea.[/quote]

That was in the "Lecture Theatre" which was UNDER THE STAIRS.
I had to ask the very pretty young lady where it was - she was very helpful.