Why become a member? ×

Bass Day UK 2010

Gary

Right where we up to? My internet crashed so I'm lost now :)

Anna's definitely a good player, no denying that, but it sounded like she was slapping for the hell of and with no real pattern or thought into what she was playing, hence the lackage of feel, thus having a slight affect on the timing, but sod that as I'll end up rambling :lol:

I was quite guilty for picking up a bass and slapping a bit, but I like to play a lot of riffs, so I apologise to anybody who heard either Money, Love Machine or Superstition played quite iffyly...that would've been me :)

[quote name='goblin' post='986210' date='Oct 12 2010, 08:41 PM']Pretty much, although it's not possible to take every amp there, plus students were still using a lot of the building, but it could definitely work! I've had several recommendations of EBS and I've seen a cab I quite fancy, but before I commit, I'd really have liked to have a go in a nice environment![/quote]
Should've come with me a couple of years ago. Drove down to Brighton and back in a day to Bernie's shop. He arranged for a whole raft of amps and cabs for me to try. I was in there 4 hours. Top bloke, makes a mean brew, and gave my bass a free setup too.

I came away a very happy man with two Neo cabs, and also now own [b]the[/b] GB Spitfire he played through the rig I bought.

Well worth the long trip.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='986220' date='Oct 12 2010, 08:48 PM']One thing I would add and keep forgetting to before we go back to the whinging :) is that I have been 3 years in a row and no one has mentioned Stevie Williams himself? He has consistently played a great opening set of different genres each and every year so I take my hat off to him and feel he is a little over shadowed by the big names.For me he has done a great job every year from a musical point of view,Mad clothes though! :lol:[/quote]
Yeah, I really enjoyed his set this year. Set the day off very nicely.

That was a little bit of a "got to pick a pocket or two" type outfit :)

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='986285' date='Oct 12 2010, 09:40 PM']Should've come with me a couple of years ago. Drove down to Brighton and back in a day to Bernie's shop. He arranged for a whole raft of amps and cabs for me to try. I was in there 4 hours. Top bloke, makes a mean brew, and gave my bass a free setup too.

I came away a very happy man with two Neo cabs, and also now own [b]the[/b] GB Spitfire he played through the rig I bought.

Well worth the long trip.[/quote]

Hmm? no idea who this Bernie bloke is but he sounds like a decent chap, does he do finance? :)

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='986285' date='Oct 12 2010, 09:40 PM']Should've come with me a couple of years ago. Drove down to Brighton and back in a day to Bernie's shop. He arranged for a whole raft of amps and cabs for me to try. I was in there 4 hours. Top bloke, makes a mean brew, and gave my bass a free setup too.

Well worth the long trip.[/quote]

Sweet!

[quote name='daz' post='986288' date='Oct 12 2010, 09:45 PM']Hmm? no idea who this Bernie bloke is but he sounds like a decent chap, does he do finance? :)[/quote]

He was the guy on the GB Guitars stand, I spoke to him for quite a bit, seems a nice enough chap!

Anyone know what his leather gig bags are like? My Warwick premium line one has a hole in the bottom of it, so I fancy something a bit more plush :lol:

If you are looking at buying a cab(s) now would probably be a good time to buy from Bernie as being the ex-distributor for EBS he has a warehouse of stock that he is no doubt looking to move on... could be a good time to strike a deal.

Oh yeah, the gig bags are the business... made by Harvest, pricey but worth it. Again, I'm sure he'll do you a "bass day" deal if you say you saw them there.

[quote name='goblin' post='986280' date='Oct 12 2010, 09:36 PM']Right where we up to? My internet crashed so I'm lost now :)

Anna's definitely a good player, no denying that, but it sounded like she was slapping for the hell of and with no real pattern or thought into what she was playing, hence the lackage of feel, thus having a slight affect on the timing, but sod that as I'll end up rambling :lol:

I was quite guilty for picking up a bass and slapping a bit, but I like to play a lot of riffs, so I apologise to anybody who heard either Money, Love Machine or Superstition played quite iffyly...that would've been me :)[/quote]

Hi all - Yes it's me the slapper.

Spot on with the comment Goblin, it did become a bit of a slap feast at times. Unfortunately for me as it was my first bass day. I had two tracks pre recorded into Logic to play along to. One track a two hand tapping shuffle type of thing the other a bit of a Funk/Soul number. When I ran them though my little PA you could not hear anything including my bass so had to knock it on the head. In the end all I had available to me was the Mark Bass rig on the stand, I'm an SWR user so it wasn't the best for my bass or my sound. Tried running it through my Miller preamp but the Mark Bass took away the warmth.

Tried playing 'Let's Work' (Prince) and 'Power' (Miller) but it just didn't cut through all the other stuff. Tried some percussive slap and it cut through. By the time you came along I was a bit random with what I was playing which is strange for me as I like to keep the "1 in the pocket".

What I wanted from the day was to meet other bass players and have a chat and jam. I have suggested to Jon that maybe we should borrow a JamHub for next year (with headphones) so at least you could check out the basses without most of the interference, and we could have a decent jam. If I was to visit with a view to trying out a bass, knowing what the days are like, I would probably take my Korg Pandora along and some in ears headphones.

Well I've joined the basschat community now so it would be great to meet up next year.

Hannah.

PS!
Stevie Williams is a great player and have you heard of a guy called Doug Johns? If yo haven't already check out 'God, Fear, Money' by Me'Shell [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDbRKB7oLEQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDbRKB7oLEQ[/url] she knows how to lay down a solid groove.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='986220' date='Oct 12 2010, 08:48 PM']Stevie Williams himself[/quote]

Stevie is a fantasic bass player. A humble and open guy.
It's been a pleasure knowing him for the last 5 or 6 years, and i'm hopeful i'll know him for a good few more.

I really would like to steal his Jazz bass at some point though.

[quote name='HannahFOXX' post='986382' date='Oct 12 2010, 10:51 PM']Hi all - Yes it's me the slapper.

Spot on with the comment Goblin, it did become a bit of a slap feast at times. Unfortunately for me as it was my first bass day. I had two tracks pre recorded into Logic to play along to. One track a two hand tapping shuffle type of thing the other a bit of a Funk/Soul number. When I ran them though my little PA you could not hear anything including my bass so had to knock it on the head. In the end all I had available to me was the Mark Bass rig on the stand, I'm an SWR user so it wasn't the best for my bass or my sound. Tried running it through my Miller preamp but the Mark Bass took away the warmth.

Tried playing 'Let's Work' (Prince) and 'Power' (Miller) but it just didn't cut through all the other stuff. Tried some percussive slap and it cut through. By the time you came along I was a bit random with what I was playing which is strange for me as I like to keep the "1 in the pocket".

What I wanted from the day was to meet other bass players and have a chat and jam. I have suggested to Jon that maybe we should borrow a JamHub for next year (with headphones) so at least you could check out the basses without most of the interference, and we could have a decent jam. If I was to visit with a view to trying out a bass, knowing what the days are like, I would probably take my Korg Pandora along and some in ears headphones.

Well I've joined the basschat community now so it would be great to meet up next year.

Hannah.

PS!
Stevie Williams is a great player and have you heard of a guy called Doug Johns? If yo haven't already check out 'God, Fear, Money' by Me'Shell [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDbRKB7oLEQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDbRKB7oLEQ[/url] she knows how to lay down a solid groove.[/quote]

Hey Hannah,

I was on the stand next to you & thought you played some really interesting stuff early in the day - when i could actually hear what was going on!

Some very nice stuff using midi at one point?

[quote name='HannahFOXX' post='986382' date='Oct 12 2010, 10:51 PM']Hi all - Yes it's me the slapper.

Hannah.[/quote]

Ahh I was wondering if you were going to be around here. It was good to (sort of) meet you though. I noticed you speaking to Elly, and apparently you were asking about me :)

So was that rack rig at the back yours then? I missed the stuff you were doing at the beginning, as when i found Mancunian Way was closed I had to go down Oxford Road, but every time I go I forget you can't turn left off Portland Street :lol:

I get what you mean about the MarkBass rig though, it punched fine, but that was about all that impressed me...there's lots out there that punches. No matter which bass I played (blue one, horn fretless and yours) I could tell the amp was holding it back!

I also wanted to meet other players and jam as well, although I found it a bit harder than I expected, lots of people kept to themselves! It's a pain when I'm trying to get onto the pro circuit as well, especially considering all the bollocks that's going on with university business at the moment!

Hannah.

PS!
Stevie Williams is a great player and have you heard of a guy called Doug Johns? If yo haven't already check out 'God, Fear, Money' by Me'Shell [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDbRKB7oLEQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDbRKB7oLEQ[/url] she knows how to lay down a solid groove.[/quote]

I heard you playing earlier on, and thought you were ace...i think Billy Sheehan was struggling against the masses at some points.

they'll have it all sorted by next year, haha.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='986404' date='Oct 12 2010, 11:07 PM']I heard you playing earlier on, and thought you were ace...i think Billy Sheehan was struggling against the masses at some points.

they'll have it all sorted by next year, haha.[/quote]
I looked for you AT,
was around for a couple of hours(1400/to post stu hamm) with MB1 sorry to have missed you
I still owe you that cold one
Witterth

[quote name='witterth' post='986418' date='Oct 12 2010, 11:20 PM']I looked for you AT,
was around for a couple of hours(1400/to post stu hamm) with MB1 sorry to have missed you
I still owe you that cold one
Witterth[/quote]

I spotted you together when i was tied up elsewhere, had a pint with Martin later on.

We'll sort it.

I'm debating whether to do a Basschat Manchester Bassday in March or similar, my mate has just opened an ace live room in his pub on Oldham Street.

Maybe we could have a gathering/bash?

Trav
x

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='986420' date='Oct 12 2010, 11:23 PM']I spotted you together when i was tied up elsewhere, had a pint with Martin later on.

We'll sort it.

I'm debating whether to do a Basschat Manchester Bassday in March or similar, my mate has just opened an ace live room in his pub on Oldham Street.

Trav
x[/quote]
Top one, count me in, Id like to buy you that beer Andy
ATB
John

[quote name='molan' post='986399' date='Oct 12 2010, 11:04 PM']Hey Hannah,

I was on the stand next to you & thought you played some really interesting stuff early in the day - when i could actually hear what was going on!

Some very nice stuff using midi at one point?[/quote]

Was great seeing you again Barrie,

Have a great time in America and enjoy those foderas, remember, i'm not jealous one bit :)

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='986301' date='Oct 12 2010, 09:53 PM']Bernie Goodfellow, he of [url="http://www.gbguitars.co.uk"]GB Guitars[/url].

Very decent chap. No idea about the finance, but no harm giving him a call.[/quote]

Oh yes of course, he was at the top of the stairs at the side wasnt he? I talked to someone there about the threaded inserts and case hardedned bolts that they use to get a real firm grip from neck to body. Lovely guitars, though i cant now remember anyone trying one.(im sure thats just my memory though)

I wonder if they make up a bass for you if you supplied your own wood, and wound your own pickups?

People were definitely trying them. I didn't have a go, and I can't remember why to be honest! :)

If you provide your woods and pups, he'd probably build something, the guys at Wal will although not sure about pups, but with the right money, anything is possible isn't it? If I visit a luthier, I'd want some form of synth access doing. I've got a Roland GK3B, but it doesn't suit and of the basses and it's a bitch to make it look tidy :lol:

[quote name='HannahFOXX' post='986382' date='Oct 12 2010, 10:51 PM']If yo haven't already check out 'God, Fear, Money' by Me'Shell [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDbRKB7oLEQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDbRKB7oLEQ[/url] she knows how to lay down a solid groove.[/quote]

Me'Shell. YouTube. You are bubinga5 and I claim my 10 English pounds.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='986650' date='Oct 13 2010, 09:55 AM']Just going back to the "silent room" suggestion, there was a room where you could take upright and acoustic basses to listen to above the slapathon ofthe main area.[/quote]

I was not aware of that? Mayhap next year things could be sign posted in big dayglo colours, so nothing is missed (such as me missing Paul Balmer and Mo Foster, who were in some [i]secret room [/i]hidden under the stairs :)

Also if everyone coming in the door could be given an itinery with maybe a room and stall plan on the back, might be an idea too. Not criticising, just a thought for next time. As far as im concerned id go to one every month if there were one.

Edited by daz

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='986420' date='Oct 12 2010, 11:23 PM']I spotted you together when i was tied up elsewhere, had a pint with Martin later on.

We'll sort it.

Trav
x[/quote]

Thats the road where the Frog & bucket comedy club is, isn't it ?